Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.1 (New tool). She’s on the shelf of doom!

Hi everyone

2019 has been a funny old year for me, I've started many models but actually completed very few (three I think). My Hurricane along with my Typhoon (both 1/24), Spitfire IX (1/32), Lancaster and Swift (both 1/72) have all been put on hold for now and I just needed something to really reignite my interest in the hobby.

I have been signed off from work sick so I have been spending a lot  time on YouTube especially watching videos produced by a chap called PLASMO aka David Damek who I'm pretty sure used to frequent this site once upon a time and his methods have inspired me to change how I approach and finish a model. Back along I would never have bothered to clean and prime a model, re-scribe it nor would I have ever thought about using oils as a weathering medium but watching his videos I though Yeah I can do that (I already had all the gear just no idea!).

So on with the build this is the object of my affections.

46449758172_4b0bc6eeeb_c.jpg

I started her last week and my approach has been to assemble as much as I can before painting. As ever I started with the cockpit and as previously mentioned I assembled as much as I could before I applied any paint.

You will notice that the pilots seat is green because I fully assembled the cockpit I found that I couldn't paint the seat in the correct Baker lite colour (Doh!)

Starboard cockpit side wall

49294341832_4ef4ab815c_b.jpg

Port cockpit side wall

49293654533_162fd2784d_b.jpg

Assembled cockpit 'tub' which is very similar to its 1/32 brother in detail. I have added a Sutton Harness from Eduard which was weathered to match the rest of the cockpit.

49294145081_352944c971_b.jpg

49294341977_34d9b8ebf5_b.jpg

49294341927_48fff7183d_b.jpg

I am going to finish this with the canopy closed so I didn't spend that much time detailing the instrument panel

49294145181_fb50e7cb83_b.jpg

49293654033_36577a65e8_b.jpg

With the gun sight installed

49297855883_644308958c_b.jpg

49298339701_135738e28a_b.jpg

49298338871_ceaacd99c4_b.jpg

The canopy in place

49298338796_7a14896ba1_b.jpg

49297854958_aa7abd9df3_b.jpg

I've even used the Tamiya masking templates rather than buying a set from Eduard and I have to say that they were pretty easy to cut out

49300924967_df5135fccf_b.jpg

And finally a couple of pictures of her with a primer coat of Mr Surfacer 1200, which as expected has highlighted some areas that need a lot more work

49300925047_dcab58a91e_b.jpg

49300231098_867beb8136_b.jpg

Tomorrow I'll make a start on the clean up.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 19

Awesome start - and swift progress! Cockpit looks very convincing. Great to see one of these built; I have one I'm saving for when the inspiration hits - seems like a kit that deserves peak performance. Looking forward to seeing more, and thanks for the inspiration. 

Always good for an old dog to learn new tricks! Looking good so far, save for the seat mistake. But hey, maybe it was a replacement?

Seems like you’re making quick work of this one. Can’t wait to see the finish!

8 hours ago, TimT said:

Awesome start - and swift progress! Cockpit looks very convincing. Great to see one of these built; I have one I'm saving for when the inspiration hits - seems like a kit that deserves peak performance. Looking forward to seeing more, and thanks for the inspiration. 

Hey Tim

Thank you buddy, it really is a great kit and as you might expect the fit tolerances are very tight, so tight in fact that because I had a little glue seepage when I joined the upper wings to the lower they didn’t fit very well and left a gap, so I’ve given myself some extra work to do on the clean up front.

5 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Oh now that is pretty 😄

LoL thank you

3 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Always good for an old dog to learn new tricks! Looking good so far, save for the seat mistake. But hey, maybe it was a replacement?

Seems like you’re making quick work of this one. Can’t wait to see the finish!

Hi Radmax

Thanks mate - Hopefully I can get my act together later today and clean up the bits that need it then it’s on with the camo and for this I’m going a little different?

Thanks everyone

Iain

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, billn53 said:

The Tamiya kit looks to be very nice, I’m now tempted to buy one (even ‘tho 1/48 isn’t my preferred scale). You’ve done a bang-up job so far, I can’t wait to see how she looks with paint on. 

- Bill

Hey Bill

The kit is very nice and goes together really well the only problems that I have had have been of my own making....ummm some paint on now theirs a thought...

Iain

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

The kit is very nice and goes together really well the only problems that I have had have been of my pwn making....

Coincidentally, I just said nearly the exact same thing about my current build!

- Bill

Hey everyone

Time for a small update. I've managed to get some paint on the old girl and here she is minutes after I unmasked her..

49324508437_f8b13401c0_b.jpg

49323815143_8a06acc5dc_b.jpg

49324515762_c355c0706a_b.jpg

49324508427_1df830b438_b.jpg

..I need to carry out one or two alterations noticeably on the port wing camo pattern (it just don't look right) and my lord doesn't she look booooring (yawn sorry fell asleep there)

ummm I think I need to turn it up a notch, now then if only I had some alternate paint schemes for a Mk1 Spitfire........

Laters

Iain

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, 110samec said:

Looks good! Have you a particular airframe in mind when it comes to decals?

Hiya

Funny you should ask that as I do indeed have an idea for its identity (and it doesn’t include any decals?) 😀

Iain 

Nice to see you back at the bench mate, but sorry to hear about the illness. 

Hope things work out for you soon 

The build looks great, very different. Nice work 

• Like 1

Hey Ant

Thanks mate, it’s good to be back modelling I find it very therapeutic (which helps in my present state of mind) don’t worry I’m not a looney just a little emotionally mixed up. 

I hope that the scheme that I have planned works out, I’ve seen it modelled several times and it is rather striking, I just hope I can do it justice.

Thanks again mate.

Iain

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure you will Iain. 

Good to see you back but also sorry to hear about the illness, hope you’re back to normal soon.

I’ve resisted buying one of these so far on the grounds that I’ve already got more Spitfires than I’m likely to build, ( I know, you can never have too many Spitfires ) but my resistance is weakening with every build I see, especially one like this.

Happy and healthy New Year.

John

That is looking good as only a Spitfire can.

The colour scheme will be eye-catching and interesting for that mark of Spit, so looking forward to seeing it in all its glory.

Metal seats were fitted to early marks of Spit up until mid May 1940, so your seat colour is correct. By the time it got painted in the grey/green scheme it may have been swapped for a plastic seat, but no-one can say you are wrong haha.

This looks like a fun build and a great result so far. Build on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I’m sure you will Iain. 

Good to see you back but also sorry to hear about the illness, hope you’re back to normal soon.

I’ve resisted buying one of these so far on the grounds that I’ve already got more Spitfires than I’m likely to build, ( I know, you can never have too many Spitfires ) but my resistance is weakening with every build I see, especially one like this.

Happy and healthy New Year.

John

Hi John

Thank you. My present state is just a blip and I’ll back on form soon (lord help everyone). I wasn’t going to start another build let alone another Spit but I was browsing through my stash, saw this, remembered the scheme I had planned for it and bit the bullet. 

Cheers buddy and a Happy and healthy New Year to you too.

Iain

3 minutes ago, DonH said:

That is looking good as only a Spitfire can.

The colour scheme will be eye-catching and interesting for that mark of Spit, so looking forward to seeing it in all its glory.

Metal seats were fitted to early marks of Spit up until mid May 1940, so your seat colour is correct. By the time it got painted in the grey/green scheme it may have been swapped for a plastic seat, but no-one can say you are wrong haha.

This looks like a fun build and a great result so far. Build on!

Morning (or is it evening?)

Brilliant thank you for that. The scheme I have planned is very striking (for a Spit) and as you may have guessed I’m keeping under my hat, although I’m sure folks have probably figured out what I’m going for?

Cheers

Iain.

42 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Morning (or is it evening?)

Late afternoon. Not quite time for G&T on the terrace.

Looking forward to the reveal of the scheme. Will it have stars?

Just now, DonH said:

Late afternoon. Not quite time for G&T on the terrace.

Looking forward to the reveal of the scheme. Will it have stars?

Any time is G&T time 😆

Ha no - only RAF machines on my watch 😎

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Well I haven't achieved as much as I'd hoped today but I have shown my intentions with the markings for this build, everything (other than the small stencil data) will be sprayed on. First things to

receive my attention were the black 'don't walk' lines on each wing. To help me achieve consistent masking I used one of the 'Easy cutting' templates from Infinity models and I have to say

I'm impressed with its simplicity and quality...

49328791118_d0dc10579a_b.jpg

I managed to mask up and paint the lines in less than 20 minutes, the large pieces of masking tape are only there to protect the rest of the model from the unlikely chance of any

over spray..

49328790818_bc321e39bf_b.jpg

I used Tamiya XF1 for the lines them selves..

49328790978_2f2fe687a2_b.jpg

And here she is with the masks removed..

49329259396_c19ed79f8b_b.jpg 49329479812_c3e5b8a2cb_b.jpg

Whilst I was at it I touched up the camouflage on the port wing to make it look a little less 'pointy' and I filled a seam line under the rear fuselage that reared its ugly head

with some Mr Surfacer 500 and lightly sanded it back before making good..

49329033043_04746c3b23_b.jpg

Tomorrow I'll make a start on the national insignia using Montex masks as my guide.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 110samec said:

Lovely job! Those don't walk lines look brilliant, I've never thought of spraying them before, did the last ones with a pen which kind of worked but wasn't brilliant 

Hiya Samec

Thanks buddy. In the past I’ve used the supplied decals and found them to be a right royal pain to get straight, stop from tearing and stop from silvering at least with masking them you can handle the model as much as you need without damaging them and I think it’s actually quicker?

cheers

Iain 

I agree about the decals, it was the 1/72 EE lightning and I didn't get on with them at all, its why I went for the quick solution of pilot ink pen. Luckily I've had no bleeding issues with it but I'll definitely try spraying next time 

• Like 1