1/72 Hasegawa Ki-51 Sonia

Check it out, it's 2020 now in NZ 🥳

Another of 2019's builds and another bucket list nostalgia build. Hasegawa's (originally Bandai) Ki-51 Sonia is a neat kit and still a solid choice. Outclassed by the new Clear Prop Ki-51 now.

Bare cockpit sides so added some ribbing, throttle controls and a radio box in the rear cockpit, as well as a few 'approximate' boxy items. Seat belts added from Eduard Japanese set. Black based with Tamiya lacquer then Mr Color Mitsubishi Cockpit Green. Dry brushed black items with light grey. Instrument panel dry brushed silver to pick out dials, adding colour to dials/knobs/switches. Also replaced pilots head cushion and wing gun barrels with plastic rod with the end drilled out (very finicky). Rear gun from spares with round magazine punched out from some plastic sheet. Bombs and their mounts came from a Hasegawa G3M2 Nell I'm yet to build.

I chose not to cut out the clear windows on the fuselage & below cockpit for my own ease. Rescribing done as necessary on seams or where they'd faded due to the age of the molding.

Kit fitted real well with putty only needed to touch up divots. Primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 & painted with Mr Color IJN Grey, I like this light tone & didn't have IJA grey on hand. Preshaded with dark grey around panels & white marbling before overall light grey applied in light coats. Propeller & hub painted with silver then Japanese propeller brown, yellow strips painted. Chipping done with shark No.11 blade on the propeller/blades/fuselage. Canopy treated to Future bath & masked using Eduard set.

National Insignia & fuselage stripe from Rising Decals (120% recommended), tail markings from a spare Dragon Ki-61 sheet. What...It's cool. I wanted a more unique unit insignia vs what I had to hand. I place this aircraft in China, circa 1941, maybe Rubaul circa 1943.

Panel wash was AK Dark was for yellow vehicles. Dusted up the wheels for depth and sprayed Mr Color Tyre Black for exhaust stains as is a good tone.

Photo's using my Samsung cellphone camera on my desk with two lamps for lighting.

Enjoy

J4t2b7f.jpg?1

PUFUehE.jpg

GTNtf2H.jpg

RQQbq4I.jpg

k1I0Pbv.jpg

IKCwHDz.jpg

Gx8ZtL3.jpg

nAVinfO.jpg

60N9pcz.jpg

PhuayfE.jpg

• Like 34

5 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

I've had a soft spot for this cute little plane for years now and your model ticks off all the boxes! :goodjob:

Thanks so much for sharing! :clap2:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thanks Hans

It's like a cute little puppy, size wise, compared to the Stuka which it's sitting next to.

9 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

I like the way you finished the canopy framing.  It looks like that it would be a delightful airplane to fly.  

Well done!!!!! :clap:

Thx for that. Canopy had to be sanded because it was a bit rough. Used a few different grades to get clarify, then rubbed down with Tamiya's buffing compound using my dremel on low speed. Lastly it got a good dunking in Johnsons Klear and left to dry. Used an Eduard making set for the frames. the Klear is best way to get a super glass look.

• 3 years later...