I'm just stepping outside...

GordonD

Here we are at the end of another year, and as a result the last post in the 'Ups and Downs' thread. So what's next? I've done astronaut birthdays and I've done launches and landings...

EVAs, that's what. In many of the posts about spacecraft launches I mentioned the EVAs that took place during the mission, but not always, and often not in detail. So throughout 2020 I plan to note EVAs which took place on that particular calendar date: the names of those involved, the mission, EVA duration, and what actions were carried out. Of course there won't be entries for every day, but equally there are some dates where more than one EVA took place (not in the same year!). For instance, the earliest calendar date that an EVA was carried out is Twelfth Night, 6 January. However on blank days I will post a 'No EVAs on this date' so that you don't have to keep checking back!

Thanks to Bengalensis who kept posting likes so that I knew somebody was reading the Ups and Downs - and even pointed out a couple of errors I'd made proving that he was actually reading them!

Have a great New Year, and as the old Scottish saying puts is: LANG MAY YER LUM REEK!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now that's spooky: yesterday I watched 'The Heroes of Telemark' on TV and today there's a post by somebody actually from there!

Anyway, what with Bengalensis from Sweden and now Arild from Norway, it seems I'm a hit in Scandinavia. Any actual Brits reading this?  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im reading! :) Its quite a nice spot to catch up on the days space history. I always used to find myself seeing what had happened on this day when browsing the Astronautix site! So a thankyou from me :D 

You've done Birthdays, and youve done Launches & Landings, and it looks like this year we are focusing on EVA's - but have you considered Deorbits? With 50+ years of satellites, there must be a quite regular steady stream of these units being deorbited as fiery balls of plasma in the upper atmosphere! 

What your daily logs have pushed me towards is seeing all the space history thats happened on my day of birth, and perhaps using that as the focal point of my builds.  OK i unfortunately didn't get any Saturn launches on my birthday, but i got plenty of Soyuz, Proton, Titan, Atlas, and even a Buran test flight and Space Shuttle ferry flight, so it gives me more than enough variation! 

2 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

You've done Birthdays, and youve done Launches & Landings, and it looks like this year we are focusing on EVA's - but have you considered Deorbits? With 50+ years of satellites, there must be a quite regular steady stream of these units being deorbited as fiery balls of plasma in the upper atmosphere! 

It would be difficult to pull the information together. Plus as you say there would be so many that it would fill most of my time. I freely admit that the information I'm posting is taken from the excellent website Spacefacts. (I credited them on all the astronaut birthday posts throughout 2018.) But details of satellites decaying from orbit would be much harder to gather. The BIS monthly magazine 'Spaceflight' has a monthly listing of satellite launches and orbital decays but collating this into a daily format would be impossible.