Airfx P-51D Mustang 1/72.

stevej60

Hi Folk's,my other two entries are progressing nicely I wasn't going to do another build but I was buying a Matchbox kit on E-bay and the seller had this kit

for four quid still in it's cellophane wrapper even after all this time so for a bit of fun I bought it,Decals are very poor and out of register but I have a couple of 

spare sets for USAAF examples.Not high on anybody's list these days especially with the new tool  being so plentiful but I thought it would be nice to have 

one in the GB.

Air%20T4%20P-51D-K%20Swedish

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 11

Afternoon folk's,with the sun shining I've been able to get Big Beautiful Doll sprayed outside and in between coats brushed the interior of this one.

painted,dry brushed and details picked out with a cocktail stick with tape belts.Looking at spare decal's I have a choice between Cookie from Revells

kit or Academy's boxing.Big surprise were the fully recessed panel lines on the kit although not particularly crisp.

20191231_142247

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I thought they were all painted Zinc Chromate

IIRC dull dark green up to early B's then interior green onwards

Zinc chromate is a dull pale yellow colour, used as a primer and left as that in wheel well interiors on parts that were primed (the main wheel well roof was bare metal, the stringers were primed)

All cockpits had a green finish coat appliedover the primer.

Hi folk's,happy to say this Airfix oldie is progressing nicely. A couple of coats of primer and Tamiya polished aluminium then a brush of Gloss

coat,Academy decal's are being used which are behaving well so far I'm liking this kit a lot so far.

20200106_202432

• Like 15

Looking good, I built the Academy P-51D as “Down for Double” when I got back into the hobby a few years back.  I recall the nose decals being a bit of a challenge.

AW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Going well. I See you doing 'Down for double' I Have this in the stash. I Might put the Decals on an Airfix new tool one day.

Great film CT,I've noted the twin rear mirrors and darker portion of the OD anti glare panel ahead of the windshield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I've noted the twin rear mirrors and darker portion of the OD anti glare panel ahead of the windshield.

Also the alternative carburettor intake is not painted white and the name seem to be in white not yellow as in the Academy decal. Im still thinking about how to correct that bit.

CT, I've also had "Down for Double" on my to-do list (48), and after watching that video, I think it has leapt to the top of the priority list!  You can't ask for much better documentation than that.  (Note that the view from starboard at the end of the video is a different flight of four.)

• Like 2

Hi folk's well the modelling God's have dealt a blow to this one too,after painting and glossing the white area the Academy decal's promptly 

destroyed themselves,why when the codes worked so well I have no idea,so managed to get her back to just the national marking's the only

set I have spare are Revell's "Cookie" but as the original finish was with a rattle can I'm not sure I can be bothered with all the masking to re-paint

the nose,I'll give it a few days thought.

• Sad 6

Did any one spot the under wing (port) codes to WR-F 'Down for Double'?/ The footage must have been done post war when unit codes were applied to the underside of the wings to prevent unauthorised low level 'buzzing'!  Nice footage though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Phooey.

Although I'm all for having another 'Cookie' in the GB😀.

Thanks Cookie,sorry to duplicate the scheme unfortunately I've no others in "stock"

• Like 1

Good afternoon Steve

It's really too bad for the decals but if you post one or two photos of your Mustang I will check in my many decal sheets and I should surely find a decoration that you could use without having to modify the paint job you have already done ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

Well I've sanded her for another re-spray sadly due to my general clumsiness both U/C legas broke so I trimmed the doors and fitted them shut

as the kit came with a stand,she's looking good again in all silver ready for detail painting.