The Night Believes it is Endless (1/72 Lysander III)

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

See, everyone else immediately thought sex stuff, but my mind went here:

xe0kc294oemy.jpg

Haven't had any good Chiantis recently, have you Bill?

Uh, guys - it's a TELESCOPE! And no, you can't use it for that peeping-tom stuff, it won't focus that close. Unless, of course, said target is on Mars. And I'm not sure I want to see a naked Martian.  :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. And I drink good stuff, like Doom Bar.    :drink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Ah yes, Doom Bar

I am lucky enough to have one of their pint glasses which I regularly use.....

Mmmmmm

Geoff

Sorry, off topic

• Like 3

Winston destroyed my Lysander.

IMG_20200323_164256

I was working and Mrs P took a nap, and he went into my work area and used my pocket knife and an airbrush needle to pull off the clear parts, pry off both legs, and scoop out the entirety of the cockpit interior. I don't even know if I can get another kit, what with the state of the world, and this one was special to me. Really heartbreaking, maybe the first time one of my children has hurt me. I'm sure it won't be the last, but that doesn't make it easier.

• Sad 34

Slight update: there was one Lizzie left in stock at a California-based retailer, so I've ordered it in the hopes it makes its way here. I'll have to suspend this build for a while, I fear.

• Like 13

Holy :poop:

I can just about imaging the severe butt- whooping I would have gotten, if I had even done something like that to something of my parents.

Of course, way back then it was legal and allowed to spank your misbehaving children.

Hang in there, Edward. Controlled breaths and just step away for the Lizzie and Winston. Make sure to save the pictures  to show him sometime in the future.

Chris

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im so sorry to hear that Edward... Silver lining in the cloud that you were able to find a kit. I do need to ask Is Winston still alive ? 😉 ... Im sure he is, but I do hope you sat him down and at least told him how hurtful that was. 

And then take away all his toys and privileges for a week — maybe two!

• Like 1

Oh, that is a harsh fate for your hard work.

A couple of builds of mine fell prey to cats rather than children. It's frustrating nevertheless.

I hope the youngster has learned the errors of his ways without too many tears.

• Like 1

Damn. I honestly had a empathetic "dagger in the heart" moment when I saw that photo. I feel gutted for you, especially due to the amount of work you put into it. If there's an upside, at least you're forewarned about the kit's foibles and the second one should be easier.

• Like 2

I’m so sorry for you Edward, my heart sank when I saw the little pile of bits. 😔 He didn’t know what he was doing, he’s only young. It’s a bitter pill to swallow,  unconditional love’s a bitch sometimes. He’s done wrong for sure but don’t be too hard on him eh. Fingers crossed the new kit makes its way to you. Stay safe and keep your lovely family safe too. It can be re made and even better the second time around. 🤛 

Jont.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Gaaaaah! What WAS he thinking?

Speechless :( 

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Oh man. 

Sorry.

He said he just went to go turn on and off my armature magnifier/lamp (which he removed the tension springs from), and then he sort of trailed off. He's very destructive of his own toys, I think it's just his nature, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Holy :poop:

I can just about imaging the severe butt- whooping I would have gotten, if I had even done something like that to something of my parents.

Of course, way back then it was legal and allowed to spank your misbehaving children.

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

And then take away all his toys and privileges for a week — maybe two!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im so sorry to hear that Edward... Silver lining in the cloud that you were able to find a kit. I do need to ask Is Winston still alive ? 😉 ... Im sure he is, but I do hope you sat him down and at least told him how hurtful that was. 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m so sorry for you Edward, my heart sank when I saw the little pile of bits. 😔 He didn’t know what he was doing, he’s only young. It’s a bitter pill to swallow,  unconditional love’s a bitch sometimes. He’s done wrong for sure but don’t be too hard on him eh. Fingers crossed the new kit makes its way to you. Stay safe and keep your lovely family safe too. It can be re made and even better the second time around. 🤛 

Jont.

When I found him out, he sprinted off (with a bowl of blueberries) and locked himself in our closet (where he dumped out the blueberries...why?). I could probably get through that door if I needed to, but when I banged on it, he opened it up, and I explained to him that he'd hurt my feelings, and that he needed to come get me if he wanted to look at my models or touch anything, and that I loved him and he was more important to me than a plastic toy (could be true). My own parents had no hesitation whatsoever when it came to spanking, and it didn't work, since I was a little monster anyway. But that's the terror of being a parent, isn't it? Each moment of every day is a tenuous step into the unknowable future, and you can never be sure that you haven't condemned some poor prostitute to lying dismembered in your greatest creation's bathtub.

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Damn. I honestly had a empathetic "dagger in the heart" moment when I saw that photo. I feel gutted for you, especially due to the amount of work you put into it. If there's an upside, at least you're forewarned about the kit's foibles and the second one should be easier.

Yes. It may take me a while to get back to it, though. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Edward, you need to install on of these on the access door, up high enough that he'll be a teen before he can reach it without something to stand on.

49692371346_103d819997_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Edward, you need to install on of these on the access door, up high enough that he'll be a teen before he can reach it without something to stand on.

Chris

We've talked about those for their bedrooms, no joke. The door to the basement has a lock, we just don't know if we have a key for it or not. The big issue is that this is a more open basement than the last one, and it's also where the washers and dryers (the house came with two of each) are, so it would inconvenience Mrs P.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

My own parents had no hesitation whatsoever when it came to spanking, and it didn't work, since I was a little monster anyway. But that's the terror of being a parent, isn't it? Each moment of every day is a tenuous step into the unknowable future, and you can never be sure that you haven't condemned some poor prostitute to lying dismembered in your greatest creation's bathtub.

Yes. It may take me a while to get back to it, though. 

Wow! You went a bit dark there! But I can see how you did. It must be a bit worrying to think of possible futures for Winston with that destructive bent of his.

Yeah, parenting is definitely scary. I'm lucky my 3 girls made it to adulthood okay. At least so far.

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you need help walling off your man cave let me know. I'm not the best being disabled and all. However i can still use a drill with a screw bit to hang drywall and i can still swing a hammer. 

Thanks man. To be honest, the basement ceiling is low for me, and I think you'd be in extreme discomfort given your far greater height. However, I have a small army of small, monkey-like relatives who seem to enjoy this sort of thing (and I've hung drywall before as well), so if need be, I can go that route.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

locked himself in our closet (where he dumped out the blueberries...why?). I could probably get through that door if I needed to, but when I banged on it, he opened it up, and I explained to him that he'd hurt my feelings, and that he needed to come get me if he wanted to look at my models or touch anything, and that I loved him and he was more important to me than a plastic toy (could be true). My own parents had no hesitation whatsoever when it came to spanking, and it didn't work, since I was a little monster anyway. But that's the terror of being a parent, isn't it? Each moment of every day is a tenuous step into the unknowable future,

So, proof, not that any were needed, that you are a great parent.
Winston needs to know that you are sad. And the self denial of the fruit shows he knows he did wrong.

And opening the door shows he trusts you and knows that you love him.

At least that’s my amateur psychology tuppence (like two cents only worth less these days!) worth. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

I'd suggest instead a combination lock or an electronic lock that can be controlled by a smartphone. No matter how high you install a sliding bolt, kids are sure to try to figure out a way to reach it, even if it means stacking several things on top of one another and risking the whole stack collapsing and the child injuring himself/herself when he/she hits the floor.

Another option is a shock collar, but the child protection authorities are sure to take a dim view of that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Are there any photos of Winston in a Hannibal Lector-like straightjacket yet?

But seriously, I can feel your pain, even though nothing remotely like that happend to me since my younger brother destroyed my first model ever (Airfix Fokker Dr. 1) in air combat with his Spad. That was in the sixties!

Richard

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

No matter how high you install a sliding bolt, kids are sure to try to figure out a way to reach it, even if it means stacking several things on top of one another and risking the whole stack collapsing and the child injuring himself/herself when he/she hits the floor.

I see you're familiar with his work. We recently came downstairs to discover he'd gotten a box of Oreos off the top of the refrigerator and eaten the creme out of every last one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I think I would favour the shock collar route Edward.

And the electronic lock with mains voltage earth track technology.

(removed from here an unnecessary diatribe on children, other peoples?)

I am very sorry for your loss my friend, be very strong.

Do be pleased that with this build you engaged and encouraged many people who knew nothing about Noor into learning about her outstanding bravery.

We should remember more about these selfless individuals willing to stand against tyranny in conflicts and hardship of unbelievable intensity.

I will await your return to the doughty Lysander, since yours was already an example to be proud of, in the future.

Chill Eddie baby…

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1