Curtiss Hawk H-75 A7 (ML-KNIL) | SH 1:32

The well known and loved by all Special Hobby's kit is well worth the manufacturer's brand. Special in every aspect: quality of the molds, fit, level of details, accuracy. And isn't our hobby (inter alia) a struggle against the efforts of producers, how to do something wrong, if it could be good. So everything is all right. If you are interested in details and have strong nerves, please look for the workshop thread.

The construction process was marked by numerous problems, caused by myself. First the fuselage broke twice where it was connected to the engine cowling, then after assembling the airframe and painting, I dropped it on the desk and the instrument panel inside fell off ... reinstalling it perfectly did not succeed, poor access, but I didn't want to make such a large step back and brake the fuselage into halves. Decals were too transparent, had to overpaint them. I broke one leg of the landing gear, lost one gear leg cover (the one in the front of the gear nacelle, finally I made them both of an aluminium sheet obtained from a tin of Felix peanuts), I lost the fuel filler cap too, replaced with a scratch-built one. At the end I unfortunately grabbed it with dirty fingers and the marks had to be removed ... 

But finally, here it is. Here it is and it proves that even with medium abilities and skills in the use of putty and file, this model can be put together. And this is probably the most important thing.

Few things added: rivets, missing panel lines, modification of armament in the wings, antenna mountings on the wings, vertical stabilizer and fuselage, 0.2 mm Uschi van der Rosten antenna cables with insulators made of hygienic stick stretched over fire (does anyone use them for any other purpose, btw?), wheel well covers from CMK resin, barrels from Master. The rest - straight from the box.

Painted with MRP Paints. Colors according to the AJ-Press monograph: old leaves - early US Olive Drab, young leaves - early US Medium Green, underside of wings and horizontal fins painted silver, with upper surface color over the leading edge. In combination with the orange markings (Dutch Decals DDS003 R.Netherlands East Indies Air Force) - it looks very nice and different, I think.

Hope you like it :).

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Hubert

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

Great model and entertaining build story! :D As a matter of fact I was recently thinking about making a P-36, but I`ve always had a problem deciding who (and, in some cases, at what time) to believe about the interior colours. What did you use for yours? Sorta looks like a green zinc chromate.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fin said:

Great model and entertaining build story! :D As a matter of fact I was recently thinking about making a P-36, but I`ve always had a problem deciding who (and, in some cases, at what time) to believe about the interior colours. What did you use for yours? Sorta looks like a green zinc chromate.

Happy New Year!

Thanks! It's my rendition of the Curtiss Cockpit Green.

• Thanks 1

Very impressive!  Can you tell us what you used for the antenna insulators on at the wing tips and where the antennas meet above the rear portion of the fuselage?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Very impressive!  Can you tell us what you used for the antenna insulators on at the wing tips and where the antennas meet above the rear portion of the fuselage?

Plastic cotton buds stretched over the fire.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Very nice H-75 Hubert- one of my favorite airplanes; glad you persevered through all the mishaps, because I think it was well worth it. Your canvas wheel bay liners came out very nice, too! I did not know that SH made a 1/32 kit, but it looks like it was a good one.

Mike

• Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 03:50, 72modeler said:

Very nice H-75 Hubert- one of my favorite airplanes; glad you persevered through all the mishaps, because I think it was well worth it. Your canvas wheel bay liners came out very nice, too! I did not know that SH made a 1/32 kit, but it looks like it was a good one.

Mike

Well, to be true that kit is a dog. Lot of adjustments, filling and filing necessary.

Patience required in gargantuan amounts. 

But I'm afraid no alternative if one wants a large scale Hawk on the shelf without building it from the scratch. 

Thanks for all your nice comments, so glad you like it :)

Hubert

• Sad 1