OA-4M Skyhawk 1/48

zebra

Here's my just-completed 1/48 OA-4M - last one for 2019! I needed a mojo restorer and this fitted the bill very nicely - it's taken just over a week. Apologies to anyone who might have been following my all too brief WIP, I got carried away and stopped taking photos as I went!

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4J converted to an OA-4M using a resin conversion set from Phase Hangar. The conversion set was very nice indeed, it included everything needed for the conversion (on the outside anyway), including a nice pair of seamless intakes, and everything was a pretty good fit. One thing to watch out for if you do the conversion - the instructions call for you to add the brake parachute - don't, it wasn't fitted to the OA-4M.

Decals are from Furball Aero Design and worked very well. Perhaps not quite as much contrast between some of the decals and the dark ghost grey though.

Just one thing missing which I'll always notice, and was missed in my haste as I got carried away. Can anyone spot it?

On to the photos:

1/48 OA-4M 1/48 OA-4M

1/48 OA-4M

1/48 OA-4M

1/48 OA-4M

thanks for looking and happy new year

Julian

• Like 26

4 hours ago, Peter W said:

Looks good and I quite fancy this conversion set too.

my guess - all of the stencil data?

Pete

Thanks Pete - no, I used all the stencil data on the sheet. There just isn’t enough contrast between them and the paint to show up clearly in the photos.

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Fabulous job.... just need those missing fuselage stars n bars? 😉👍

thanks - stars and bars are all there, like the stencils they just don’t show up clearly in the photos 

Going by the sounds of it, you can't fix the omission, so I guess it's something inside the cockpit like...missing mirrors? Missing inner canopy framing? Ejection seat handles should have black stripes? (These are guesses; I don't know if these things should be there).

Jon

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Going by the sounds of it, you can't fix the omission, so I guess it's something inside the cockpit like...missing mirrors? Missing inner canopy framing? Ejection seat handles should have black stripes? (These are guesses; I don't know if these things should be there).

Jon

Close enough - the back seater’s instrument panel coaming and the canopy retraction strut that sits on top of it. In my enthusiasm to get the hump and the bit that fairs it into the canopy on I had the canopy firmly glued on a bit too soon. Then had an “oh sugar” moment when I got to the last page of the instructions and saw it! Won’t make that mistake when I get to the TA-4J.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Thanks Pete - no, I used all the stencil data on the sheet. There just isn’t enough contrast between them and the paint to show up clearly in the photos.

thanks - stars and bars are all there, like the stencils they just don’t show up clearly in the photos 

Wow! Yes can see them now. Ultra low viz 😁

• Like 1

I was gonna ask if it's "Marines," but guess it was already answered. Looks great. I may have to give up my old Monogram kits in the stash to pick this up as I believe Hasegawa is reissuing the TA-4.

• Thanks 1

That's a nice looking and clean aircraft. The wash is nicely restrained, but looks even which is a trick with the uneven Hasegawa panel lines.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:19 AM, zebra said:

Just one thing missing which I'll always notice, and was missed in my haste as I got carried away. Can anyone spot it?

You are also missing the pitot tube at the top of the tail. You still have the hole it goes into, so it should be a quick addition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spejic said:

That's a nice looking and clean aircraft. The wash is nicely restrained, but looks even which is a trick with the uneven Hasegawa panel lines.

You are also missing the pitot tube at the top of the tail. You still have the hole it goes into, so it should be a quick addition.

The pitot was there, but didn’t last long!