The Night Believes it is Endless (1/72 Lysander III)

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

... having just made my connecting flight in the rain and sleet at ORD yesterday I am prepared to testify that trips involving Chicago and airports are not fun!

Regards,

Adrian

I had exactly one hour between connections at O'Hare once (so long go that both airlines no longer exist), and it took almost every minute of that hour to make the connection. My arriving gate and departure gate were on opposite ends of the terminal; they could not have been any farther apart. If you were one of the people I knocked over in my haste, well, tough!

• Haha 3

When I was a dispatcher for a same-day air shipping firm, O'Hare was one of a handful of airports (off the top of my head, PHL was another) where we couldn't count on baggage making it from one aircraft to another within the standard one-hour timeframe. We had to allow two hours. But more than two and it would get lost. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

When I was a dispatcher for a same-day air shipping firm, O'Hare was one of a handful of airports (off the top of my head, PHL was another) where we couldn't count on baggage making it from one aircraft to another within the standard one-hour timeframe. We had to allow two hours. But more than two and it would get lost. 

I believe it. I can't imagine it's gotten any better in the years since my experience.

14 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Much like when travelling through as a passenger.

• Haha 2

So after a flurry of activity (and the discovery that eight showings were scheduled for it today -- or yesterday, as it's now Saturday morning here) we offered list for the house we want on contingency: we have sold our house to someone who will buy it if they sell their house, and if they sell their house we can buy the house we want with the for-now-purely-theoretical money we'll have. Simple! We haven't heard back yet, should know after 2PM Saturday. To say that we're all anxious is putting it mildly. Mrs P passed out at 5:30 putting Winston to bed and wasn't seen again. I blacked out coaxing Grant to sleep, not reawakening until 9:30. 

I don't think we'll get the house. We're competing in an arena where it's the most expensive we can afford, but for the area it's relatively cheap, and I fear that even having offered list (and Mrs P penning a personal appeal to the seller), we'll be blown out of the water. 

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." (Vice Admiral James Stockdale)

After some hemming and hawing, the IP and the support framing for the absent gunsight are in (again):

IMG_20200125_001212

Looks terrible right now, doesn't it? 

I also test-fit one of the struts.

IMG_20200125_002229

It required a little bit of work with the scalpel to get it to fit. 

One of the side panels had somehow gotten the Future coating fouled while it was drying, and so I sanded it down with varying grades of micro-mesh and then sacrificed my toothbrush and some toothpaste on the altar of modelling (don't worry I got a new toothbrush for myself, I'm not an animal) to give it a final polish before dipping it in the Alclad clear gloss and setting it off to dry. Tomorrow I hope to get the clear parts on.

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Lizzie’s looking good PC...  I'm sending “Positive waves” that you’ll get the house. 

The best thing about it is that it's still incredibly close to The Mean Wiener, so future Britmodeller-in-America summits wouldn't have to shift.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Just now, Hamden said:

Lysander's looking good soon be at the paint shop now

Yes, just trying to figure out the best way to do things. I should probably wait to attach the struts and wings after painting, but then there's a risk of getting glue on everything and spoiling it.

• Like 2

I/WE ALL hope you get the house PC, after the last couple of years you deserve positive karma

Lizzie reminds me of trying to get the paint-wing-cabin structure right on my Auster which was similarly complex

I will not be making suggestions because you will get it right and I made too many cokkups with mine

Good luck for this/Saturday @ 2 o'clock

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Only just caught up with this build and despite everything else going on, it is coming on well. House buying is never fun, we last moved in 1996 and will be downsizing at some stage when the chicks eventually fly the nest for good (not that seems much chance of that at the moment). I am dreading the prospect. Our house was built sometime before 1830 and is stone with two foot thick double walls. It has been messed about a bit but still has some character although the windows are largely shot and we are going to look again at replacements. 

• Thanks 1

Lizzie looking good PC :) 

Good luck with the house, fingers crossed here.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I should probably wait to attach the struts and wings after painting, but then there's a risk of getting glue on everything and spoiling it.

That's what I'd do, I think. You can always use minimum glue and touch up (fnaar) afterwards.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

The best thing about it is that it's still incredibly close to The Mean Wiener, so future Britmodeller-in-America summits wouldn't have to shift.

I take it that living near an Austrian gentleman who's tight with his money is considered pleasurable in those parts.

Strange people these Yanks.....even after 20 years spent "over there"!

Good luck with the house anyway, who ever the neighbours are!

Ian

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Austrian gentleman who's tight with his money

He’s not tight, just average... :coat:

Sorry Edward, I do believe there was a Lysander (and hopefully a successful house move) going on in these parts...

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

So after a flurry of activity (and the discovery that eight showings were scheduled for it today -- or yesterday, as it's now Saturday morning here) we offered list for the house we want on contingency: we have sold our house to someone who will buy it if they sell their house, and if they sell their house we can buy the house we want with the for-now-purely-theoretical money we'll have. Simple! We haven't heard back yet, should know after 2PM Saturday. To say that we're all anxious is putting it mildly. Mrs P passed out at 5:30 putting Winston to bed and wasn't seen again. I blacked out coaxing Grant to sleep, not reawakening until 9:30. 

I don't think we'll get the house. We're competing in an arena where it's the most expensive we can afford, but for the area it's relatively cheap, and I fear that even having offered list (and Mrs P penning a personal appeal to the seller), we'll be blown out of the water.

All digits crossed here, PC!

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

Yay! Great burgers there - looking forward to another meet-up at some point.

And the Lysander is pulling together well. I have no doubt in your abilities to produce another excellent model.

• Like 2

Just now, CedB said:

Good news PC! :) 

Now you just need to start packing up all the books and models…

Indeed, and (ulp) selling quite a few to make up some impending shortfalls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4