Spitfire Mk.IIa - A newbie tackles Revell's 1:32 scale kit.

Retroeric

After completing my first proper build since childhood (an Airbus A319 by Revell) it's time to get serious with something military. This'll probably be a very long journey, but oh well! I'll probably be asking for lots of advice along the way, and the first question is, should I apply primer whilst the parts are still attached to the plastic thingy (which probably has a proper name), or should they be removed first, or does it not really matter?

Spitfire001.jpg

Spitfire002.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Eric,

In my not-terribly-experienced opinion, I wouldn't bother priming the interior parts and would hold off priming the exterior until the fuselage is joined up and the wings and tailplane attached. That way, the primer coat will highlight seams and areas where you need to do a bit more work to smooth things out.

It might be worth considering painting the interior parts on the sprue (which I believe is the proper name of the plastic thingy) but in some of the more recent kits designed with tiny tolerances, this can make fitting everything into the fuselage tricky so you might be better assembling the cockpit etc. first and then painting it. Others who have built this kit may be able to offer more useful opinions.

Your Airbus looked great so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Craig.

• Like 1

Hello Eric...

If it is of any use to you - I have this book / magazine - dedicated to building this your kit...

1456322043_8b1_10-1.jpg

I would be quite happy to post it to you - for free - if you would find it useful.

Just PM me your address if you want it & don't panic - I'm not a stalker - I'm sure 'someone' on here would vouch for that.

All the best with the build - Steve

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hello Eric - Loving the dogs in your profile picture...

If it is of any use to you - I have this book / magazine - dedicated to building this your kit...

1456322043_8b1_10-1.jpg

I would be quite happy to post it to you - for free - if you would find it useful.

Just PM me your address if you want it & don't panic - I'm not a stalker - I'm sure 'someone' on here would vouch for that.

All the best with the build - Steve

You gotta love BM!!

Iain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Retroeric said:

@BIG X That's a very kind offer. I'll message you.

PM received & understood - just remember - this is supposed to be fun though - so please make sure you enjoy your build. :)

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retroeric said:

After completing my first proper build since childhood (an Airbus A319 by Revell) it's time to get serious with something military. This'll probably be a very long journey, but oh well! I'll probably be asking for lots of advice along the way, and the first question is, should I apply primer whilst the parts are still attached to the plastic thingy (which probably has a proper name), or should they be removed first, or does it not really matter?

I build mine by looking for as many sub-assemblies as possible, assembling them un-primered, and when I cannot add any more parts to that little section I then prime with a Halfords rattle can.  I can usually find a little hole somewhere (or drill a hole into an unseen surface) to insert a cocktail stick to hold the sub-assembly whilst blasting and whilst it is drying.  This can then have the top colours/detail painting added to it before assembling further.

003 001

On modern CAD designed kits (which tend to be the ones with the tightest tolerances) I usually mask off any mating surfaces with tiny strips of Tamiya Tape, cut fron a wider roll with a metal ruler and a sharp scalpel blade, before priming/painting.

Items such as landing gear legs or doors I leave attached to the least visable sprue gate, clipping off all the others as far away from the part as possible giving room to allow the cleaning up of the piece.  I also then cut the main sprue around that last gate so I have a mini sprue with only the parts I want on it that I hold with a peg whilst priming and painting.  This allows as much of the part to be pained as possible so that when ready to attach then the only touch up should be in a difficult to see area.  Hopefully you can see what I mean in the picture below.

DSC_1069

Hope this helps you find "your way" to build, as there are no absolutes in as far as the right way or wrong way to do this.  What works for you will always be your right way.

Good job on the Airbus and "Welcome back to the Madhouse!"; if you weren't obsessive and a hoarder beforehand, you soon will be!

Chris

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Retroeric said:

Interesting stuff @Fatcawthorne, I hadn't even considered priming small sub assemblies in one go.

Yes I can highly recommend doing this. Personally I find that I never prime or paint anything on the tree/sprue ever. You always have to clip off and clean up afterwards which seems backwards to me but each to their own. I would definitely prime everything though. Check out my hurricane build ( or indeed any of em ) to see sub assembly priming. 😇

In my experience unprimed surfaces always lose their paint. 🤦‍♂️ I did an unprimed tank once. (Nightmare with a brush I tells ya. )
Glad you made the leap and I’m looking forward to this a great deal.

making me want to do my 1/32 spit now. 😍😍😍

Johnny 

Cheers John.  The Spitfire's actually gone on hold already.  I'm doing my little Airfix 1:72 Hurricane first, which is a bucket load less daunting, so that I can practice painting tiny details, filling seems in the fuselage and applying decals using Micro Set and Micro Sol properly. Been watching a few YooToob vids on how to do it. New thread appearing shortly. 😁

Happy New Year by the way 😉

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Retroeric said:

Cheers John.  The Spitfire's actually gone on hold already.  I'm doing my little Airfix 1:72 Hurricane first, which is a bucket load less daunting, so that I can practice painting tiny details, filling seems in the fuselage and applying decals using Micro Set and Micro Sol properly. Been watching a few YooToob vids on how to do it. New thread appearing shortly. 😁

Happy New Year by the way 😉

No probs.

I’ll find yer little one. Is it up yet? 
HNY by the way. 🙌🤩

• Like 1