Double Deckers - over 40, but life is just beginning!

Heather Kay

a. I thought this was for Routemaster buses

b. Is this only for rigging newbies? I enjoy the rigging of a bipe and I'm not too bad at it so can I join in?

example below;

1/72 Vicker's Vimy

Vickers%20Vimy%2C%20502%20sqd%2C%2004s-L

1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Bristol%20F2B%2C%20105%20sqd%2C%2004s-M.

• Like 6

Just now, Black Knight said:

b. Is this only for rigging newbies? I enjoy the rigging of a bipe and I'm not too bad at it so can I join in?

a. You’re the second person to comment on that, and no, I’m not changing the title ;)  (This is my 2020 New Me: same as the 2019 model, but with improved sense of humour. :boxing:)

b. Everyone is welcome. In fact, being a rigging veteran, your input will be all the more valuable for the noobs who do join in. My aim was to encourage those of us who don’t feel at all confident about biplanes, triplanes, sesquiplanes, etc, in general to come along and have a go. I will add your name to the list. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I should have put a smilie thingy after this - it was meant as a joke, but the smilies don't work for me

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

I should have put a smilie thingy after this

It was sort of implied, so not to worry.

I am serious about the experience thing, though. I really would like to encourage the tentative mondellers to have a bash at rigging, and those of us who’ve done it before can teach us all.

Here is my first Sopwith Pup alongside a giant tin of Humbrol enamel. :winkgrin: This was partially rigged with Albion Alloys 0.1mm nickel-silver rod/wire. Before adding the top wing, I measured the lengths between the struts using a pair of dividers and cut the rod to length, fixing them in place with small dots of superglue.

49309780027_a2eab096e0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

That's super teeny-tiny!  If you can do that in 1/144 I think:

1.  It should take the fear element out rigging for novices and...

2.  Is that your way of volunteering to be a co-host? :whistle:

Super impressive work John, well done!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You can add my name to the list please Heather

No problem, Craig. Some of my biplanes in the stash don’t have rigging, but then I don’t intend the GB to be just about the stringy bits. 

10 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

When I read the title I was thinking it was time to build a routemaster. Obviously not.

Edit - trust me to read just the first post and then reply.

;)

I believe the RT had one wing, near side front, wasn’t it? RMs welcome, provided they have more than one pair of wings. :lol:

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Please add me to the list Heather, I'm another sufferer of rigging phobia and this may just the thing I need in order to learn!

We need to get a proper medical term for rigging phobia, don’t we. Consider yourself signed up. ;) 

• Like 3

Oh okay, plenty double-deckers in my stash and even a tri-decker, sign me up and if you need a hand co-moderating I'm willing :) 

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Oh okay, plenty double-deckers in my stash and even a tri-decker, sign me up and if you need a hand co-moderating I'm willing :) 

Noted. Thanks, Col. Let’s see if we make it through to the gunfight stage.

57 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

”Double decker” means biplane here, no London-style omnibuses being around, so a perfectly apt title. Allow me to the next spot in the list, please!

Done, and welcome!

42 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I'd love to join, quite a few subjects in the stash to choose from. 

A bit of stash diving never hurts. Welcome!

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Noted. Thanks, Col. Let’s see if we make it through to the gunfight stage.

Don't you mean 'bum fight' Heather?

It's a long story that @trickyrich, @Enzo Matrix, @Hockeyboy76 et al will blame on me when in reality it's really all their fault ;) 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Don't you mean 'bum fight' Heather?

It's a long story that @trickyrich, @Enzo Matrix, @Hockeyboy76 et al will blame on me when in reality it's really all their fault ;) 

who me blame you!!!!!  

it's not my fault you became the butt of some of the jokes! But be assured I'll get to the bottom of it, I'll crack this case wide open and trust me I won't turn the other cheek!

:rofl2:

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

who me blame you!!!!!  

it's not my fault you became the butt of some of the jokes! But be assured I'll get to the bottom of it, I'll crack this case wide open and trust me I won't turn the other cheek!

:rofl2:

:crap:

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 12:10, Heather Kay said:

I am serious about the experience thing, though. I really would like to encourage the tentative mondellers to have a bash at rigging, and those of us who’ve done it before can teach us all.

Or you could take the Matrix way out and build a Fokker D.VII, Henschel Hs123 or Nieuport-Delage NiD-622.  :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1