New Year's "What is It?"

Sabrejet

Just back from the Brooklands New Year gathering and as always well worth the effort. Loads of interesting stuff but I had to admit I didn't have a clue what this was. Fortunately the owner turned up so I was able to find out. So any ideas? No prizes other than the satisfaction of getting it correct. Clue: it's not a Porsche (one wag authoritatively told me it was a Porsche 935 (!) and most others who didn't take the time but had a bit more of a clue thought it was a 356). It's not a replica either.

x1

x2

x3

• Like 2

That didn't take long! Yes it is: according to the owner it's one of only five survivors and must be the only one in the UK.

Incidentally the owner called it a "D&S".

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

That didn't take long! Yes it is: according to the owner it's one of only five survivors and must be the only one in the UK.

Incidentally the owner called it a "D&S".

I like a challenge every now and then 🙂

Must be nice to own a car that virtually no one else has (this from a guy driving a black Octavia Combi, so I genuinely have no idea how it would feel 😉)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

At the Polish classic Ford forum one of the fellows living currently in Britain put a picture of a certain UK junkyard full of classic cars (various BMC, Rootes, Triumph, Rover, and Jaguar types, but some Japanese and a Rolls too. Of course 95% of the vehicles were to be identified easily, but there is one still unknown - an ivory (cream)  very low (under 4 ft) FHC standing between Gilbern Invader and Triumph Stag  https://www.capri.pl/image/forum/1302967/274538

Presumably it's a mid-engined 2-seater, the body looks more GRP than metal - so maybe some kit car? I'm almost sure I have seen such a vehicle somewhere in London some 30 years ago, but today I'm unable to find out what it is. Can anybody help me?

Cheers

Michael

Thank you for the reply, but Sterling/Sebring has upwards hinged canopy whereas the one pictured features standard forward-hinged doors :(

Cheers

Michael

True, I owned a VW Nova kit car about 13 years ago. 

the Cimbria SS has gullwings, but the front end isn’t quite right for that. Is there a better photo of it anywhere? 

maybe a Bradley GT 2?

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 1

This is the only photo we have - sorry...

Neither Cimbria nor Bradley :(

Look at the tremendous windscreen area and vertical forward edge of the door.

The nose looks like the Elva BMW, but the door top edge is much shorter.

Cheers

Michael

It looks the size of Davrian, Ginetta 15 and Crusader but it is neither of them.

Even if Clans had various noses and tails the doors, roof and windscreen were always the same.

Cheers

Michael

PS. After taking precise measures it's much bigger vehicle - comparing to Gilbern and Stag it looks the size of Porsche 911 (some 14 ft long, 15" wheels)

So - if it's a kit car - the donor should be rather Beetle- than Imp-like.

Edited by KRK4m
PS added

Ok, I’ll mark this solved. It’s is of the ilk in my first response. 

it’s an Avante kit car, based on a beetle. I can guarantee it. Take a look at photo number 2 here and tell me I’m wrong.

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ncm/catalogue-id-ncm-au10227/lot-25a22d73-4b92-47ca-b19e-aae901549541

I’ll take myself off and do a happy dance 🕺🏻

Coops

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

Ok, I’ll mark this solved. It’s is of the ilk in my first response. 

it’s an Avante kit car, based on a beetle. I can guarantee it. Take a look at photo number 2 here and tell me I’m wrong.

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ncm/catalogue-id-ncm-au10227/lot-25a22d73-4b92-47ca-b19e-aae901549541

I’ll take myself off and do a happy dance 🕺🏻

Coops

Yup, I should have known, there's one in the Southward Museum up the road!

It was marketed as the Avanti. (Not to be confused with the Evante, which was a Vegantune built improved Elan)

• Like 2

BINGO, Coops!

This is exactly the one from the picture. Even the neighbouring ones (Gilbern & Stag) are listed there as the previous and next lots.

I hoped that the BM Society could be able to find it out at last...

BTW what a barn find! Almost a hundred of such rarities at one place - tremendous 😃

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1