Accurate armour A34 Comet building advice

Radpoe Spitfire

30 years ago I was a very lucky 20 year old, I became the first volunteer to work on the A.F.Budge  military collection at Retford. The first vehicle I worked in was his Comet.

When i had chance to buy an Accurate armour kit for £10, I snapped it up! Then it was deep joy when I discovered they had used A.F's tank as reference🤗👍👍

Over the years I have, on and off, had a look at the kit, but now have decided to make a start on it. While I've used resin and multi media after market stuff, I've never built a complete kit. Any advice please (other than don't build it) on how to go on, or what pitfalls can I expect.

I'm just staggered that with all Budge's money from mining etc that he had volunteers working on his collection.

I am tempted to say to swap it for a Bronco all-plastic kit if you are at all worried.

Wash the resin parts in washing up liquid before you start.  Mould release fluid can prevent glue and paint adhesion.  Stock up on cyano adhesive.  Pay attention to cleaning up the parts, especially the edges of "blocky" parts: you can get some less-than-square edges.  It is has resin gun barrels, get hold of an RB Models aluminium one and some RB brass BESA barrels.  If it has the flat resin track sections, these can be a nightmare to bend to shape in hot water and get to fit properly.  Bronco sell their plastic indy links separately and I imagine Friul and others have metal ones.  Be very careful with handling during building.  Small parts are easily knocked off with modern cyano and should you happen to fumble and drop it the damage is likely to be terminal as it will be pretty heavy.  A good primer will be essential before painting.

Resin dust is nasty stuff to inhale, so make sure you wear a particle mask for cutting, filing and sanding - and hoover up the dust and wash your hands as soon as you finish.  Eye protection is a good idea too.

• 9 months later...

Sorry I am only replying to thank you for your advice, other than a few detail sets, I have not tackled a full kit. Unfortunately it's been a difficult year with family illness, so I haven't been on the forum very often.👍

My volunteering for Budge was more a case of by chance than him having a number of volunteers.  A trip to Retford found me looking in his yard at three Churchill hulls. He actually had team of paid staff, but allowed me to volunteer due to my experience with aviation restoration. I did eventually get full time work, but this was at his airport at  nearby Gamston. However, paid or not, it was a privilege to work on such a variety of Military vehicles, plus the experience was priceless, especially being able to see some rarer armour (  his Stuart M3A3 springs to mind). It turned out to be a wonderful chapter in my life and one I am blessed to have had the opportunity too have been given it. 

The quality of restoration work was superb- arguably two of the best while I worked for him was his Chuchill VII and Cromwell. This latter tank  brought to full running order began with parts from 4 hulks recovered from Salisbury plain. 

My only sadness was to find out that the collection was broken up, whatever the reason was, IMO the world of MV  preservation and restoration was made far richer thanks to his involvement.👍👍

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 1