Double Deckers - over 40, but life is just beginning!

Heather Kay

6 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Is it to late to be added to the list?

It’s never too late!

The list is usually intended to gather support for the group build idea. Now we’ve reached the bunfight polling stage, it’s not as necessary as when I first proposed the idea. It’s still nice to have new members.

• Like 1

Rally the troops! Gather your friends! Get along to the bunfight poll and cast your vote for Double Deckers (and up to eight other group build ideas you fancy).

The poll closes at the end of November. I understand you can amend your votes right up to the closing date, too. 

25 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

I have a load of multi story aircraft which need working.

I know what you mean! That said, unless you need the boot up the behind and like-minded support as encouragement, there’s nothing really stopping you piling in outside the group build environment. :like:

• Like 1

I know it’s early days yet, but I see from the polling numbers Double Deckers is barely making half the votes of more popular group build candidates. There’s plenty of time to take up slack - and things get interesting later on when we are allowed to get into tactical voting - but if we want to see DD get one of the nine coveted slots for 2021 we need to up our game a lot!

Vote early and often! 🗳️

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

you will be able to build any DD within the "High Wing GB" as a consolation.

Anatol, you are indeed quite correct, and thank you. Don’t forget, though, that my original idea for the DD GB was to help and encourage those of us with a real phobia of making biplanes and rigging. I wanted to form a kind of self-help group build, if you like, where those who have mastered the string knitting rigging are able to advise those of us who haven’t, as well as offer methods to ensure wings remain aligned during construction.

Perhaps I shouldn’t say it here, but I’m quite sanguine about our chances. If we don’t make it through to a slot for 2021, we won’t be alone, and at least we managed to get as far as the bunfight. 

Got my vote in.  Though it is early, I think a number of people that did sign up are first timers to Group Builds, or at least the way they are arrived at here at Britmodeller.  That is, they don't realize that signing up is only the first part, and now must be voted in from a proposed list.   Would be a good idea to notify the sign up list with the @ method with a link to the "voting booth."

regards,

Jack

Voted for this one and some others, not really up with the GB thing as only joined three before and failed to finish two of them but joined late so never done the Bumfight before.  

I will have to check but I may have one or two spare votes should I hold on to them for some future bribery??? Please forgive my ignorance in these matters.

Chris

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Voted for this one and some others, not really up with the GB thing as only joined three before and failed to finish two of them but joined late so never done the Bumfight before.  

I will have to check but I may have one or two spare votes should I hold on to them for some future bribery??? Please forgive my ignorance in these matters.

Chris

You have nine votes this year. If you burned only a few then yes you can wait. You can throw them to builds that you want to or those you think need them when the time is right. 

• Thanks 1

I'm hoping to build this 1/200 white metal kit of a Short 184 (by Langton Miniatures).

P1110752.JPG

The Short 184 was the first ever aircraft to sink an enemy ship using a torpedo.  The circumstances however, were rather bizarre.

The sinking occurred in the Aegean sea in 1915, as part of the Gallipoli campaign.  One of two Short 184s operating there had to make a forced landing in the sea, due to engine trouble.  It was approached by a Turkish tug and the Short's pilot taxied towards it.  At a suitable point, the Short released its torpedo, which hit and sank the tug.  Relieved of the weight of its torpedo, the Short was then able to take off and return to its carrier ship.

Cheers

• Like 8

A small reminder that voting is still open in the bunfight. DD has been bubbling just under the cutoff point for the past week. Although the total number of votes cast is pretty close to the total of those who signed up, I wonder if we might be able to persuade a few more to cast their ballots our way? Have a quiet word with your chums, perhaps. 

:like:

If this wins the bunfight then I’ll do the conversion from the HP Hyderabad to Handley Page W8 - the prototype when it was stripped and repainted pea green.

I’ve done my voting and this GB is vying with ‘kit you didn’t build as a kid’ which I did vote for as want to build my SRN4 as had it more than forty years !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, the bunfight group builds poll is nearing its denouement. Sadly, Double Deckers doesn’t look like it'll make the cut. This is a disappointment, but I’m happy we remained floating somewhere round the middle of the table for most of the vote.

So, assuming you haven’t already done so, it would be really nice if you could weigh in with a vote for the High Wing GB. There is a good deal of crossover between the two proposals, so please go and give High Wing some love. :like:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

give High Wing some love. :like:

Thanks Heather, that's much appreciated.

I should perhaps also add that biplanes qualify as 'High Wing', so hopefully we'll see several bipes making an appearance should the High Wing GB get through :).

Cheers

• Like 1

Here be a thought

Bipes can be built in each of the GBs currently winning through

Rigger-mortices all could form a subculture and build in those GBs but also have a 'chat' thread in the main 'Chat' section were we could show our progress, discuss threads and nylon mono-filament fishing line, micro drills et al

• Like 2

On 28/11/2020 at 09:37, Black Knight said:

also have a 'chat' thread in the main 'Chat' section were we could show our progress, discuss threads and nylon mono-filament fishing line, micro drills et al

I reckon that’s a sound idea. The High Wing GB, which now has a slot next year, would be a sensible place, I think. I’m sure the main host @CliffB, won’t mind if we hijack a corner for such discussions!

Well, as you probably know, Double Deckers didn’t make it through the final. We hovered around the middle of the table for most of the polling, momentarily across the cut-off line during the first week or so. Thank you everyone for signing up here to get us through to the poll of polls, and for voting. Never did I think back in January, when I tentatively posted my idea, that it would even gain any traction at all! I’m chuffed to bits to have made the bunfight, and even though we lost out to more popular proposals I’m very happy at what we achieved.

There's a possibility we might be allowed a free ticket for the 2022 bunfight, but I’m tempted to decline the chance. I really don’t think I’m cut out to be a GB host, if I'm honest. I’m much more of a willing participant.

22 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I reckon that’s a sound idea. The High Wing GB, which now has a slot next year, would be a sensible place, I think. I’m sure the main host @CliffB, won’t mind if we hijack a corner for such discussions!

A good idea.  It looks like it will be an August start for the High Wing GB, so let's keep thinking about the possibilities.  I'm still open to operating the GB as a merged High Wing/Double Decker, so if there's enough interest we could look at having separate Galleries etc.  

• Like 1