Condensed/expanded toggle on Unread Content not working

When I was out and about earlier today, I noticed the condensed/expanded toggle on the "Unread Content" didn't appear to work on my phone--it was stuck on expanded. Selecting condensed would repaint the window, but still in the expanded view; even so, the toggle behaved as if condensed was selected (and condensed was indeed shown in the URL).

I just noticed the identical behavior on my home system. While phone and home system are both running Chrome, they're obviously different binaries with different windowing systems. The incorrect behavior is reproducible on Konqueror, an entirely different browser. I also checked my tablet. The page, which had been showing properly condensed output, reverted to the expanded view when I simply refreshed the page. The reproducibility across platforms and browsers strongly suggests the page itself is broken.

• Like 3

Yup ditto, condensed option not working for me.

Funny you should mention the Y2K bug - some of the fixes that were made for Y2K may start coming back to haunt us in the next few years. I know that some systems made the fix so that if the 2 digit year is less than a trigger number, the century digits would be 19, otherwise 20. Now depending on the trigger number (which I know some applications chose as low as 30) we could start facing Y2K phase 2 bugs at some point because I can guarantee that the software that was fixed 20 years ago will still be there in 10 years time!

Then of course we have the even worse impending problem of 2038 where the Unix time will be greater than the 32 bit number it is stored in on a lot of old embedded processors such as in cars, factory control and monitoring systems, telecoms infrastructure and medical technology.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm away from my pc at the moomin, but I'll have a look at it later when I've got all my admin tools to hand. Could be a bug introduced with the latest update. If some of you could post up a screenshot or two as proof, it'll help if we need to speak to support.

Meantime, reboot your hardware, be it PC, phone or tablet. Also reboot your router if you're accessing it from home.

TIA and Happy New Year :party:

I've cleared the cache to see if it was something relating to that, and it doesn't seem to have changed anything.  I'll do some more digging and come back to you :)

• Like 1

If you still need a screenshot here you go:

condensed.jpg

I've had a look in the browser devtools page and clicking on the condensed or expanded button is triggering an Ajax call that sends the backend the parameter "expanded" or "condensed".  One of fields int he JSON response is a block of HTML that looks like it is the content of the results page.  Whichever button you press it LOOKS like the HTML is the same, so this appears to be a backend problem rather than browser so clearing the cache etc won't have an effect. There must be a setting somewhere in the config that controls this behaviour.

• Like 2

I also have the problem which manifested itself around the time we went into 2020 here in the UK. BTW, my router has been reset and browser (Firefox) cache cleared but still the same. Also happens on my Samsung Galaxy S9.

Dave

FWIW, another modeling forum using the same SW started demonstrating the same issue around the same time.

Is this forum "software as a service" or "SAAS"? Alternately, it possible the forum SW installed on BM's server(s) is fetching code from some Invision server?

HTH

-- 

dnl

14 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Is this forum "software as a service" or "SAAS"? Alternately, it possible the forum SW installed on BM's server(s) is fetching code from some Invision server?

No, the software is all local to our server, but there was an update during the Christmas perios, so anyone installing that has probably dragged along the bug.  I'm sure Invision are getting a lot of :poop: over it, so I expect a fix once they're all back to work :)

18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I've had a look in the browser devtools page and clicking on the condensed or expanded button is triggering an Ajax call that sends the backend the parameter "expanded" or "condensed".  One of fields int he JSON response is a block of HTML that looks like it is the content of the results page.  Whichever button you press it LOOKS like the HTML is the same, so this appears to be a backend problem rather than browser so clearing the cache etc won't have an effect. There must be a setting somewhere in the config that controls this behaviour.

That's helpful thanks.  I'll pass it along as it becomes necessary :)

• Like 1

An update has been released today and I've just installed it.  Works for me, and I'd be interested to hear whether you're all fixed on your disparate devices and locations too :)

• Like 6

Good news :yes: If it doesn't work for any of you, clear your browser cache, and if you're still experiencing issues, reboot all your equipment to clear any remaining cached data from your systems :)

• Like 1

Sorted here too. FWIW I had the same problem on another forum (not modelling-based; I wouldn't cheat on you, Mike) which has also been sorted now that they've applied a patch.

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2020 at 11:08 AM, Kallisti said:

Yup ditto, condensed option not working for me.

Funny you should mention the Y2K bug - some of the fixes that were made for Y2K may start coming back to haunt us in the next few years. I know that some systems made the fix so that if the 2 digit year is less than a trigger number, the century digits would be 19, otherwise 20. Now depending on the trigger number (which I know some applications chose as low as 30) we could start facing Y2K phase 2 bugs at some point because I can guarantee that the software that was fixed 20 years ago will still be there in 10 years time!

Then of course we have the even worse impending problem of 2038 where the Unix time will be greater than the 32 bit number it is stored in on a lot of old embedded processors such as in cars, factory control and monitoring systems, telecoms infrastructure and medical technology.

Ah, the good old days of the Y2K bug. I remember people complaining afterwards that so much work was wasted on fixing it because nothing actually happened!

We also have the Y10K bug to anticipate, on 31 December 9999. (Of course I'll still be here; it's the only way I'll get everything in my stash built!) Fortunately people are already working on it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem

• Like 1
  • Haha 1