This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Paul J

Aussie wild fires.

Posted (edited)

Fair enough Steve. With the best will in the world, from 2000 ks away & seeing some unusual smoke, its impossible to appreciate what Aus is going through, in spite of the tele news coverage. What you've posted helps some. 

Stay safe.

Steve.

PS. my son has just done a quick calculation & worked out the total fire area as posted above is a bit less than 20% of New Zealand's total area. That really shocked me, about the same % for the British isles. :( 

Edited by stevehnz

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I say, Dave, that's hardly cricket. :) The boss man did give up his hols after all. :D 

Steve. 

He came home one day early due to media pressure ...............

1 minute ago, Norman said:

He came home one day early due to media pressure ...............swine

Much as I appreciate strong feelings among people on this topic Norman, any further discussion might be best avoided in the interests of not getting the thread locked down for breaking the politics rule. My comment above was probably unwise too, so, apologies all.

Steve.

Fair enough Steve you are quite right 

Emotions are running high here in Aus at the moment as these devastating fires wreak havoc everyone is affected either directly or indirectly and with weather about to get worse people are understandably on edge everyone is preparing for the worst while hoping for the best

Cheers

Norm

Our district has been told its better if we aren't here today message.

Wife and young son have headed to daughters.

I have Land Rover on standby and welding gloves ready to catch the cats.

Posted (edited)

It has to stop soon. If I could ship snow, I'd send you all you could have. Haven't even got much snow this year yet. All I can do is watch and read the comments from here.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

With the forecast predicting little or no rain in sight, this won't stop soon !

The rest Of January & Feb still to go, our traditional fire season over here, you could say it's hardly started. Fires in NSW have been burning since September and my daughter in Pt MacQuarie, northern NSW, was evacuated twice in October.

These fires will not be extinguished without heavy and persistent rain which, of course, will then cause its own issues - landslides, polluted drinking water, etc.

Watching my favourite part of Victoria, the Upper Murray and High Country burn again ; when we left there 10 years ago, we'd just finished fighting fires..........

Rog

Posted (edited)

I can understand people not wanting to talk about causes in the middle of the event but if you discuss it in the middle of winter when the grass is more-or-less green and it's raining a bit, the response is "nothing to worry about, nothing to see here, move on to the next much more important political discussion".

I travel to Australia quite a bit and understand the situation there - it's completely different to here. There are quite a few balanced discussions on the net

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/669/

https://workingonfire.org/fire-in-the-south-african-landscape/

My best wishes to those currently in the fire areas - may you stay safe........

Edited by Tom R

I heard a few days ago, four teams of firefighters from Canada are going over, two from Manitoba. I think Coulson has some tankers out there. I found out, it's a lot of red tape for government owned tankers to go there, don't know why. In Manitoba here, we have  a bunch of provincial CL-215s retired for sale just sitting. Doubt they could get there in a hurry. You guys are in the news now a lot.

Allegedly, we were offered a heap of CL-215's & 415's but our Govt decided it was cheaper to hire tankers from overseas......... :o{

They're still doing sterling service in France, Italy & Spain. I think the fear was that they'd be sitting idle for the 10 months of the year "we don't have a fire season......."

I'll curb my thoughts on governmental action or lack thereof !

Rog

PS yes, Coulsons are doing fantastic work with their equipment along with the Ericson Skycranes.

Earlier today a Coulson C-130 air tanker aircraft crashed in southern  New South Wales killing its crew of three  and the aircraft has been destroyed.

Edited by Mick4350

In last years fires, an Ericson Skycrane and a firefighting helicopter were lost.

I believe the Skycrane crew escaped from the lake it crashed into.

Grateful thanks to the brave men and women from overseas who are volunteering to assist our fire fighters in this mammoth task and to the Coulson crew, thanks and R.I.P.

Just heard this on our late evening TV news. Bugger. RIP to the crew & thought go out to families & friends.

Steve.