Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther

Jasper dog

Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther, started this about 6mths ago for some reason it got sidelined. Decided to try any get it finished whilst work on the Otter potters along.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Progress had been made, not sure why it stalled, little filler required but nothing excessive.

Not sure what I'll do re' the tracks don't fancy the idea of the kit supplied ones but I'll give them a go before deciding upon an alternative. 

Lots left to do before it approaches the paint stage.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 4

Hi Darryl,

A quality model, it seems, because it seems that there is controversy with the tracks, I imagine that unnecessarily complicated ...
The Jagdpanther is a somewhat strange model, for me it has to be very well finished to like me, I did the Tamiya, and not looking bad at all, he did not quite convince me, although I did learn how not to do certain things ...🍿

Cheers mate :xmasparty:

• Like 1

It is a peculiar beast but not without a certain appeal.

Going over what's been done, noticed I'd missed drilling out a number of holes now sorted, even the ones for the tiny etched tie downs (Probably shouldn't have bothered).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Could probably do with a spray of black inside the hull and around the vents etc. Lengths of etch to fold to go above the sideskirts hangers yet. I like to get the main bulk of assembly done first before adding the more delicate items prior to painting. I can just see issues with the tiny etch tie downs whilst trying to handle it.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 4

Hi Darryl,

and is that the PEs, are a headache, I only do them when there is no other option, or substantially improve the part of plastic to replace, because once painted ... metal or plastic, there is the question ...lol.

Cheers Darryl :xmasparty:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst work on the Otter is slowed decided to press on here, got to try the new etch folding tool that was kindly recommended by one of you good chaps,  must say works a treat, thanks. (If interested it's the medium sized one).spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Folded effortlessly and evenly. If building this kit, as Soreen pointed out last year, Meng has the numbering mixed up on the instructions. The first and last of these etched fenders should be swopped diagonally. Not a biggey if you don't but the bolt heads line up better with what's beneath if you do.

Lots of little bits and pieces added, tool holders, hooks, ventilators etc, doesn't look much but takes time. Still need to spray insides yet before roof and engine grills go on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Must say it all goes together faultless, save a little filler early on. If I where doing this again I'd have cut off at least one of the front mudguards and replaced with sheet copper to allow for a little damage. 

Its tricky knowing how much to fix in place before painting, to much makes masking/painting difficult but some items, like the cleaning rod tube, should be camouflage like the rest of it. 

Haven't looked at the wheels yet, apparently they can be tricky with the poly caps, deal with those once the hull is painted.

Nice working with something that goes together relatively easily and doesn't feel to fragile in the old ham fisted mitts!

(That may change once the 20+ tiny etch tie-down are added!)

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 6

Ahhh, nice to see yor progress on this one. I learned to like this kit during the build. Not my most favourite, but still far superior to the Tamiya offering. Have the side skirts in the spares box for one of my other Panther builds.

IF you wanna listen to my opinion: do the kit supplied tracks. Yes, these require some work, but they turn out fantastic.considered all this the kit is maybe the best priced Jagdpanther on the market right now.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Soeren, the tracks are off putting but..... I shall give them a go.

Would be foolish not to try, especially when friuls are almost as expensive as the kit.

Not quite sure how but I've a number of Jagdpanther knocking about from the Revell one:fraidnot:, to the Tamiya one :shrug: and then the Dragon offering of a G1/G2 two in one offering :wacko:, could they possibly have squeeze any more plastic into that box?

Really must thin the stash.

Going to try and crack on with this now as it deserves attention. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

Thanks to the airbrush hang up managed to get a but more done on the Jagdpanther.

This being the first Meng kit I've built I'm really impressed, simple things like the sprues,  for example; If building the gun all the parts for it are on the same sprue, other manufacturers can spread the parts over 2 or 3 and have you looking all over the show it just makes things nicer, simpler, more user friendly if you will (imo).

Anyway goodness knows how many parts went into the assembly of the 88mm, apart from the periscopes it the only thing inside the hull, and even then doubt much will be seen.

Flashed some black over the insides and primed and painted the gun breach white.

spacer.png

That 88 is huge! I know its obvious but it's only when you see it, like above, you realise from muzzle to breach it's as long as the Panther itself!

Just needs a quick wash of grime and a little light weathering and it can be fitted.

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 7

What I like about they gun mount is that you get a proper elevation and traverse. SomethIng Dragon doesn't offer in their kit decriptions although the parts seem to be there. 

You sprayed the vent section black. I did some red followed by weathering and steel chips. But! You don't see nothing of that after adding the mesh screens. So black or any other dark color is OK. 

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Soeren said:

What I like about they gun mount is that you get a properating elevation and traverse. SomethIng Dragon doesn't offer in their kit decriptions although the parts seem to be there. 

You sprayed the vent section black. I did some red followed by weathering and steel chips. But! You don't see nothing of that after adding the mesh screens. So black or any other dark color is OK. 

It does, providing I don't slip up.

From what I've seen it should be red but as you suggest, once everything is in place I doubt much will be seen.

Hope you don't mind but I've had a quick read of your build for pointers.👍

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Good progress with the model, those PEs seem to look good.
I have another machine similar to that, although larger, and still it is very difficult to "tame" the PEs, some for being complicated to know what to fold first ...:popcorn:
Cheers Darryl 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Good progress with the model, those PEs seem to look good.
I have another machine similar to that, although larger, and still it is very difficult to "tame" the PEs, some for being complicated to know what to fold first ...:popcorn:
Cheers Darryl 👍

Thanks Francis, so far all been easy folds, will see how it gets on with something more complex.... guess its just practice?

Then need to figure out how to solder them all together..... thankfully not on this model.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Moving along with this, all required bits of etch attached, including the majority of little tie-downs. Roof held in place with a little clear fix, want to remove once painted to affix the periscopes. 

Primed and ready for paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

Quick blast over with vallejo Dunklegelb.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Didn't see much point in going ott with Modulation and fading as it still needs its camouflage yet.

Cheers Darryl 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work Darryl. Are you spraying the cammo or brushing it on?

John.

Thanks John, going to be a feathered edge spray job, just haven't decided upon freehand, not very good at and needing practice, or laborious bluetac worm job..:shrug:

Brush work isn't what it should be I'm afraid!

Cheers

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

This is coming together nicely looking forward to seeing it with the camo:

Roger

Thanks Roger, glad to have you along, fingers crossed it works out......:whistle:

Cheers

• Like 2

After a promising start with the dunklegelb it all went down hill from there.. 

Thought I could freehand the rotbraun, played around with the airbrush to try and achieve a fine line with a soft edge.. not really fine enough .spacer.png

Possibly over thinned the paint as it required multiple passes to cover, yet still dryed on the tip. Apart from that, airbrush has a 0.35 needle, poss to large? I increased the air pressure to just over 20psi, and screwed in the trigger stop to give more control and hopefully a finer line.. Yet still a very vague edge with far to much overspray for what I need.

Any suggestions really most welcome before I resort to blue tac or masks of some description. 

So, after letting it dry back to the dunklegelb.

spacer.png

Whilst I'm at it, is it me or does the AK rotbraun look too orange?

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

I once read that AK has quite a strong "scale effect" build in. That is really orange. Too much I would say. I like Vallejo for that, you can decide for yourself how much scale effect you wanna have.

Did you try to spray towards the inside of the red patch to realise a sharp line?

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

I used ak red brown and once the weatheirig etc is on it looks fine. Depends what look you want I wanted a really battered weather end of war type look but it may look a bit too orange if you want a factory fresh look

20 hours ago, Soeren said:

I once read that AK has quite a strong "scale effect" build in. That is really orange. Too much I would say. I like Vallejo for that, you can decide for yourself how much scale effect you wanna have.

Did you try to spray towards the inside of the red patch to realise a sharp line?

Hi Soeren, I thought it seemed quite orange, obviously it wasn't going to be brown like the late war Chocolate brown but saying that it will probably tone down with weathering etc.

Suspect I probably had an idea in my head that was incorrect anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding spraying, it's quite obvious when you think of it to spray away from the edge....:doh:

Will give it another go asap, could be weekend as it gives me more time uninterrupted.

Thanks again

Darryl

19 hours ago, Red Five said:

I used ak red brown and once the weatheirig etc is on it looks fine. Depends what look you want I wanted a really battered weather end of war type look but it may look a bit too orange if you want a factory fresh look

Hi, thanks for the pointer. As I suggested to Soeren I probably had a false idea of what it should look like anyway.

After looking at yours I can see what you mean, with a bit of playing around I'm sure it'll look fine. Did you mask yours or spray freehand?

Definitely prefer a well used example over factory fresh btw!

Cheers

Darryl 

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Soeren, I thought it seemed quite orange, obviously it wasn't going to be brown like the late war Chocolate brown but saying that it will probably tone down with weathering etc.

Suspect I probably had an idea in my head that was incorrect anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding spraying, it's quite obvious when you think of it to spray away from the edge....:doh:

Will give it another go asap, could be weekend as it gives me more time uninterrupted.

Thanks again

Darryl

Hi, thanks for the pointer. As I suggested to Soeren I probably had a false idea of what it should look like anyway.

After looking at yours I can see what you mean, with a bit of playing around I'm sure it'll look fine. Did you mask yours or spray freehand?

Definitely prefer a well used example over factory fresh btw!

Cheers

Darryl 

I used a making putty. The I could get some shading in. But the putty was a bit too thick. The camo scheme needed to have thinner yellow lines. But it looked ok in the end so I just went with it. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 1

Considering that AK startet as the "weathering brand" this is a valid statement. There were still some complaints about AK 's colors being iterpretations of the real colors. Maybe that is why they offer a real color line now. But hey, that is perfectly fine , as long as the result meets or expectations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soeren said:

Considering that AK startet as the "weathering brand" this is a valid statement. There were still some complaints about AK 's colors being iterpretations of the real colors. Maybe that is why they offer a real color line now. But hey, that is perfectly fine , as long as the result meets or expectations.

Apologies, I used MIG colours. They were ok but i found they needed to have a VERY VERY good shake otherwise they would seperate and go watery when applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2020 at 11:37, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Soeren, the tracks are off putting but..... I shall give them a go.

Would be foolish not to try, especially when friuls are almost as expensive as the kit.

Not quite sure how but I've a number of Jagdpanther knocking about from the Revell one:fraidnot:, to the Tamiya one :shrug: and then the Dragon offering of a G1/G2 two in one offering :wacko:, could they possibly have squeeze any more plastic into that box?

Really must thin the stash.

Going to try and crack on with this now as it deserves attention. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

Incase you are interest the fruil tracks are about £30, The kit tracks very nearly put me off making it as i knew id get in a real mess with them. I kind of think whilst MENG are lovley kits full of detail they overengineer things quite alot, There are processes that i think are totally pointless and fiddly that could esaily have been avoided or missed out.

• Like 2