Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3 Raiden, 304th Kokutai

Hi all.

Number six for the year and the final one for 2019. The 1/48 Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden. I started this one almost two years ago however a disaster at the painting stage shelved it for almost 18 months. I picked it up about three weeks ago and finished it this evening. (10pm AEST, 31/12/19). I chopped open the canopy, added ResinArt wheels and exhausts, painted the roundels and used Aeromaster decals for stencils and ancillary markings. I really enjoyed the dinged up green on this one. There's so much scope for weathering with Japanese WW2 era subjects and this is a great subject to apply it to. 

Happy New Year and  safe 2020 to all. 

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Very well done! I think it’s been weathered and chipped very tastefully. Top job opening the canopy. The Raiden was such a neat aircraft.

I’d love to find this kit with markings for Sadaaki Akamatsu, who was sometimes referred to as Japan’s Pappy Boyington. Quite the colorful character, and quite the legend behind the character as well!

Thanks for sharing your build!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work Mick 👍

Love the weathering.

Cheers Greg 

Thanks Greg. It was a lot of fun applying it. 

16 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Mick.............you did a great job at weathering the interceptor.  It`s very convincing and realistic.  

Take a well deserved bow.  :worthy:

Thanks Keg. That's very kind of you to say that. (taking a virtual bow 😉)

6 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Very well done! I think it’s been weathered and chipped very tastefully. Top job opening the canopy. The Raiden was such a neat aircraft.

I’d love to find this kit with markings for Sadaaki Akamatsu, who was sometimes referred to as Japan’s Pappy Boyington. Quite the colorful character, and quite the legend behind the character as well!

Thanks for sharing your build!

Thanks Rad, good to hear you like it too. 

I read about Akamatau. He sounded quite the character and not one to heed his superiors. No doubt demonstrated in his notoriety outside of his flying prowess.

6 hours ago, Luiz said:

Stunning!

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz.

• Like 2