Help with a couple of odd C-47s

bobmig

I’ve stumbled across a couple of interesting C-47s which I can’t find any information on. The first is said to be 45-0884 (unless that’s just a partial serial). But that fuselage legend has me bewildered. I’ve not seen anything like that before. Is this some unit marking or a one-off individual aircraft marking? It almost looks like a civil airline livery.

Cargo.jpg

The next aircraft’s markings read “MILITARY AIR ATTACHE: AMERICAN LEGATION, WELLINGTON”. I’m wondering if the aircraft is in standard OD over Neutral Grey, as it would seem, or might it be a special colour as befits its special ‘diplomatic’ role. Has anyone seen other pictures of this one?

Bob

Wellington.jpg

• Like 1

45-0884 was a C-47B-45-DK Skytrain, MSN 16887/34143, which eventually went to the US Atomic Energy Commission as N810Z, according to Joe Baugher's USAAF serial numbers website (http://cgibin.rcn.com/jeremy.k/cgi-bin/gzUsafSearch.pl?target=45-0884&content=).

12 hours ago, bobmig said:

Thanks, guys! In this respect I guess it was kind of like the Northeast Airlines aircraft that operated with the Air Transport Command in both Northeast and USAAF markings.

Bob

I suspect you are correct. Regardless, it would make a nice decal subject for the new-tool Airfix C-47 (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?, know what I mean?).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I suspect you are correct. Regardless, it would make a nice decal subject for the new-tool Airfix C-47 (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?, know what I mean?).

Really!? ... You don't say! 😉

Bob

On 12/31/2019 at 11:12 AM, Space Ranger said:

eventually went to the US Atomic Energy Commission as N810Z

May well be Atomic Airlines rather than AEC as per my Hyperscale post. Carco became Atomic Airlines (which was always its nickname) when it changed hands.

Apparently some of their Bonanzas (start of the Carco era) were labelled Atomic Airlines but I have never seen a picture.