Question about French airdrops 1949-1954 in communist bloc countries

28ZComeback

Good morning and Happy New Year! 

I read recently that the French Secret Service conducted secret airdrops in 1949-1954 in several eastern bloc countries including Lithuania, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Poland and Byelorussia. The purpose of the airdrops was insertion of agents and/or the supply of active partisan groups. Does anyone know what type(s) of aircraft were involved   and whether they were French Air Force?  I suspect they were C-47’s but given the range, and mission requirements, they may have been as small as L-4’s or as large as B-17’s. Many thanks for any suggestions or ideas. 

• Like 1

According to "The Fairey Barracuda" by Matthew Willis  (MMP Publications), in 1948 10 late production Barracuda III were transferred to ELA 1./56 Vaucluse based at Persan-Beaumont for this purpose along with other types.

Here is a link to the airfield which mentions some of the types used by the unit (scroll down about a third of the way)

https://forgottenairfields.com/airfield-persan-beaumont-1152.html

For obvious reasons very little is known of these operations. He does note an operation in 1949 when a Barracuda flew to Hungary to stage a pick up but it failed when the pilot spotted machine guns around the landing field. There is reference to Le Fana de l'Aviation, No. 414 May 2004. It is a French language aviation magazine that I've never heard of before, but it may help you if you can track down a copy.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I can recommend FANA (or Fanatique as it is sometimes referred to) as a good source of aviation history.  Particularly French, naturellement, but not restrictively.

I second that. 'Le Fana' is a standard source in French language aviation publications.

• Thanks 1

"Jicéhem" who built the Frog kit, mentions he got the information about the 'greyish green' (not olive drab) from an old hand who remembered the Barracudas in service.

Or rather 'greenish grey' (gris verdâtre)...

Edited by ivand
  • Thanks 1