Revell 2020

dbostream

On the vehicle front, quite a few interesting new items in 1:24 as well as the new E Type FHC

07668.jpg

However the pic they show looks like it's the ancient 1:8 Monogram one though, due to the scale of the wire wheels and slightly wonky headlight bezels (not only is the shape not right but the bezels are too high compared to the bumper and sidelight / indicator cluster - hopefully Revell will get this area right on the new one!

VW T2 late type bay window (snap fit)

07667.jpg

and also a camper version of their recent T1 Split screen

07674.jpg

Just now, Codger said:

-and a 1/12 300SL. I wish it were Tamiya however instead of Revell...............

Whilst there isn't info on its source here http://ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hersteller_News/Revell_News_2020.html  according to another forum, the 300SL is probably the old Renwal one.

1 minute ago, Paul H said:

Whilst there isn't info on its source here http://ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Hersteller_News/Revell_News_2020.html  according to another forum, the 300SL is probably the old Renwal one.

Yes I have read that too. And apparently the old Renwal is no good according to people who have owned one.

• 1 month later...

A pic of Revell's new E Type Series 1 FHC:

Revell_etc_17.jpg

From here:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen/Nuernberg2020/Bilder_VH/101.html

My initial impressions are rather mixed.  The bonnet, in particular the headlights (which virtually every other E Type kit has got wrong to varying degrees, ranging from passable to appalling) looks like it could be the best yet.  However, the windscreen area looks very poor, with the top of the glass appearing far too low - it should be pretty much in line with the upper edge of the side windows.  I hope that this is simply a trick of the photo due to it being unpainted, as if not, and if that is what they are tooling up, then the kit will be little more than a parts donor to use the front end to improve either Revell's own very old tool OTS or Heller's OTS & FHC, all of which haven't quite got the headlights right (Heller's effort is much better in my opinion, and at the passable end of the scale), but are otherwise pretty decent.

• Like 1

I remember that Gull Wing. The rubber tyres very quickly started to melt the rims. They also melted the white laminate on the shelf where it stood. The model is long gone but the shelf is still marred.

The Airfix Bentley Blower did survive at least 40 years before the rims was gone while the Mecedes wheels only lasted 5-6 years.

Its emberassing for a manufacturer like Revell of Germany, not to show german high engineering as what we known in the world. ok its a prototype of a Jaguar E-Type and we dont know what they want change still, but last year i was happy that they release the F-18 Hornet in 1/32, but i was really disappointed about the engineering, so many fit issues, i have read so many build threads, and some modelers says the kit is trash, or ready for garbage.

a shame

That E-Type photo makes it look like they used the roadster screen instead of the taller coupe one?

Personally I prefer the coupe, as I think it's better balanced visually.  I must be a bit unusual in thinking that, in the past classic car market-bubbles coupes would be chopped back to roadsters as the open types made more money, now i think originality is more important.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:35 AM, Paul H said:

Found another pic of the E Type:

02.jpg

From here: https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=53549&language=en

The windscreen and roof look different on the box art. The box art looks more like what you described as accurate. This is just a prototype but I really hope they don't mess up the body shape as this is, for me personally, the most exciting new tool for years.

Edited by dbostream

The box art is the old 1:8 Monogram one - the shape is good aside from around the headlights, and yes, that is pretty much how the roof & screen should look.

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

Found this photo on another forum, looks like the side windows look high because the frame is molded in.

Thank you for the pic - it answers a lot of questions!  Seeing it much closer up, the roof & screen do look much more promising, and it is far clearer now how the parts are supposed to look once everything is painted and foiled.  As I already mentioned above, I had hoped it was a trick of the photo, and seeing your one makes it appear that may indeed be the case.  It struck me as strange it should be off, given how good the nose looks & also that I'm sure I read something a while back relating to the L-R Series 3 which suggested that Revell AG now scans vehicles to get the shape right.  Interestingly, it looks like Revell may have moulded the windscreen and its chrome trim as one part, which means that the screen won't be incorrectly recessed as it often is on models.

The wire wheels are a definate disappointment though - whilst once painted / chromed and given a wash, they may appear a bit better, but they just look like cross spoke alloys as there should be spokes running out on the wheel centre, level with right behind the spinner, rather than ending where the diameter of the wheel centre is greatest.  The injection moulded wires on Tamiya's Jag Mk2 and Morgan 4/4 do this so much more convincingly.  Also, in an engine bay pic I saw elsewhere, the highly visible ball joints and steering arms are unnecessarily chunky & overscale.  This seems to be Revell's habit these days - compare the underpinnings of Tamiya Mini Cooper & 2CV along with and Italeri's Land Rover Series 3 to Revell's offerings.

However, one very interesting thing shown by this pic is that the sills appear to be moulded integrally with the rest of the body, as the seam which has plagued all previous E Type models is not visible!  I guess that the rear valance is still moulded separately though with the seam hidden by the bumper (in the same way that the spotwelded flange joining the valance to the rear quarter is hidden on the real car), to aid installation of the interior.

After initial disappointment based on the first pics I saw (now mostly countered by the close-up pic above), shape wise this looks like it has the potential to be the definitive injection moulded E Type kit in any scale, especially if Revell have indeed managed to engineer a solution to the sill seam...  I cannot wait for pics of the final model!

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

An update on the new Revell E Type, as there's a very comprehensive set of test shots that have just been posted on an American forum:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/153139-revell-124th-scale-jaguar-e-type-fhc-test-shots/

Whilst Revell have fixed the wire wheels (nowhere near Tamiya Jag Mk2 / Morgan though), they are a vast improvement over the ones shown in the pics posted previously on here.  The bonnet & headlights look really good, and there is a huge amount to recommend this kit - however, as feared, the windscreen is far too low, and it just looks completely wrong.  Having overlaid the blueprints of an OTS onto those of an FHC, the Revell screen height appears to be that of an OTS, which (if the blueprints I have are correct) is noticably lower than that of the FHC (the OTS & FHC screens are not the same in reality as Pilkington list different part numbers for them).

However, looking at the sprues and parts layout, everything is set up so that it would be very easy to release an OTS too.  I can only assume that this is Revell's plan, and that the incorrect screen height is due to the kit part for the screen surround (whch is separate & on what looks like it will be a chome sprue) being shared across both versions.  I can find no contact details on Revell's website, but I do hope that someone is able to point out this error to them, and that it can be fixed before the kit is finally released.  Getting the shape of the screen that wrong is such a missed opportunity, especially when it looks like they are the first company to finally get the headlights spot on.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:31 AM, Paul H said:

An update on the new Revell E Type, as there's a very comprehensive set of test shots that have just been posted on an American forum:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/153139-revell-124th-scale-jaguar-e-type-fhc-test-shots/

Whilst Revell have fixed the wire wheels (nowhere near Tamiya Jag Mk2 / Morgan though), they are a vast improvement over the ones shown in the pics posted previously on here.  The bonnet & headlights look really good, and there is a huge amount to recommend this kit - however, as feared, the windscreen is far too low, and it just looks completely wrong.  Having overlaid the blueprints of an OTS onto those of an FHC, the Revell screen height appears to be that of an OTS, which (if the blueprints I have are correct) is noticably lower than that of the FHC (the OTS & FHC screens are not the same in reality as Pilkington list different part numbers for them).

However, looking at the sprues and parts layout, everything is set up so that it would be very easy to release an OTS too.  I can only assume that this is Revell's plan, and that the incorrect screen height is due to the kit part for the screen surround (whch is separate & on what looks like it will be a chome sprue) being shared across both versions.  I can find no contact details on Revell's website, but I do hope that someone is able to point out this error to them, and that it can be fixed before the kit is finally released.  Getting the shape of the screen that wrong is such a missed opportunity, especially when it looks like they are the first company to finally get the headlights spot on.

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out and now it is obvious even to me. Cannot believe they don't see it I hope it is not too late to fix. Even if they are planning on releasing a OTS (I sure hope so) and obviously want to reuse as many parts as possible they should not sacrifice accuracy just to reuse a couple of parts. That would be a really poor decision if you ask me when they have spent all this money on a new tool and still not get it right. I went to my stash and looked at the Heller FHC and OTS and the windscreens are noticeably different. I know the Heller kits are not perfect either. Maybe we have to wait for Tamiya to get this right one day? :)

Having said that, I still look forward to the release of this kit very much as the rest of it looks really promising.

Edited by dbostream

The Heller kits were very good for their day, and are still ok.  Whilst not perfect with the roof / screen, the Heller ones are a lot better in that area than what we are seeing here.  I've done a quick mod to one of those test shot images to highlight what is wrong - it's not just the screenheight,  but the corner of the side window next to the screen isn't right either, and it makes the problem look worse:

y4mkayAnP5LuxGqnr28efmTRDykFrbJ-YEwdjvdi

Just looking at this a bit more closely and I'm not sure it is as bad as it appears on first impression. Yes, the windscreen top looks a lot lower than the side windows, but I think this may be a trick of the materials. The windscreen surround I presume will be a chromed part, but it looks as though the top of the windscreen is where it will be on the completed model. But look as those side windows - the chrome trim is modelled into the clear plastci rather than the coloured body plastic, making them look higher than they would once the window chrome is added in. Once you take that into account, I don't think that the line of the tops of the window is that far from the real thing.

I hope you are right - I've coloured up that same profile photo to see & it does look a bit better:

y4mFrMmyGlB8XLu1yt3niQSk-PTKR_4rWmXbm1g7

However, as the gutter has chrome trim too (there is no body colour section on the A pillars on the real car), that dictates the gutter width, and now the screen looks a bit low again (but not as bad as in the all grey pics).  Examining all the images in that thread, the gutter looks like it is moulded a bit heavily, which doesn't help - I could have made it thinner in the pic below, but then the A pillar would be showing a body colour section.

y4m3yFppgjhWACLnoaf3jfN_-sxpxEbFFpWXkN9H

Compare to the real thing:

y4mzpZ0D4qYv1Cob_CdVhcX9SwpveBjzJuV8zZWH

y4mRajYhpsUswOgCnd0qpgQGNG0D2nxo_yffdH1R

I hope though that these concerns will all be proven wrong when it is finally released.  I really want Revell to get this kit right since everything else looks really good in terms of detail and engineering, and if right, then it will be easily the best E Type kit in this scale.  Revell are certainly the first with this kit (aside from the recent 1:8 partworks one, which I don't think is comparable!) to get the headlights correct.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I think I can live with that flaw. Just to have an E-Type alongside my Mk II in my 'car park' would be great.

Cheers,

Alan.

P.S. I might just invest in the Heller one even though I hear it's a bit of a pig to build!

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

P.S. I might just invest in the Heller one even though I hear it's a bit of a pig to build!

I have not built my Heller kits yet but the thing I dislike the most about them is that the windscreen wipers are molded into the windscreen and not as separate parts.

I love the analysis that's going into the perceived variance but I totally get why it's a big deal for some. For example, I couldn't have a Revell Mk2 Golf in the house as it would drive me mad. If it's not actually right it's got to look right at least.

I'll reserve final judgement on the E-Type until I see one painted up, but I still reckon it'll get away with it.