JGSDF Type 16 Maneuver Combat Vehicle

Rich B

Had a quick trip into the "Big City" (Edmonton) and while there had a chance to visit a real hobby shop. One of the items picked up while there was the Type 16 MCV. Parts breakdown is almost identical to its larger 1/35 cousin.

spacer.png

Fit is excellent. Most of the edges on the hull and turret are chamfered leaving no seam. There are a few spots that may require a little attention from a sanding stick to clean-up. The tires are vinyl and although they don't have any makers raised lettering, they also don't have any mold marks to remove. The anti-slip areas on the upper hull and turret are molded onto the kit as well. A single torso figure is provided to fill the only hatch that can be finished in the open position. Construction starts with hull.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then onto the turret. The gun mount is installed with poly-caps that allows the barrel to be raised and lowered.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With judicious application of an X-Acto knife, sanding sticks and Extra Thin Glue, in about 4 hours you have a Type 16 built and ready for painting. The gun barrel is molded as a single piece, save a short hollowed out section at the business end, so no long seam to take care of.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ewing9593 said:

Glad to see someone building one of these as I nearly took the plunge this weekend on purchasing one.

The kit looks brilliant, great job of the build. Did you use an air brush to do the camouflage?

Cheers,

Steven

Thanks Steven.  I used the traditional hairy stick for the paint job.

Cheers,

Rich

3 hours ago, Rich B said:

Thanks Steven.  I used the traditional hairy stick for the paint job.

Cheers,

Rich

Did you do it all freehand? Or do you use masking tape to separate the two colours of the camo? Sorry for the questions, I'm not much of a painter so I need to learn the tricks.

Cheers,

Steven

14 minutes ago, ewing9593 said:

Did you do it all freehand? Or do you use masking tape to separate the two colours of the camo? Sorry for the questions, I'm not much of a painter so I need to learn the tricks.

Cheers,

Steven

No problem. I used a grey spray can primer first and then drew the pattern on with a pencil. I used colours from the Vallejo Model Air range and it took a couple of coats to get good coverage.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...