The Night Believes it is Endless (1/72 Lysander III)

6 hours ago, wombat said:

I’ll never understand why Dora gave the physically impossible option of flaps down without slats.

An apparently a common failure. CMK's conversion for the Gavia/Eduard 1/48 Lysander provided outboard slats but not the inboard slats, which are mechanically linked to the flaps. 

I probably should have posted this earlier, but I have a good excuse. I forgot! Hey, I'm old and really abused my mind from my late teens into my early 30's. I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time.

Anyway, this is an old reference to the Matchbox kit so may not even apply to the new Dora kit.

38308994575_a014362c97_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

A very interesting thread - I've just acquired the Dora Wings Lysander myself.  I've uploaded a LOT of photos of the RAF Museum's MkIII (SD) to "Flickr" --- here's the link --- I don't know if pics can be downloaded, if not a "screengrab" works.

Lysander

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The wing attachment looks rather delicate - my first thought is to drill out canopy side panels C9 & C10 and remake the centre wing spars part E25 in brass wire (soldered together) - with extended spars that can attach into inner ends of wings, in suitably excavated holes!

Second thought is to extend the slot in C9 & C10 and make a brass replacement for E25 that fits into the slot - the wings could be epoxied to this.

Edited by XV104
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XV104 said:

The wing attachment looks rather delicate - my first thought is to drill out canopy side panels C9 & C10 and remake the centre wing spars part E25 in brass wire (soldered together) - with extended spars that can attach into inner ends of wings, in suitably excavated holes!

Second thought is to extend the slot in C9 & C10 and make a brass replacement for E25 that fits into the slot - the wings could be epoxied to this.

You're not the first to suggest it, but I've rejected this because of the very very high likelihood of cocking it up. I think the struts should give me enough bracing to get us through this.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

I think the struts should give me enough bracing to get us through this.

I'm glad that you are going to check this for all of us who will follow the trail you are blazing :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Rrrgh.

So we think we've found the house for us, but of course it's expensive (though not as expensive as it could be, I suppose), remains within walking distance of a train station (and our old house), and has the space we need. Stay tuned to see if we can get it.

Work on the Lysander tonight was, I'm afraid, exceedingly frustrating. The centre section clear parts are simply far too long, about 1-2mm too long. Ordinarily I might not quibble, after all, what's a millimetre amongst friends, but unfortunately they need to fit betwixt the rear clear section and the windscreen, so it's actually kind of a big deal. Additionally, since there are a ton of parts, relatively speaking, involved, it's a pain in the rumpus room to test. I had to remove the IP, and of course dislodged the pilot's seatbelt (Ced jinxed me by praising it, I maintain), but I think. after much sanding and even more swearing, I'm pretty close to there.

8 hours ago, XV104 said:

A very interesting thread - I've just acquired the Dora Wings Lysander myself.  I've uploaded a LOT of photos of the RAF Museum's MkIII (SD) to "Flickr" --- here's the link --- I don't know if pics can be downloaded, if not a "screengrab" works.

Lysander

Very helpful, by the way. I wish I'd looked at the before I started the build! Also, this cleared up for me whether or not I needed to use the gunsight mounting frame,. Looks like yes.

28 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm glad that you are going to check this for all of us who will follow the trail you are blazing :) 

That's almost a vote of confidence, but also suspiciously close to "better you than me, mate".

https://youtu.be/B-TLe9iwWEs?t=182

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

but also suspiciously close to "better you than me, mate"

It could be read that way, perhaps, but I really do want to see if it can be built without resorting to brass rod etc. otherwise I wouldn't bother (with all due deference to those who would) :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

Just wondering if the boys have picked up any of those cuss words and repeated them to Mrs. P yet? Or have you learned to swear quietly to yourself?

Winston sometimes says "Oh my Jesus God", which is a sort of portmanteau of something I say, and something Mrs P says (I'll leave it to you to guess who says what, but in my defense, Melanie is the only one of us to drop a few f-bombs in front of the grubs), but I do my modelling after they've gone to bed, and the grotto is in the basement and they sleep on the second floor. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Back when my girls were young, aged about 2, 4 and 6, Linda jumped all over me one day because the fecal matter replacement words out loud. It wasn't ten minutes later, she dropped something in the kitchen, followed by a loudly shouted F-bomb! I laughed for at least 10 minutes!

Now that the girls are all in their 20's, they all swear like Canadian sailors!

Chris

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Hmmm, last week my 19 month old said the Eff dash dash dash word. I suppose the wife and I finally need to clean up our act. Conveniently, we live a mere 30 mins from the Christmas Story house, so should we need to we can grab a bar of LifeBouy soap to wash our mouths... unfortunately blindness may be a side effect!

Congrats on selling your house, and the crippling debt that comes with buying a new one!

It sounds like your family keeps you on your toes. We’re going through a bit of family drama (wife’s family playing favorites for 30 years) and of course our dear friend the biological clock. You make multiple spawn seems so worth it! Please send help... HA!

Oh, and I suppose the Lysander is looking good, too. It amazes me how you are able to see the details to add them in that scale. I wear glasses, but I can’t complain that I’ve got horrible vision, and 1/48 is plenty small for me. 

I enjoy your threads for the build, the comic relief, and the pure honesty. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

You make multiple spawn seems so worth it! 

It's not.

Tonight, because she was tense about the house, Mrs P lit into me for going on trips (two trips to the UK in eight years of marriage, plus one visit to Cookie in New Mexico during which she tried to buy a house), which she never gets to do. I pointed out that she spends, on average, six to eight weeks of the year in Michigan or on other trips with her mother. She said those didn't count, because my trips were "fun trips". I opted not to press the issue, but I'm delighted we're finally on the same page as to whether visiting my mother-in-law is fun or not.

11 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Congrats on selling your house, and the crippling debt that comes with buying a new one!

Oh, it will be crippling. I stand ready to whore myself out to whatever modelling conglomerates wish to keep me in product in exchange for whatever undesirable publicity I can offer through these threads. Otherwise it's gonna be a pretty dry spell.

13 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Oh, and I suppose the Lysander is looking good, too. It amazes me how you are able to see the details to add them in that scale. I wear glasses, but I can’t complain that I’ve got horrible vision, and 1/48 is plenty small for me. 

As I always tell Mrs P, if you focus on it, it will seem much larger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

Great start to the day reading those posts PC, you do make me laugh :D 

Sorry about jinxing the seatbelt :( I'm sure you'll get that and the clear parts sorted.

Good luck with the house and, er, your income-generation ideas… some safer than others!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

because my trips were "fun trips".

... having just made my connecting flight in the rain and sleet at ORD yesterday I am prepared to testify that trips involving Chicago and airports are not fun!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

Tonight, because she was tense about the house, Mrs P lit into me for going on trips (two trips to the UK in eight years of marriage, plus one visit to Cookie in New Mexico during which she tried to buy a house), which she never gets to do. I pointed out that she spends, on average, six to eight weeks of the year in Michigan or on other trips with her mother. She said those didn't count, because my trips were "fun trips". I opted not to press the issue, but I'm delighted we're finally on the same page as to whether visiting my mother-in-law is fun or not.

Ah yes, the classic technique of bringing up the distant past to create an argument. One that I’ve thankfully not had to endure much of in my marriage luckily. My issues are mainly the result of me not doing the right thing for a long time...

But yes, like you I am glad there is a consensus about the level of “fun” associated with your monster mother-in-law.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

... having just made my connecting flight in the rain and sleet at ORD yesterday I am prepared to testify that trips involving Chicago and airports are not fun!

Regards,

Adrian

Ah you were in that mess yesterday too? My flights were delayed into ORD and then out of. Was supposed to land at 8:30, instead it was 11:30. So much for sleep. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

ORD is relatively close to me (I live north of Chicago, so it's on the way to the city). Midway, where Mrs P flies out of every time she visits her mother, is 50 miles away on the opposite side of Chicago. I hate Midway.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I hate Midway.

Lil secret PC ... So does everyone else. The city tried to sell it for 10 years and couldn't. No one wanted the dang place. Its in violation of several FAA safety waivers (Runway overshoot areas in particular). The runways literally end at a 15’ wall, and on the SW corner there is a 5 story building across the street. They cant expand and it is costing Chicago an arm and a leg. Thats why every couple of years an airliner or something else winds up going thru the fences at the corners of the airport. Its happened at least 3 times since 2007. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Sad 2

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Lil secret PC ... So does everyone else. The city tried to sell it for 10 years and couldn't. No one wanted the dang place. Its in violation of several FAA safety waivers (Runway overshoot areas in particular). They cant expand and it is costing Chicago an arm and a leg. Thats why every couple of years an airliner or something else winds up going thru the fences at the corners of the airport. Its happened at least 3 times since 2007. 

I always think about that as I drive to pick up Mrs P during blizzards (the weather is invariably a blizzard when I go to get her, once in May, even). The next 737 could have my name on it. And I hate 737s, too! Boring jets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1