P-51B 'Rebel Queen' - Colour of Swimsuit?

Johnson

The old 1/72 Academy P-51B has decals for Fred Glover's Rebel Queen. The girl on the fuselage has a red swimsuit, The name 'Rebel Queen' is in Olive Drab (which seems unlikely). This is how she is portrayed on my 1972 Scale Models plans, possibly where Academy got their info.

But the much more recent Kits World decals give her a blue swimsuit. with 'Rebel Queen' in Red.

Can anyone help with which one is right?

I'm very tempted to buy the decals which look very nice, but they cost more than I paid for the kit, so it would be nice to know if they're correct!

Many thanks,

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

Thanks @alt-92, the swimsuit certainly looks more like blue than red. Great website.

Without knowing whether it's orthochromatic or panchromatic film you can't really make such an assertion.

Look at her lipstick and nail polish. They are very dark also. I am inclined to think it's orthochromatic film which makes red and yellow look very dark and blue light, and that either her lipstick, nail polish and swimsuit are all red and the Rebel Queen writing blue, or that the swimsuit is extremely dark blue (near black) and the writing something else.

Very dark lipstick and nail polish isn't impossible, but wasn't fashionable in the mid 1940s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Jamie, excellent acute observations as always. Yes, I did assume panchromatic film - and we know what assumptions do to us.

Another photo on the American Air Museum in Britain website, which may have been taken at the same time (same PSP runway under the plane), shows the P51's tail, and the yellow serial number, part of which should be visible, is dark, invisible, also pointing to orthochromatic film.

Cheers,

• Like 1