Revell 2020

dbostream

4 hours ago, dbostream said:

A future (?) OTS should look really good though.

I really hope so!  If Revell had got it right with this FHC, I'd definately be buying one.  However, given the errors in shape (I could happily forgive other things such as interior or running gear errors) I'll wait a bit to see if one turns up at a discount (to then kit bash with a Heller FHC, or perhaps as a running gear donor for my Airtrax resin MkX), or for a future release as an OTS version, which looks likely given the windscreen height.  Annoyingly, the headlight covers aren't quite right either*, but still much better than any other E Type kit in this scale, and bettered only by the very expensive 1:8 partworks FHC.

* The shape of the lower edge is too curved - should be flatter, but looks fixable.

However, given that Revell have 3D scanned other cars, it really begs the question why couldn't they have done that with this too???  E Types are not so rare that they would not have been able to have access to one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

According to a thread elsewhere on here, there is an E Type OTS due for release next year.  Hopefully this is indeed a version of this, rather than the old '60s era OTS tooling.

Also listed are two Porsche 911s, a coupe and a Targa which are both described as being a 'G model' so strictly that means 1974 model year but is sometimes used to describe all the impact bumper cars up to '89.   Not sure if these are another rebox of the Fujimi Enthusiast series kits that Revell have done before, or new toolings of their own?  I wonder if these could be new variants of the 934 RSR kits that they released a few years ago?

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 4:40 PM, Paul H said:

According to a thread elsewhere on here, there is an E Type OTS due for release next year.  Hopefully this is indeed a version of this, rather than the old '60s era OTS tooling.

Isn't the old OTS tool 1:25? I hope this is based on the new tool and it seems it will be released just in time for my birthday. :) 

Edited by dbostream

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's rare that car modelers get a new tool of anything old.  Unlike armor and airplane modelers that get a better tool every other week we are still stuck with tools made in the '60s for most classics.  The E-Type has been kitted a bit more than that but all suffer from one malady or another.  Which is why this new Revell kit is so frustrating for me.  This wasn't just an accuracy mistake.  Someone saw the early sprue layouts and asked: "Why two completely different windshields?".  The answer the designer gave that day was likely weak and vague causing the accountants in the room to attack and require standardization among all the variants planned.  Anyone that works in a company has seen this.  And now we have a kit that could have been a perpetual classic but will always be condemned for a decision made by people that don't love cars, that don't build models, and who don't understand adult car modelers.  Tires are easily upgraded.  Doors and rear hatches can be opened up.  Wipers are easily sanded off windshields and re-polished.  But fabricating an accurate windscreen and roofline is a challenge for the most accomplished of modelers. Revell might have saved a few thousand euros in tooling.  But the years of perpetual sales this kit will never generate far outstrips that short-sighted decision.  I'll hug my Heller FHC kit a little tighter tonight. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Cratecruncher said:

Revell might have saved a few thousand euros in tooling.  But the years of perpetual sales this kit will never generate far outstrips that short-sighted decision.  I'll hug my Heller FHC kit a little tighter tonight. 

Fully agree.  Whilst there are other flaws / shortcuts / simplification in detail elsewhere (e.g. the way the top wishbone is moulded with the front subframe), they do not jump out, are easily tweaked by those who would spot them, and the overall engineering behind the kit looks brilliant.  Despite those, it had the potential to be truly fantastic, if only the shape was right...

I really wanted this to be the ultimate E Type kit.  Even though I have several Hellers (both OTS & FHC) & a Gunze OTS, I would definately be buying the Revell FHC were it not for the issue with the shape.  I would even be happy with a curbside, if that was the trade off for accuracy!  As it is, I may still get one (possibly the OTS), but am no longer in any rush & it won't be jumping to the front of the building queue.

• Like 1

Only way we get a good E-Type is if Tamiya makes one. Hopefully the Revell OTS is good at least it looks better. Every time I see the FHC built it just looks wrong doesn't matter that the builder has done an excellent job.

Edited by dbostream