Airfix Mitchell Mk II - first one for the New Year

Happy New Year everyone. 

So far it has been a good morning. First, breakfast in the morning sun.

49307843056_689aca0caa_b.jpg

Then I finished my first kit of the year 🙂

49307753971_69de745ebb_b.jpg

I started this back in April last year, was going great guns and then stopped....before picking it up again late last week. So ultimately actually quite a quick build (if you take out the intervening months).

I finished her straight out of the box in the markings of "Nulli Secundus" EV-W of 180 Squadron RAF. Brush painted with Tamiya Acrylics, XF-62 Olive Drab with a touch of XF-51 Khaki for the OD and XF-53 Neutral Grey with some XF-19 Sky Grey to lighten it up a bit (thanks @Rabbit Leader for the advice). I also added a "collar" around the upper turret with some paint (thanks for the heads-up @dogsbody). Made her grimy with some oils and used graphite dust from a pencil scrubbed on after the final matt coat (Tamiya Flat Clear from a rattle can) the exhaust staining. Some how managed to stuff in enough weight for her not to be a tail sitter. Also made use of a canopy mask set from Eduard (CX507). A few minor issues, mostly of my own making, but basically a fun build.  Build thread can be found here. Some more photos in the morning sun below.

Thanks for looking.

49307958252_34d0e969d7_b.jpg

49307958247_9f8c5234b7_b.jpg

49307753936_4ee1fbd046_b.jpg

• Like 52

That’s come up great Simon and I’m sure you’re not the only one who takes a mojo break in-between the start and finish of a model. There’s some subtle variation to the paint which is not easy to achieve, however you’ve done so quite well with this build. 

Cheers and a nice start to 2020.. Dave 

• Like 1

Fantastic result on the Mitchell. British roundels and markings on a US aircraft, my fave. Well almost anything with RAF roundels lol

I'm faintly wishing on of the after market crowd make a solid gun nose conversion for this kit, though it shouldn't be too hard with the right reference. Pacific straffers had the best nose art.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the kind comments and positive feedback.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:42 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

There’s some subtle variation to the paint which is not easy to achieve, however you’ve done so quite well with this build. 

I think that was more by luck than judgement - but thanks Dave!

On 1/1/2020 at 1:45 PM, Bigglesworth said:

Gotta love Yanks with roundels.

Oh yes 🙂

On 1/1/2020 at 1:56 PM, Tempestwulf said:

I'm faintly wishing on of the after market crowd make a solid gun nose conversion for this kit, though it shouldn't be too hard with the right reference. Pacific straffers had the best nose art.

I have the Hasegawa 1:72 solid nose B-25J in my stash. To be honest I would prefer to have a glass nose one so I can do a RAAF machine.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:42 PM, Cariado said:

Nice! And the Mitchell looks good as well. 😂

:D

And thanks for all the well wishes for the New Year!