Jump to content

Double Deckers - over 40, but life is just beginning!


Recommended Posts

:talktothehand: STOP!
 

If you’re looking for buses, I’m afraid this is the wrong thread for you. If you like multi-winged flying things, read on. 
 

I am a little bashful at proposing a group build, partly because as a proposer I will be expected to host the thing if it gets through the ritual bunfight. Let me, nonetheless, set out my stall.

 

Since I joined Britmodeller, I’ve noticed a few of us show some reticence where models of aeroplanes with more than one set of wings are concerned. Rigging seems to put people off, perhaps understandably. However, like many of you, I find I do have several biplane kits in my stash - 10 at the present time, ranging from a humble Tiger Moth to a Supermarine Stranraer - and they need to be built. I intend to rig them, too, or end up in the loony bin trying!

 

Now, the thought of rigging doesn’t particularly worry me. Getting upper wings installed so everything’s all aligned, though, is another matter. Part of the GB's remit, then, could be to help those of us who do find the idea of multi-winged machines a little daunting. What better way to show techniques for jig-building to keep wings aligned, and to show different rigging methods, for example? 

 

There we are. That’s my proposal for a group build specialising in bi-, tri- and any other number as long as it’s more than one winged aircraft. What do you think? Up for it? Add your name and we'll see if this idea has - ho-ho! - wings!

 

  1. Heather Kay
  2. Tony W
  3. Wez
  4. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  5. Arniec
  6. Faraway
  7. zebra
  8. HockeyBoy76
  9. Black Knight
  10. nimrod54
  11. modelling minion
  12. Cookenbacher 
  13. Col.
  14. Torbjorn
  15. dn142
  16. Jockney
  17. CliffB
  18. Ted
  19. Robert Stuart
  20. exdraken
  21. Jack G
  22. klr
  23. John D.C. Masters
  24. Paul Bradley
  25. Dandie Dinmont
  26. gingerbob
  27. stevehed
  28. Ray S
  29. Bonhoff
  30. Erwin
  31. Jonners
  32. DaveyGair
  33. grufsnik
  34. alt-92
  35. AdrianMF
  36. Greg Law
  37. Grandboof
  38. Jur
  39. TonyOD
  40. CYA
  41. almac
  42. halfwit
  43. fightersweep
  44. bigbadbadge
  45. diablo rsv
  46. Mr T
  47. Marklo
  48.  

 

Well done everyone, and thanks for signing up to get my little idea to the magic threshold. There’s still room for more, but we can relax a bit now and wait for the big bunfight in November. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go on then, I've got plenty in the stash which need attention, count me in!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive got a few Heather... Add me to the list. Though i may chicken out on the rigging. Like you I may have a hard enough time just getting the wings aligned correctly.

Ah, go Dennis. I hope we can show how rigging isn’t as hard as people make it look. Besides, I’m currently thinking about a secret weapon which might help us.

1 minute ago, Arniec said:

I am in as well. I have got a few in the stash.

You are very welcome!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

Good to have you along, Jon!

Just hope my skill level is up to this rigging challenge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

That’s partly why I wanted to start this as GB. Learning as we go. 👍

Never done this before, so a bit unsure as to the procedure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What do you want to know I’ll be happy to answer your questions ? 
 

Dennis

I’m guessing we share our successes and failures ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I’m guessing we share our successes and failures ?

Yes but its also more like friendly party, there is no absolute in a group build. If you finish great, if not it doesn't matter. Just so long as you have fun doing the work. There is often friendly banter, some joking (nothing to serious), friendly advice, and camaraderie if the model goes blewie and winds up in a bin. Other than that its all about the fun and seeing what you can get done in 4 months(3 months for a single type build). At the end anything in the Gallery gets voted as to most popular build completed. Sometimes there is a prize, more often not. 
      There are group builds covering just about any subject. If you don't find one that fits the bill, you or anyone can propose one. Ive proposed 7-8 myself and have hosted a few that got through to a build. I have a few more coming up over the next year. 


Dennis

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes but its also more like friendly party, there is no absolute in a group build. If you finish great, if not it doesn't matter. Just so long as you have fun doing the work. There is often friendly banter, some joking (nothing to serious), friendly advice, and camaraderie if the model goes blewie and winds up in a bin. Other than that its all about the fun and seeing what you can get done in 4 months(3 months for a single type build). At the end anything in the Gallery gets voted as to most popular build completed. Sometimes there is a prize, more often not. 
      There are group builds covering just about any subject. If you don't find one that fits the bill, you or anyone can propose one. Ive proposed 7-8 myself and have hosted a few that got through to a build. I have a few more coming up over the next year. 


Dennis

As I thought, sounds fun. Not ready to start my Camel just yet, but shouldn’t be too long, then I’ll have to find a way to post photos.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Faraway said:

As I thought, sounds fun. Not ready to start my Camel just yet, but shouldn’t be too long, then I’ll have to find a way to post photos.

Ah, now don’t get too enthusiastic. There’s a process to undergo before we can start building.

 

I’ve proposed a group build. Now we have to get thirty like-minded nutters to sign up. Pass that milestone, we get into a voting bunfight with all the other proposed GBs. If we get through that, and are assigned a date, we might be lucky to start the build some time in 2021.

 

Mind you, there’s nothing to stop you starting a build in the usual places in the forum. Much of what Dennis said still pertains, just without the time limit and mild sense of competition.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Ah, now don’t get too enthusiastic. There’s a process to undergo before we can start building.

 

I’ve proposed a group build. Now we have to get thirty like-minded nutters to sign up. Pass that milestone, we get into a voting bunfight with all the other proposed GBs. If we get through that, and are assigned a date, we might be lucky to start the build some time in 2021.

 

Mind you, there’s nothing to stop you starting a build in the usual places in the forum. Much of what Dennis said still pertains, just without the time limit and mild sense of competition.

Ah, ok. I’ll watch and wait.👍👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zebra said:

Count me in Heather. I've got a Stranraer, an Airfix Walrus and a Silver Wings Hart in the stash. Fear of rigging is putting me off all of them!

That's the spirit!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zebra said:

Count me in Heather. I've got a Stranraer, an Airfix Walrus and a Silver Wings Hart in the stash. Fear of rigging is putting me off all of them!

Have a look at this thread on WW1 aircraft, I’ve had some fascinating replies. Sopwith Camel rigging question

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I find the suggested name misleading. Biplanes are by no means double deckers, they are biplanes. Double deckers (besides Roadmasters, of course) are planes with two decks, like A-380, Breguet Deux Ponts, Latecoere 523 etc., not with two wings. So when I opened this topic I had Deux Ponds in mind that is apparently not a subject of this GB.

 

19 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Heather Kay

I suggest you reconsider the title. Biplanes, IMO, could attract more people (myself included) than double deckers. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pin said:

Well, I find the suggested name misleading.

:sad:
 

I thought it would be a fun title, but I see that doesn’t fit with everyone. I will think about it, and see if I can come up with something humorous, but technically correct. :happy:

 

Now, while I intend the GB to be chiefly about encouraging folk to overcome rigging phobias, I don’t want it to be compulsory. We model for fun, after all, and you don’t need to tell me about some aspects of making models becoming a real chore. I am not going to object to models being built that won’t have bits of string holding them together.


Now, where did I put my thinking cap? 
 

(A short while later...)

 

Stringbags, and other animals? Nope. Type specific.

 

Give me wings, lots of wings? No, too obscure.

 

Stack 'em high? It’s not a shelfstackers' convention.

 

Vier, Drew, Zwei - nicht Eins? Um, huh?

 

Fokker felt naming their triplane a Dreidecker good enough, so the original title remains. All complaints will be forwarded to the relevant department and filed accordingly. ;) 

 

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...