Dauntless rear gunner position, Accurate Miniatures single to double mount conversion

MeneMene

I have a 1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-3 from the Coral Sea release, and being an early war Dauntless it has the single 0.30 rear gun. If I wanted to change the build to a later Midway or Solomons aircraft, and change this to a dual 0.30 mount in the back with the armor gunner shield, what would be the easiest way to do this, short of buying a new SBD-3 kit? Are there any aftermarket options available, or is my best bet to get a pair of 0.30 and try to scratchbuild the combination mounting?

Thanks

Edited by MeneMene

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Mene,

Eduard 48142 (discontinued) being keyed to the less detailed Hasegawa kit, has some parts to do the twin mount (other than the guns themselves, that is!) as well as useful drawings of the kit's parts. Bear in mind that the recess in the upper fuselage to store the guns had a slightly different arrangement in the doors, also. I remember that good drawings for these are in the Squadron In Action and Detail in Scale books. Those modified in the field kept the old arrangement, though!

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/48142.pdf

FErnando

• 3 weeks later...

I am actually after the same thing and I wonder if the Italerie SBD-5 could be back dated to a SBD-3 easily. I am far from a Dauntless expert, the last one I built was the 32scale Maybox one...when it was originally released.

thanks

Uwe

PS: AM SBD-3s are hard to find...I only got a SBD-1 recently...

Just now, anj4de said:

I am actually after the same thing and I wonder if the Italerie SBD-5 could be back dated to a SBD-3 easily. I am far from a Dauntless expert, the last one I built was the 32scale Maybox one...when it was originally released.

thanks

Uwe

PS: AM SBD-3s are hard to find...I only got a SBD-1 recently...

It's a different engine and cowling. Also some different cockpit details.

Also thinking along similar lines as the OP on this one. It may be possible to start with an SBD-4, however you need to find a new prop and spinner. I believe the twin gun arrangement comes with the Hasegawa -3, however from what I’ve seen the overall kit is not as nicely detailed as the Accurate Miniatures kit. If anyone knows of a way to make a ‘Midway’ Dauntless out of one AM kit without resorting to buying two separate models, I’d be interested to know as well. 

Cheers.. Dave