Double Deckers - over 40, but life is just beginning!

Heather Kay

This gets my vote as well. I'm not sure how many multi-winged aircraft I currently have in the stash. It's probably 60+, although about 30% of that consists of multiple Gladiators, Swordfish and Tiger Moths (thank you Airfix ...). A couple of the biplanes are technically sesquiplanes, but 1.5 > 1, unless you use a rare form of banker's rounding*.

*If you don't know what that is, count yourself lucky 😬

• Haha 2

On 27/01/2020 at 23:25, exdraken said:

Yes, maybe a Cr-32 Austrian Af....

Or some WW1 Oeffag, Phoenix...

Lets see!

I like the sound of those. They strike me a exotic fare, and will fit in well!

On 28/01/2020 at 00:07, JackG said:

Count me in ... have mostly WWI subjects in the stash, along with a Gladiator and Swordfish.

I am haven’t made up my mind yet, but knowing I have both Glad and Stringbag in the stash they’d be a fair bet. Consider yourself counted!

19 hours ago, klr said:

unless you use a rare form of banker's rounding*.

*If you don't know what that is, count yourself lucky 😬

Is it anything like a baker's dozen? Actually, knowing bankers, it’s probably way worse! :D 

Many thanks for those three new names. I’m late catching up because I’ve been away from home and purposely detoxing from the interwebs for a few days. Onwards to the Magic Thirty it is!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That'll be most of us then... 

From what I have seen, none of you have any problems with rigging.  I was making a joke.  😀

I've just done it a lot.

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

:like:

Not to worry!

17 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

From what I have seen, none of you have any problems with rigging.  I was making a joke.  😀

I think it’s more we lack the confidence. Once we get stuck in, we find it’s not actually all that hard to do. We just need the prod to make a start - hence my idea for the GB.

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I like the sound of those. They strike me a exotic fare, and will fit in well!

I am haven’t made up my mind yet, but knowing I have both Glad and Stringbag in the stash they’d be a fair bet. Consider yourself counted!

Is it anything like a baker's dozen? Actually, knowing bankers, it’s probably way worse! :D 

Many thanks for those three new names. I’m late catching up because I’ve been away from home and purposely detoxing from the interwebs for a few days. Onwards to the Magic Thirty it is!

Geek alert: It's rounding (say) .5 to the nearest even number, or sometimes nearest odd number. Sounds very boring, but it can be very important, especially if a programmer uses it by mistake (don't blame me, blame Microsoft 🤨).

3 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Me please.  I can give a rigging workshop for the nervous.

😃

37 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That'll be most of us then... del

Back in the mid-1980s, I once rigged the Airfix Handley Page O/400. For some reason, I don't think I've rigged anything else since then. Of course, there are some suitable planes that have little or no rigging. No, where's that Eduard Junkers J.I, or Smer Nieuport-Delage NiD 622?

9 hours ago, klr said:

I once rigged the Airfix Handley Page O/400.

That's a tough one.  Remember, too, that the Fokker DVII has very little rigging.  And mostly only the English had double-flying wires.  An easy rig are the Nieuport 11/16/17, etc...very simple.  

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

we find it’s not actually all that hard to do. We just need the prod to make a start

Right.  And have the right tools.  Little teeny drills if that's your thing.  And the care to use them without snapping them in half!  .005 monofilament...CA...pointy sticks...magnifying glasses.  

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Right.  And have the right tools.  Little teeny drills if that's your thing.  And the care to use them without snapping them in half!  .005 monofilament...CA...pointy sticks...magnifying glasses.

Teeny drills are part of my day job stock in trade. No problem there. ;) Another aspect that I think worries modellers, beyond the strings, is ensuring extra wings are aligned properly. Techniques for jigging wing offsets will also be welcome, I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Techniques for jigging wing offsets will also be welcome, I think.

I use the best possible guide.  "The Great Eyeball Technique."  And good profiles help.  There are some mighty complex jigs out there.  I have one and I just use it for rigging.  I have always found that if the cabane struts are lined up and secure, attach the wing at those points.  Then the interplane struts should fit easily.  "Should", being the operative word.  The newer, better engineered kits are easy-peasy.  Roden?  Ha...well...not so much.  Oddly enough, the old Eastern Express biplanes are a piece of cake.  

• Like 1

Teeny drills are much easier to buy these days.  An Archimedes drill and a set of bits will cost a little over 20 pounds together - less if you go for a a pin vice.

Your LMS may be able to supply, if not some of the Shops, manufacturers & vendors will be able to help.

• Thanks 1

Right, having managed to get 23 mostly willing modellers to sign up, we are well on the way to the magic 30 which sees us entered in the bunfight for 2021 calendar spaces. There must be seven or eight more modellers with a slight phobia of many wings and rigging who can be persuaded to sign up! Come one, come all! Join the fun!

On 1/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

That's what I use.  More control with the teeny drills.  I find the Archimedes is a bit too forceful.  

Yes, bits smaller than 0.4 mm I only touch with a small pin vice. Even a large pin vice is an invitation to disaster for .2 mm bits. Also, use glasses. A broken bit can pierce your eye - I had a close call once. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

That's what I use.  More control with the teeny drills.  I find the Archimedes is a bit too forceful.  

Yes, bits smaller than 0.4 mm I only touch with a small pin vice. Even a large pin vice is an invitation to disaster for .2 mm bits. Also, use glasses. A broken bit can pierce your eye - I had a close call once. 

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

mmm, I misread the changed title, and presumed we were beyond 30.   :fraidnot:

Indeed. Over the hump of the teens and twenties, but still a few more needed to reach the goal.

I'm sure we’ll get there. It’s still early days yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Paul Bradley said:

Oh, go on then. I've a pair of Wingnuts that....well, perhaps I'll stop there......

A pair of Wingnuts will be more than welcome. It’s not my scale, but they always look beautiful when I see them at shows.

:like:

Just now, Dandie Dinmont said:

I have an Edward 1/48th Se5a and Camel (Revell reboxing) in the stash, will buy the Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth if it ever makes it into the shops and dream of one day being able to do justice to a WNW kit so I’d like to join in please. 

Welcome Craig! An interesting selection there, too. I hope the Airfix Tiggie will be in the shops if we ever get to have a proper group build! 

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Welcome Craig! An interesting selection there, too. I hope the Airfix Tiggie will be in the shops if we ever get to have a proper group build! 

Thanks Heather. I’ve just realised I have a couple of X-Wings in the stash as well. They would count right? 🙂

Craig. 

• Haha 2