Weathering with tamiya varnish

Vinster

Hello all, following previous problems with varnishes (Windsor and newton's) I began using x-22 as my gloss before decals and weathering however upon using washes I was having problems with the varnish and paint all lacquer sometimes being removed. Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with this do in return to using Windsors - i found out that i needed to wait 10 mins for my Humbrol enamel washes to set before removing with Humbrol enamel thinners. I have heard lacquers can react with enamels what should I do?

• 3 weeks later...

How long are you letting the x-22 dry for before attempting to weather? What technique are you using to remove the wash?

For reference I usually wait at least 24 hours and haven't had issues with Mig enamel thinners not Mona Lisa odorless thinners on X-22. I can't imagine Humbrol thinners to be much more aggressive.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shin said:

How long are you letting the x-22 dry for before attempting to weather? What technique are you using to remove the wash?

For reference I usually wait at least 24 hours and haven't had issues with Mig enamel thinners not Mona Lisa odorless thinners on X-22. I can't imagine Humbrol thinners to be much more aggressive.

I am letting the varnish dry for an hour to 2 similar to tamiya paint but I will try this method from now on and whilst I don't have any big thinners I was wondering if turpentine would work as humbrols seems very aggressive