The Night Believes it is Endless (1/72 Lysander III)

That’s some fine work on the tank and internals!

good job a clever dick popped up with a photo before you put the belts on!(no harm intended @Troy Smith your help has been invaluable on many build, especially hurricanes, but I like to TRY and be funny) 

As for feeling depressed, well that happens and it’s probably best to except it and know that you will pull through, but that’s easy to say! I can relate though.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2020 at 10:17 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I think Steve has a point.  That would be a LOT of oil just to cope with extended ops

Having seen directly how much oil a Pembroke consumes, almost the limiting factor for range (not to mention running cost), it does make sense to make sure that a single radial engined aircraft is safely provisioned for on extended operations, oil being vital of course.

Great to see this build, looks like superb work going into a nice little kit.

Alwsys been fascinated by the Lizzie!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your winter woes. As I'm not of the most intellectual of human grouping, I don't really understand the depression that some people feel. I can easily distract myself by ...... Squirrel! Did you see it?

Anyway, your winter could be worse. We're in a cold spell with colder on the way. This morning at 9:00 am, it was -26C, which is -15F. We're expecting -40C soon, which is -40F. That, my friend, is thumb-sucking cold! Also, you are fairly close to some other large civilization groupings. Think what there is in a 2 hour driving radius of your house. I'm up here in the middle of the vast aboreal forest. The only direction to go to a larger civilized place is south and a 2 hour drive put me at the very first small farming community. It's still another 2.5 to 3 hour drive to the first hobby shop.

So, chin up and carry on! I need to see more of that Lysander.

Chris

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm still depressed, but I've had a lot of sleep. 

Sorry you're feeling down, PC... as Brian May says, there is a day in the future when it will be better. You have very clean hands and fingernails, though, and the work you're doing is excellent - it's even better with the Eduard PE, and you seem to have a talent for not flaking the paint off the metal, so that's a plus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Lizzie is proceeding Procopiously PC

Looking like your usual awesome 'full of skill' entry and I am depressed, you four Musketeers had the run of the country but I missed it all except that island of fun at Telford

Keep the chin up old scout, hope we see you again one day soon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear you've had a visit from the black dog Edward. We have one of those, fortunately a four legged, furry version who keeps us entertained/busy/frustrated (delete as appropriate). Thankfully visits from the other, malevolent version are no longer happening - possibly I've just learned to accept life as I've gotten older (50 this year, gulp). 

I listened to a podcast recently (by David Millar, ex pro cyclist) which talked about us all needing a 'third space' in this ever busier world. He was referring to the importance of self, having some quality time just for you. The other spaces being work/career/school and family. This really resonated with me as I found time on the bike, usually riding alone, or running allowed me to put the rest of the world on hold and let my thoughts go wherever, without any concious steering. Now I'm not for one second suggesting we all take up exercise or whatever, merely that keeping some time aside for ourselves is essential. Maybe that's our modelling space?

There'll be no monument to mark my passing. No great building or work of art that my family can look on to remember me by. Instead, my kids are my legacy and the times and adventures we share during their childhood is my memory. I grew up in a largely loveless household, with very little support or tenderness which has left its own mark on me & it's one I don't intend leaving on my kids. We try to have time together when we can (at least one meal per day) as well as holidays etc, but always allowing space for us to do our own thing (even if mum & dad are supervising).

Keep your chin up chap and the happier times will return.

Edge

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Commiserations about the blue feelings Edward. I think this time of year (at least in the Northern hemisphere) the lack of daylight and the miserable weather has a lot to answer for though like @Troy Smith, I've found this year that taking regular Vitamin D seems to help for some reason. When you add to that, the natural anti-climax after your wonderful trip over here at the end of last year, well a certain lowness is understandable.

3 hours ago, Edge said:

This really resonated with me as I found time on the bike, usually riding alone, or running allowed me to put the rest of the world on hold and let my thoughts go wherever, without any concious steering. Now I'm not for one second suggesting we all take up exercise or whatever, merely that keeping some time aside for ourselves is essential. Maybe that's our modelling space?

I totally agree with the notion of the therapeutic benefits of our hobby.  I wouldn't dream of equating my occasional feelings of glumness with the soul crushing depression so many people suffer from but I find that popping upstairs for a few moments and focusing on an aspect of a project I'm working on gives me a real freedom for a while from the worrisome and stressful thoughts which intrude into everyday life, and makes me feel better about things. Of course, coming back downstairs to be informed that 5 hours have passed, the cats need fed, the dogs need walked and the cup of tea I'd said I'd make before heading up has still to materialise takes a little of the shine off the experience.

Craig.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and I should have said that the current build is coming along very nicely. I wonder if I might consult the Britmodeller hive mind on a matter of some importance? I was discussing the subject of this project with a like minded colleague yesterday and he observed that I was pronouncing the name of the aircraft wrongly. He puts equal emphasis on all three syllables (lysander), I put added emphasis on the middle syllable (lySANder). As the possessor of  a fine classical education (C pass, latin 'O' grade 1978), I naturally assume that I am in the right but I wonder if anyone knows for sure? Coffee time bragging rights are at stake!

Craig.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I (North Eastern English) would say Lie-sander, with any emphasis on the first syllable.   Given that he was Doric Greek, not even Classical Greek, I doubt that your Latin (or mine) would match any original.  However that is of marginal value to a "correct" English pronunciation anyway.  As another example, how many of us pronounce Trafalgar the way it was pronounced at the time?  Apart from those who know one English folk song composed at the time - Traffle-gar.  (yes, I know it has nothing to do with Lysanders or modelling, but it helps illustrate that any particular insistence on "correct" pronunciation is walking through a minefield.)

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

you seem to have a talent for not flaking the paint off the metal, so that's a plus.

Which brings up a point: How does one remove the paint from Eduard's painted photo-etched metal items? As reported on another forum, neither lacquer thinner nor acetone seem to have any effect. What kind of paint is it that is immune to such corrosive substances?

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

Which brings up a point: How does one remove the paint from Eduard's painted photo-etched metal items?

paint stripper?  Acetone and Laquer Thinner will only dissolve 'paint' susceptible to the thinner.   I doubt if it's 'paint'  but I'd try actual commercial paint stripper, which usually contains some kind of strong alkali. 

Or try annealing it?

I just wish someone at Eduard was able to learn how to match the pre painted etch cockpit colours to something resembling the correct colour....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

@Dandie Dinmont According to this (listen to the audio) you are correct!

https://www.lexico.com/definition/lysander

He was a Spartan general. 

You learn something new every day!

That’s exactly the sort of irrefutable proof I was looking for! Thanks Ian!

Craig. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I just wish someone at Eduard was able to learn how to match the pre painted etch cockpit colours to something resembling the correct colour....

I usually end up painting over it, but that is VERY tedious. I suspect these pre-"painted" colours are inks, but I could be wrong. I usually am!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I doubt if it's 'paint'  but I'd try actual commercial paint stripper, which usually contains some kind of strong alkali. 

If they are tampo printed as many model railway items are, modellers in that field remove it using a fibre glass brush.

• Like 2

How very bizarre. After catching up with your spitfire build and reading the wonderful intro to this one I settled down to watch last weeks Dr Who. “Spyfall pt 2” I’m fine my surprise when the Doctor ends up getting help from no other than Agent MADELEINE.

“The Doctor sets about resolving matters with the help of real-life historical characters mathematician and computer pioneer Ada Lovelace and British wartime spy, Noor Inayat Khan.”

A lovely coincidence I thought you might appreciate.😇  Cracking start to the Lysander kid. I know life seems a struggle sometimes but it will pass. 
look after yourself and your lovely family, everything else will eventually follow suit.

Take care.

Johnny. 🙌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Troy Smith said:

6215001883_f97deb6fc9_b_zpsr25bprcd.jpg

Dammit, there's always a spot where the belt goes into the seat back on these things, isn't there? And it's never on the kit part. Never!

I (v e r y  carefully) put a piece of thick plasticard with a spare set of Airfix instructions as a cushioner in the space between the seatback and the framing, and got out my trusty micro-chisel, and managed to, despite some profoundly alarming wobbles, chisel out a little hole for the seatbelt. Then it was just a matter of guiding the belt into the hole with a barrage of obscenities and painting the exposed silver side a light brown colour.

IMG_20200112_182248

The things I do for you people.

IMG_20200112_182616

• Like 33

Well done. You are making an excellent job of this.

I hope you look up from here on in. When I get down I buy another kit on the net to give myself something to look forward to. Hence the reason I have a lot of kits. 

I find it best not to look too far ahead as you get older like me. Focus on what you are doing today, maybe tomorrow and let the day after that take care of it's self, because it will.

Keep up the good work..

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I hope you look up from here on in. When I get down I buy another kit on the net to give myself something to look forward to. Hence the reason I have a lot of kits. 

Same

• Like 3