Bandai/Revell B-Wing

I've just noticed from the Revell release sheet for 2020 that the company is boxing the Bandai kit of the B-Wing. I hope that will be a lot lighter on the wallet!

The Bandai Death Star II + Imperial Star Destroyer also get the Revell treatment, but in 1/14.5 Million and 1/2.7 Million

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I hope that will be a lot lighter on the wallet!

Is there any track record for wondering this?  Just curious. :)

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is there any track record for wondering this?  Just curious. :)

Well in my neck of the woods, the Revell boxing is going for just under 30 Euros and the Bandai boxing for between 35 and the low 40s (on Amazon) depending on how quickly I'd want it. 

The cheapest Bandai B-Wing I can find is about 70 Euros with postage so I hope a Revell boxing will be less than that in the shops. No info on the RRP yet.

The B-Wing's higher retail price usually meant it got hit with VAT and the PO handling fee when it hit these shores (at least mine did). I guess Revell's RRP will be higher than the Japanese price but hopefully still a bit cheaper than importing. At least we'll know the price we're paying up front and won't get any unfortunate surprises.

I've wanted to do another B-Wing since I finished my first, but the increasing Japanese price has put me off, so I'm pretty happy that Revell have decided to distribute this one. Hope we get the A-Wing too eventually.

Andy:cat:

• Like 4

Not sure why the B Wing is more expensive than any of the other comparable 1/72 Bandai SW kits. I was so looking forward to buying a B Wing when it was announced, but so disappointed that the price was - to me anyhow - unreasonable and has continued to increase. Yes, I am sure that the technical skills and effort required to tool such a kit are very costly and the detailing is beautifully done, as the other kits are... but I am loath to part with a large amount of cash for a 1/72 model. 

Bandai still list the standard B-Wing kit at 4500Yen, about £31.  Revell will no doubt get them at a better price but then need to add shipping, import duty and taxes, profit for themselves, distributor and shop.

The cheapest on eBay is about £50 but this would attract import duty if priced up correctly by the seller making it at least £65.

The 1/48 Snowspeeder retails at £29.95 from Revel but is 2400Yem, about £19 in Japan.

The increase in price over the Japanese price is consistent percentage wise and as with the current Revell/Bandai offerings the price will be lower than RRP.

It's a shame the don't bring the 1/5000 ISD. I know they already have 2 ISDs in their product range, but those are in completely different leagues.

And why no friggin' 1/144 Falcon?

Edited by Wulf

There so is a bandai 1:144 millenium falcon. Not that I'd pay £30+ for one mind.

Edited by andygif290368

13 minutes ago, andygif290368 said:

Not that I'd pay £30+ for one mind.

Really?  It's a pretty awesome kit in any of its various guises :)  Just goes to show that the term "expensive" is subjective :shrug:

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Really?  It's a pretty awesome kit in any of its various guises :)  Just goes to show that the term "expensive" is subjective :shrug:

It's a nice kit, I guess it's a scale thing £30+ for 1:144 seems a lot for a little.  Though there is £300 1:72 elephant in the room.  I'll just stick to the trooper figures and 1:72 ships.   I have a revell falcon, the resin add ons cost way more than the base kit.  One day I might even finish it.

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

After what I paid for the original release (2017) of the Bandai 1/72 PG Falcon I have to agree. Still worth every penny IMO. Still leaves me in awe when I look at the detailing and craftsmanship on the parts. And I'm still to afraid to tackle the beast for fear that my modelling skills are not yet worthy.

• Like 3

On 07/01/2020 at 20:16, Nocoolname said:

And I'm still to afraid to tackle the beast for fear that my modelling skills are not yet worthy.

I have that same problem :blush:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

And it's not like its the price of a standard Eduard or even Tamiya that we can just add a second to the stash... just in case... 😖

Absolutely... I'm scared to even look at mine in case I ruin it :unsure:

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 3:16 PM, Nocoolname said:

And I'm still to afraid to tackle the beast for fear that my modelling skills are not yet worthy.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

I have that same problem :blush:

Same here.

Which is why I'm currently building the 1/144 version. It's my first try at pre-shading  a build. 

IMG_20200105_165607-L.jpg

IMG_20200108_202136-L.jpg

Carl

• Like 2

Well that's a lot bigger than I thought it would be in 1:144, so ok the price point seems reasonable after all. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, andygif290368 said:

Well that's a lot bigger than I thought it would be in 1:144, so ok the price point seems reasonable after all. 

It's a decent size. It seems bigger than the 1/144 Fine Molds Falcon that I built a few years ago. That one is buried in the den or I'd take it out and do a comparison.