Double Deckers - over 40, but life is just beginning!

Heather Kay

12 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

We need to get a proper medical term for rigging phobia, don’t we.

doppeldeckeruslinonophobia

edit: oops forgot to say

doppledecker = German for biplane

linono = Greek for rope or string

phobia = extreme fear of

biplane-strings-fear 

sounds better as doppeldeckeruslinonophobia

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi @Heather Kay

Can i join please, you have absolutely nailed it with the fear of rigging.

I have lots of large biplane flying boats i would love to build.

I will find an excuse to build a biplane before this GB kicks off and promise to build one of the big flying boats for this GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

I know this should probably be posted somewhere else, but it sort of fits here. So, firstly Happy New Year to you fellow rigging phobics. I got to thinking, as I started my little Ford Model T Australian Army Car from ICM, that three four wheeled kits in a row is going to get boring.

So I bought the CSM Nieuport XVIII Late, thinking an aeroplane will make a nice change of pace AND I can can practice rigging.

I haven’t even stuck anything together yet, but have already had to fit four pieces of rigging (something to do with the cockpit).

And I have to say, I got on really well (nobody more surprised then me). I am using Prym 977 770 as the rigging, not sure if it’s super accurate, but it looks good. I drilled tiny, tiny, tiny holes and threaded the Prym through and stuck it using Revel FIX-kit UV activated super glue, which worked well. And then trimmed off the excess, and I’m quite pleased with the result.

On the back of this, I’m looking forward to making the rest of the kit AND the start of the group build, I think we will learn a lot from each other.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 3

A gentle Sunday afternoon bump for any more interested in the challenges of multiple wings, sticks and string. Tell your friends!

I am still amazed at how many of you have signed up so quickly, so thank you for that. I guess it’s now the long, slow, plod to get to the magic number for entry into the 2021 GB bunfight.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

A Friday night bump. Any more want to join in? :like:

This is where it gets interesting Heather. Its sometimes easy to get quite a few (about 2/3rds) to sign up. Its the last third or so that takes time and patience. They will come though as I see quite a few bi planes built on the forum. I believe you will get there with plenty of time to spare before the next bunfight in November. 

Dennis

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This is where it gets interesting Heather.

Indeed. I know this next phase will be a struggle, but there is time on our side.

I’ll try to cook up interesting things to say that might catch people's attention as they skim the What's New list.

• Like 1

Been having a look through the stash and finiding options. There's more than I realised between various Matchbox and Airfix 72nd scale options and a stray Esoteric vacform Hawker Nimrod along with three Hawker Fury and a Sopwith Schneider in 48th and a 32nd scale Sopwith Triplane. Sure there's more lurking in corners I've yet to rediscover.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

That’s a fair selection, Col.

My selection is all seventy-tooth scale, and some might need to be put together well before any likely GB takes place. In the stash, I have, in no particular order...

Heller DH89 Dragon Rapide

Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer

Mister Kit Fiat CR42 Falco

Avis Henschel Hs123A

Amodel Hawker Hector

AZ Model Avro 621 Tutor

Airfix DH82a Tiger Moth (a pair of these)

Airfix Gloster Gladiator

Airfix Fairey Swordfish

Revell/Matchbox Supermarine Walrus

Decisions, decisions! It’s pretty certain I shall only complete one build in the GB, so I need to choose wisely.

• Like 2

Good stash! I bought rigging wire last year however have no kits, was really to try radio wires. BUT I do want to build a Hs 123 and or a WWI Albatros 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Not sure how I missed this, but why ever not?

It’s quite easy to miss things in a busy forum like BM, so I’m not going to blame you. I will happily add your name to the list.

:thumbsup:

40564050045_898c91e10d_b.jpg

Here's one of my Gladiators, the Airfix recent tooling, by way of showing I have done rigging before, and I’m not afraid of it but I want to learn to do it better. This was done with fine tinned copper wire, careful measurement with dividers, and infinite amounts of patience. The wire was rolled flat and straight using a steel rule on a flat surface, carefully cut to length, then even more carefully positioned and held with drops of CA. You will note the control surface wires at the back of the wings have succumbed to finger pressure over time, while moving and cleaning the model. Future rigging will be done with various forms of elastic thread, for the sake of resilience more than anything.

• Like 7

This is a fantastic opportunity to dig out that unbuilt biplane from the bottom of the stash and build it.

How many of us have the Matchbox / Revell Heyford which looks magnificent when completed or the more humble Frog / Smer Blackburn Shark, which nearly had its own STGB in the Frog Squad GB recently  !

Whoops got a bit over enthusiastic :sorry:

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

Okay folks! Friday, and time for another gentle prod to see if any more of you might want to lend some support to this little multi-winged group build game of mine.

Perhaps you have a biplane kit in the stash. You keep meaning to dig it out and build it, but you always find a more interesting kit instead. This group build is the ideal way to overcome the fear of the multiple wings, even the dreaded rigging. There will be no compulsion to rig your model, mind, just plenty of encouragement and hints and tips on building models with more wings than most of the other kits you have stashed away! 

• Like 2

I like biplanes but rigging scares me, but hey if I can cut up a Vulcan I can put some string between some wings right?

On 31/12/2019 at 13:22, Heather Kay said:

:sad:

I thought it would be a fun title, but I see that doesn’t fit with everyone. I will think about it, and see if I can come up with something humorous, but technically correct. :happy:

Now, while I intend the GB to be chiefly about encouraging folk to overcome rigging phobias, I don’t want it to be compulsory. We model for fun, after all, and you don’t need to tell me about some aspects of making models becoming a real chore. I am not going to object to models being built that won’t have bits of string holding them together.

Now, where did I put my thinking cap? 

(A short while later...)

Stringbags, and other animals? Nope. Type specific.

Give me wings, lots of wings? No, too obscure.

Stack 'em high? It’s not a shelfstackers' convention.

Vier, Drew, Zwei - nicht Eins? Um, huh?

Fokker felt naming their triplane a Dreidecker good enough, so the original title remains. All complaints will be forwarded to the relevant department and filed accordingly. ;) 

Fancy having a bit of an odd group build? Aircraft with an extra layer of something compared to what is usual now.

So we could have biplanes, literal double deckers, aircraft with odd stacked engine configurations like the Sperrin, Mistels from ww2 and probably a lot I can't think of at 1:30 am

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Fancy having a bit of an odd group build?

That’s a fun idea, but I think we’ll restrict this group build to just what I set out in the initial proposal.

That said, though, there’s nothing to stop you promoting the idea for a future group build yourself. :wink: