The Night Believes it is Endless (1/72 Lysander III)

You and your gumdrops! :) 

Er, yes, with a triangular bit on one end to go between the frame.

As you’re going to scratch it I would use the framing and those pictures to make something that fits - the exact shape won’t really be seen once it’s all together eh?

On 1/3/2020 at 6:54 AM, dnl42 said:

Also, the Dowty internally sprung wheels had different positions in flight and on the ground.

If they're the same wheels as used for a Gloster Gladiator, you could pinch the appropriately weighted ones from the recent Airfix kit. Covered wheels, as far as I can tell, so you'd have to be inventive if spoked ones are required (or spring for the SBS ones, if you're willing to spend the money).

On 1/1/2020 at 10:02 AM, Procopius said:

Today would have been Noor's 106th birthday. May her name liveth forevermore.

Edward, I don't know if you have access to British TV, but Noor Inayat Khan has just appeared in an episode of Doctor Who.

By all accounts, a fair number of people are looking her up online. And a good thing too.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

So just to be sure, are you saying this is an oil tank?

24088020548_4b8f6a6746_b_zpsnl22sisx.jpg

From what I've seen online (I know, I know...) the indication seems to be it's an additional (and optional) fuel tank. Did oil tanks generally have dual feed lines, one on either side?

5 hours ago, CedB said:

These pictures of the tank from my 1/48 build might help

I think this pipe at the back is supposed to go into the other tank?

42944132085_0bde720e4b_z.jpg

My interpretation of these photos is the large inverted u shaped tank is an extra fuel tank, the smaller triangular tank is likely to be the extra oil tank. In the photo in  @Procopius post, it shows as a slightly different colour, more zinc chromate green that the grey green of the larger tank, so making me believe it is a seperate tank rather than an extension of the lager one. Maybe? :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 2

The larger internal tank is the regular fuel tank fitted to all Lysanders. The extra fuel for the SOE Lizzies was carried under the fuselage. The smaller internal tank is the extra oil tank.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Edward, I don't know if you have access to British TV, but Noor Inayat Khan has just appeared in an episode of Doctor Who.

Quite a scary underlying story line to the first two episodes though....(& not the 'aliens')

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

My interpretation of these photos is the large inverted u shaped tank is an extra fuel tank, the smaller triangular tank is likely to be the extra oil tank. In the photo in  @Procopius post, it shows as a slightly different colour, more zinc chromate green that the grey green of the larger tank, so making me believe it is a seperate tank rather than an extension of the lager one. Maybe? :unsure:

Steve.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think Steve has a point.  That would be a LOT of oil just to cope with extended ops

I don't disagree, but my copy of Hugh Verity's We Landed By Moonlight arrived today, and he mentions the oil tank resting behind the pilot, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (Incidentally, he mentions Noor's flight; she wore a green oilskin, apparently.)

5 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

By all accounts, a fair number of people are looking her up online. And a good thing too.

To some extent I do (I have a subscription to Britbox), but while I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys the revived Doctor Who, for me it ended in 1989 with "Survival". I'm glad Noor is back in the public consciousness; I hope their portrayal of her was respectful. 

In any case, I figured I might as well get started on throwing something together to go in that spot, oil tank or fuel tank or whatever.

I cut a piece of thick plasticard to size:

IMG_20200105_184524

Then cut two more pieces like it, plus my right index finger. (It turns out that it can make a great deal of difference whether or not you're holding the scalpel upside down.)

IMG_20200105_191609

I also cut a delta out of plasticard, after some not-terribly-scientific but serviceable measuring.

IMG_20200105_184530

That will be used, or lost and replaced and the replacement will then be used, later.

Then I used a spare Spitfire chin from an Eduard sprue I had left over, hacked it up, and glued it atop the three pieces of plasticard. Then I added thinner pieces fore and aft to close it up.

IMG_20200105_191614

Then I went over it with Mr Surfacer 500.

IMG_20200105_192036

Once it dries, I'll sand it down more or less. I may use my punch and die to add the filler cap up top and the drain ports or whatever on either side. 

Normally I absolutely would not entertain this level of effort, but Noor died for me and since this is somehow for her, I can't justify not doing it.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I don't disagree, but my copy of Hugh Verity's We Landed By Moonlight arrived today, and he mentions the oil tank resting behind the pilot,

oil tank or fuel tank or whatever.

I'd agree that what the tank is exactly is not the important thing necessarily, but having a tank there is. Go for it.

(It turns out that it can make a great deal of difference whether or not you're holding the scalpel upside down.)

You won't do that again in a hurry, will you. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the tank PC :) 

Is the 'V' bit upside down though? On my Eduard kit it had the pointy bit on the top… 

On the rear framing, the V points up like so: /\, but on the front, it's the other way 'round. No points for scaring me, you naughty man.

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh phew, thanks PC, I can now have a peaceful day :) 

And PC can go back to peaceful sleep......I reckon that’s a 2 a.m. Chicago time reply you forced from him then Ced.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Yes, a shame so little of her story was told in the show.

But surely you would not expect them to detract from the story of the 'right - on' idiot Doctor and her idiotic crew?

This new writer bloke keeps throwing historical names into the hat, apparently just because he can

(Rant over now, I was very upset that Noor was no more than baggage)

I like the way Lizzie is developing Edward, very nicely done

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

And PC can go back to peaceful sleep......I reckon that’s a 2 a.m. Chicago time reply you forced from him then Ced.....

It was indeed, and I got yelled at this morning for going to bed so late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Sorry for the prolonged absence, folks, I've been pretty worn out and depressed this week, and so I called in sick to work today and slept until 11:30. I'm still depressed, but I've had a lot of sleep. 

I think, in a way, going to the UK was almost bad for me, because I had it to look forward to for so long that it sustained me, and then when I was actually there, everyone was so nice and went out of their way for me. The taste of the good life is almost always worse than nothing at all, at least for me. When I was extremely poor, I had the opportunity to house-sit for a wealthy family for a week, and it made returning to my condemned (literally) apartment two hours by train and bus from my awful job even worse. Right now, life seems pretty drab and colourless (not helped by the usual bleakness of Illinois in winter, although it's at least a comparatively mild one this year), and it seems likely that the run of current events for the foreseeable future will be profoundly adverse. I wish the good guys always won, but as Yeats says:

The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

But that's always the way, isn't it? Anyway, I can't exert even an iota of control over the things in this world that matters to me -- I'm quite insignificant -- and so I'll settle for building my model. 
"Greater men than me have gone to their graves having made equally meaningless differences in the world."

After much sanding down of the sides of the frames and gouging out of the mounting troughs in the fuselage with my micro-chisel, the cockpit framework more or less clicks into place.

IMG_20200110_143704

Ukraine is truly the land of subcomponents whose parts are greater than the internal volume available to the whole. 

I added the little triangular parts to the oil tank with pieces of thick plasticard:

IMG_20200110_141007

IMG_20200110_140957

Then sprayed it:

IMG_20200110_143148

The kit comes with PE seatbelts (that's good!) but they look way too huge (that's bad!), so I dug out some Eduard ones. 

IMG_20200110_144122

Only one of those can possibly be right. 

IMG_20200110_145451

The Eduard lap belts are in and look good. I've been burned one too many times by using Gator Grip glue and having everything wobble away from me over and over again, so I sued CA glue and accelerant to attach them to the seat. 

For the shoulder belts, does anyone have a photo of how they should go on the seat? I don't know and I don't want to put them on and THEN have some Clever Dick show me a photo showing I've done it wrong. That would make me cross.

• Like 17
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I can't exert even an iota of control over the things in this world

I pointed out your avatar to the daughter, and said you had a pet hedgehog (or did) and she said it was cute, and I then foolishly looked up the pet hedgehogs in the UK, and found you can get the African pygmy ones for not really sill amounts of cash.... and more foolishly showed some of this information to the daughter....  who now wants a pet hedgehog...  Can I add this to your list of woes? 

I'm going to push for another Hamster though, as well already have the kit. 

20 minutes ago, Procopius said:

For the shoulder belts, does anyone have a photo of how they should go on the seat? I don't know and I don't want to put them on and THEN have some Clever Dick show me a photo showing I've done it wrong. That would make me cross.

found on net.  

e36fcc937650c0589dc4fb4c83c31e0f.jpg

FuelTanknSpar2_zpscdpgrsmy.jpg

FuelTanknSpar_zps8llbn2y1.jpg

PuckMcrop_zpswecr0vjr.jpg

last 3 from here

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=254068&page=1&ord=1

scrolling down.....

6215001883_f97deb6fc9_b_zpsr25bprcd.jpg

I suspect this is lot easier to do on a laptop than a phone....

Close enough for government work...?

finally...

33 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm still depressed, but I've had a lot of sleep. 

Sleep always helps....

This winter I bought some Vitamin D capsules., and I seem to have been a bit cheerier than usual, even the relentless jolliness of xmas wasn't too trying,    it's not been very cold in the UK but it's rained a lot so it's been pretty miserable...

They won't hurt you, and are pretty cheap. 

HTH

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

That interior is a little gem PC.

I have no idea what the shoulder belts should look like (that's bad!), but that means I'll be in no place to criticize when you place them (that's good!) Also, your writing style continues to be the best (that's good!), and my poor imitation here is bad (that's uhhh bad!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1