Revell 2020

dbostream

I think the top of the windscreen frame is much too heavy, which isn't helping.   There might be some scope to thin that upwards and make the screen appear a bit taller, if there's enough meat on the clear part.

...I'll definitely have at least one. Interestingly, they seem to have only included RHD wipers, despite building the test shot as an LHD... No problem for me, but I imagine a few US and Continental modellers might get a bit ticked off...

best,

M.

To my eyeballs, the overall car is stretched too much. The rear overhang is too long and flat, the front overhang is also too long.

If you look at a side view of a real E Type, it looks much shorter and almost 'dumpier' than the kit.
And yes - front screen is way too short whatever you do with it.
Rear view - the tailgate and rear window - completely wrong.
Wheels/tyres - too small for the arches.

'It's a 'NO' from me'...

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

...I'll definitely have at least one. Interestingly, they seem to have only included RHD wipers, despite building the test shot as an LHD... No problem for me, but I imagine a few US and Continental modellers might get a bit ticked off...

best,

M.

If they provide RHD and LHD for the interior then it would be odd if they don't do the same with the wipers. But it won't be a problem for me either, I prefer to build my British classic cars RHD even though we don't have it where I live.

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

To my eyeballs, the overall car is stretched too much. The rear overhang is too long and flat, the front overhang is also too long.

If you look at a side view of a real E Type, it looks much shorter and almost 'dumpier' than the kit.
And yes - front screen is way too short whatever you do with it.
Rear view - the tailgate and rear window - completely wrong.
Wheels/tyres - too small for the arches.

'It's a 'NO' from me'...

Admittedly I don't know anything about the process of making a new tool but you'd think with today's technology it would be possible to scan a real car and get really good accuracy. Well I am still looking forward to it and will buy at least one.

1 hour ago, Anteater said:

See, the thing about an E-Type is, it's not actually that good looking or well proportioned in real life either...

I'm looking for my hard hat right now...............:frantic:

I think the E-Types fame was a lot to do with what Enzo Ferrari apparentley said about it.

To me the rag top with it down looks the best, looks like it was aways supposed to be a convertable and someone thought a coupe was the way to go  😃

• Like 1

In our village, there is a pristine E-Type FHC (D reg) and to my eyes it IS a beautiful car. I once visited a Jaguar dealership near Leighton Buzzard many, many years ago where my cousin worked at the time.

They had a whole bunch of these beautiful cars in the showroom. I managed to sit in at least one and the bonnet went on for ever...

There are very few cars more beautiful than the E-type, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Anyone know the origin of this kit? https://www.revell.de/en/products/product-preview/62-shelby-cobra-289.html

I tried to look at scalemates but could not see when the original tools were made.

Apparently in the Stone Age. Everything horribly out of scale, almost a cartoon of the original.

Sorry - can't answer your question.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

1:25 with Revell usually indicates an US origin of the tools.

Interesting point Jan but there's no excuse for poor scale and proportions no matter what country.

I'm no expert but I believe you never see work this poor from Revell of Germany.

On 16/06/2020 at 20:15, Anteater said:

See, the thing about an E-Type is, it's not actually that good looking or well proportioned in real life either...

You bring the torches, I'll fetch the pitchforks....

On 16/06/2020 at 20:15, Anteater said:

Or perhaps the king is in the altogether.... Discuss.

20 hours ago, dbostream said:

Anyone know the origin of this kit? https://www.revell.de/en/products/product-preview/62-shelby-cobra-289.html

I tried to look at scalemates but could not see when the original tools were made.

Looking at that photo , it looks to me that it's a reissue of the Minicraft Cobra 289 , which was a reissue of the original Sunny Cobra 427 . The kit wasn't accurate for either variant , being a modification of the AMT Cobra 289 with various 427 features incorporated but still with the smallblock motor and transverse leaf suspension . 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 13:10, rs2man said:

Looking at that photo , it looks to me that it's a reissue of the Minicraft Cobra 289 , which was a reissue of the original Sunny Cobra 427 . The kit wasn't accurate for either variant , being a modification of the AMT Cobra 289 with various 427 features incorporated but still with the smallblock motor and transverse leaf suspension . 

There is now a photo of the sprues on the Revell website & I can confirm that it is indeed a reissue of the Sunny/Minicraft kit & is , therefore , as much use as a custard lighthouse 😦

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2020 at 12:14 AM, rs2man said:

There is now a photo of the sprues on the Revell website & I can confirm that it is indeed a reissue of the Sunny/Minicraft kit & is , therefore , as much use as a custard lighthouse 😦

But more useful than a chocolate frying pan?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a look at the link above there are now photos of the built up model. Just compare it to the box art and you see the windscreen looks way different. How could they get it so wrong? Also, maybe it is just me, the tires look off too.

spacer.png

Edited by dbostream

The windscreen is from a roadster - not a coupe. Completely wrong.

Could it be though, Revell are planning a roadster variant in the future and it would only involve altering the roof and upper tail...

Mind you, as usual the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

It's a BRITISH classic fgs.

• Like 1

Even if a roadster is planned in the future it is not like they have to retool half a kit to have the correct windscreen for both versions. Make an otherwise good kit look bad to reuse two parts for a roadster version is not a good decision imo. But maybe the average builder doesn't care. I wonder if it would be enough to create a new windscreen and change the windscreen surround to make it look right or if one has to change the roof as well.

As for the steering wheel, I agree but at least both options are available in the kit.

If only Pocher would make a 1/8 scale E-type ...

Are you listening Hornby ? Stop making italian tractors and give us some real cars. You're a british company FGS, give us some Jaguar, Lotus, Austin, Triumph, TVR and Aston Martin kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say, it looks pretty dreadful to me. It may be that the pictures are distorted? 

That steering wheel, way too thick as well as on the wrong side.

I'm trying to ignore the gaps around the door. Nope, failed.

Had not noticed the thickness of the steering wheel but you are right. I was very excited when this kit was announced but the more I look at photos the more disappointed I get. I am starting to wonder if I am better off with my Heller kits.

13 hours ago, Pascal said:

If only Pocher would make a 1/8 scale E-type ...

Are you listening Hornby ? Stop making italian tractors and give us some real cars. You're a british company FGS, give us some Jaguar, Lotus, Austin, Triumph, TVR and Aston Martin kits.

You can get the 1/8 DeAgostini E Type as a full kit now. A tad more than if it was Pocher but it builds into a stunning model with genuine wire wheels. LOADS of scope for upgrades too.

I'm currently building my 3rd...

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

• Like 3