LOOKING FOR NEW COMPRESSOR

Badder

Okay, so my Simair compressor's air tank has 'blown', the manufacturer is currently unavailable, and I fear they no longer make the model concerned and won't be able to provide a replacement air tank anyway. So, I'm probably going to have to buy a new compressor. The Simair was a top of the range compressor whIch cost around 150 quid over 20yrs ago, and I had hoped it would last me a life-time (sitting in a cupboard for 16yrs unused was probably it's downfall) but now I'm not that rich and so a 'top notch' compressor is out of my league.

So, I'm after a compressor up to the 70 quid mark. It doesn't have to be quiet, but it does need to be reliable, have a moisture trap and have spares readily available.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Badder

• Like 1

5 hours ago, little-cars said:

Thanks Mr Cars,

I had a look at those earlier and didn't like the look of them. There seem to be a few identical compressors with extra bits botled on and sold as different brands. And my experience with two differentlly branded Chinese fan heaters bursting into flames whilst I slept and nearly killing me makes me very unlikely to buy Chinese again. I am now thinking about saving up a bit more money and buying a more reputable brand.

Thanks again,

Badder

2 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

I'd look at repairing the tank, or better still get a new tank. It doesn't have to be the same brand exact replacement tank. I'm sure you can modify the compressor and make a generic tank fit...

Hi Steve,

The problem with my Simair is that the tank is a bottom-mounted 'flying saucer' shape with an integral up-and-over handle welded into it. But worse still, the same applies to the columns for the air inlet and the air outlet (including the associated controls/gauges etc) So, if I do find a replacement tank then it will need to be an indentical one.

But thanks.

Badder

45 minutes ago, Badder said:

Thanks Mr Cars,

I had a look at those earlier and didn't like the look of them. There seem to be a few identical compressors with extra bits botled on and sold as different brands. And my experience with two differentlly branded Chinese fan heaters bursting into flames whilst I slept and nearly killing me makes me very unlikely to buy Chinese again. I am now thinking about saving up a bit more money and buying a more reputable brand.

Thanks again,

Badder

Hi Steve,

The problem with my Simair is that the tank is a bottom-mounted 'flying saucer' shape with an integral up-and-over handle welded into it. But worse still, the same applies to the columns for the air inlet and the air outlet (including the associated controls/gauges etc) So, if I do find a replacement tank then it will need to be an indentical one.

But thanks.

Badder

Ahh, I see. I wonder if you could get an actual Simair spare part though? I'd definitely have look before spending money on something new. The problem is that the compressor you have sounds like a good one. If you're used to a quality one I think one of those cheap chinese ones will be a let down..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Ahh, I see. I wonder if you could get an actual Simair spare part though? I'd definitely have look before spending money on something new. The problem is that the compressor you have sounds like a good one. If you're used to a quality one I think one of those cheap chinese ones will be a let down..

I've been trying to phone Simair, but no answer as I guess they are on hols. But as I said, I've googled Simair compressors and I get no results, so I don't think the company makes such things any more. Still, I will try phoning again.

Yes, it is/was a fantastic bit of kit; very quiet - not much more than a loudish hum whilst charging up with air - and with a 6 litre tank it goes quite a way between charges, air filter and moisture trap on the air intake pipe and a moisture trap on the air outlet so no water gets into the airbrush.  Shame I was away from the hobby for so long. I think using it regularly would have made the tank last longer as I would have drained/vented it regularly, changed the oil etc etc. As it was it sat in a cupboard with moisture in the tank for 16 yrs.

I've decided to make-do with the hole for now and save up some more money for a good one. I'm scratch-building a 1/35th ruined farmhouse and only need the airbrush for short bursts. The tank leaks from the off, but I can let it fill up a bit, switch it off and use what air is left for a minute or so.

Happy new year.

M

• 1 month later...

I cant vouch for the seller (although they look ok) but this is something of a bargain

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Werther-Sil-Air-Low-Noise-Air-Compressor-ideal-for-paint-spray-car-bike-projects/123309054810?hash=item1cb5cadb5a:g:p~4AAOSwfrJbcZqN

Paul