Spitfires triple build - COMPLETED

Dennis_C

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

A little progress after vacation time (out of the country surprisingly for me in this unusual year). Priming of all three Spits and miscellaneous parts is complete:

20200802_190558 20200802_185612

This is one of my favourite construction stages when the models look very clean and "sculptural". You clearly see the aircraft shapes!

Next would be some painting with black, silver, white, red and then to the camo colours. 

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Not been posting here for a while. Some distraction caused by parallel projects and more importantly by some unrest going on here in Belarus recently. 

Painting is moving slowly forward.

Painted mk.ix and mk.xix spinners white and mk.ix's red. Mk.IX propeller is fully painted now:

20200906_172611

Painted black the forward fuselage of mk.xix and played with some very basic pre-shading. I'll see how it works to make a difference to otherwise MSG and PRU blue surfaces.

20200906_172645

Today done first of the camouflage colours - sky for mk.I. I used Vallejo 71.009 Duck Egg Blue which should work okay with Hobby Color top side RAF paints.

20200906_172748

All for now.

Kind regards,

Dennis

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Some more painting progress achieved. Mk.I is covered by gloss finish today and ready for decalling!!!

20201024_171916

20201024_171842

Hobby Colour 72 and 73 are used for the top side. 

Mk.XIX is also waiting for gloss finish. Mk.IX is a bit behind as top side still to be painted.

Dennis

• Like 5

Decals applied :)

20201027_165710 20201027_165652

I did not use Tamiya kit decals. Firstly because I wanted a different aircraft, not the DWoO that is featured so often in RFIs. Secondly I was suspicious about thickness of Tamiya stencilling. 

So codes and serials are coming from Xtradecal BoB Spitfire sheet and roundels with all the stencilling is from KitsWorld set for BoB spits and hurricanes. I did not like xtradecal roundels because of too brownish red. At the same time kitsworld decals worked outstandingly, being thin and elastic creating zero cracks or silvering.

Prototype that I chose is PRoJ flown by flight lieutenant Frank J Howell of 609th squadron. There are quite a lot of information about Frank Howell's career in the web as well as his close up photo in PRoJ showing four kill marks and some strange yellow shape on the port side of his Spit (xtradecal sheet contains both decals but does not mention on the instruction...)

Other job done before I took shots is correcting red covers (sky leaked under the mask in some places), painting gun barrels and future'ing canopy.

Next is panel lines, weathering, and final assembly before matt coat.

Dennis

• Like 4

Wheels, exhausts, aerial mast, pitot on! Some light weathering and panel lines highlighting is done too.

Also do not forget wearing mask before getting final finish!

20201029_105934 20201029_105915

Couple touches with wash and some paints remaining. And then aerial after final coat.

Dennis

• Like 6

First of the three is finished!!!

A quick shot now, full photosession to be made as soon as we have a sunny day here :)

20201101_191222

Tamiya Spitfire is a very easy model that gives you a great result with not much work and little aftermarket really needed. The main drawback is a canopy with high distortion but otherwise no real problems. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Hi all,

Following up @keith in the uk comments on RFI thread on mk.I, I did several comparative shots of Xtradecal sheet that I had for BoB.

First is comparison versus completed model and KitsWorld decal

20201106_160743

This actually confirms too dark blue on kitsworld sheet. Second point - maybe this brick colour of Xtradecal roundels could work okay on a model. Still it is more red than Dark Earth so there would have been some contrast. 

Next is comparison of two Xtradecal sheets. Left is a Hurricane sheet intended among other things for some aircraft that flew in summer 1940. Right is Xtradecal for BoB Spits. 

20201106_160714

The last one is comparison to Cartograf-printed decals included in Eduard's mk.IX kit. Cartograf is above. Their red is a bit too dark to my taste but still it is more red than Xtradecal one.  Other RAF WWII roundels that I have are even more inclined towards red. 

20201106_161236

Honestly I do not know what should be the conclusion. Whose red is the best? Perhaps what matters - all roundel reds and blues in a collection should be at least more or less similar so that nothing jumps out and aircraft look to be from the same airforce. 

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis,

While I can't confirm the "correct" shades of roundel red and blue, with regard to the Hurricane I understand that (some) Gloster-built examples were turned out with their national markings in brighter shades of red and blue that have been referred to as pre-War. So maybe the muddy red and darker blue are correct?

Excellent Mk.I, by the way :)

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decalling job is done. 

20201118_145222 20201118_145203

Decals are from KitsWorld PR.XIX set for stencils and letter codes. Roundels are from the kit. The blue in Kitsworld set was too light. Like Finnish flag blue. And also oversized with 48" wing roundels being 19 mm instead of 17 mm in diameter. Airfix decals' blue is slightly purplish but roundels are spot on size-wise and colours compare fine with roundels of other post-war RAF aircraft I have. 

Kitsworld decals worked excellently again. Airfix is cranky being brittle when you try to make them into panel lines. So no surprises basically.

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update. Good progress on finishing Eduard's mk.ix. painted, finished with Tamiya clear, decals applied.

20201212_114755 20201212_114807

Decals are a mix of Eduard's native stencils and Sky Decals for Israeli roundels, codes, squadron badge and rudder stripes. 

Eduard's decals worked excellently. Thin, elastic, did not curl at all. None was lost or destroyed. The only problem is that the smallest letters are not really printed well so 'JACK HERE' or 'ELECTRICAL' lettering are useless.

Sky Decals worked fine too. However rudder stripes is something I will paint in the future probably. The decals had excessive size so removal of edges was painful. Also they were not really elastic so completely broke out on hinges leading to pretty disastrous collapse of the whole decal on the starboard. All returned back but some touches with brush will be needed to fix the created problems :(

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Posted my Spitfire mk.XIX to RFI today:

Also I thought it might be interesting to see a cost summary for the project. I did not go crazy calculating paints costs and depreciation of my table and chair. Just added up what I bought for each three kits. All prices are in £.

Spitfire Mk.I

• Tamiya kit: 12.10
  • extras: 3.67 (PE fret)
  • two decal sets: 12.91

TOTAL: £28.68 (£15.77 without aftermarket decals)

Spitfire Mk.XI

• Eduard kit: 12.49
  • extras: 6.25 (exhausts, barrels)
  • Sky's Decal decal for early IDF fighters: 16.25

TOTAL: £34.99 (£18.74 without aftermarket decals)

Spitfire PR.XIX

• Airfix kit: 11.69
  • extras: 24.90 (PE fret, canopy, exhausts, resin control surfaces)
  • KitsWorld decal: 8.5

TOTAL: £45.09

Something to highlight - Tamiya and Eduard kits already provide nice decals, while with Airfix offering stencil's are really missing and should be sought on the aftermarket. As a result Tamiya and Eduard without decals pass below 20 quid while Airfix turned two times more expensive. And even at that cost I reused undercarriage and wheels from Eduard kit! Cheapest (not so much) kit is not always the cheapest :) 

Kind regards,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 3

Hi folks!

Project is done!

IMG_0817

Very engaging project, learnt a lot about Spitfire development history, technical changes over time. Fortunately there is a lot of information on Spitfires. My main sources of information were the book on the photo below, The Spitfire Site (spitfiresite.com), and of course this forum.

I always thought it is not very interesting to build several models of the same aircraft. However with Spitfire it is not the case!!! Perhaps this is because of strong evolution of the model over time, varied purposes and operational theaters with extra mods and different camo types, varied users. And after all there are many-many heroic pages written by the pilots of this aircraft.

IMG_0807

It was not a sunny day today. So I just took a few group shots turning camera settings on maximum. Will do a dedicated photosession for LF.IXe when the weather is a little bit better. 

IMG_0822 IMG_0824

What is next? At some point I will probably get back to Spitfires - at least five are in my mind already: mk.V with tropical filter, HF version with pointed wing - probably an HF.VIII, low-back merlin or griffon version maybe in non-RAF markings, an early Seafire and a late FR.47 Seafire for Korea conflict. 

Also the idea of mini-group builds of several (at least three) aircraft of the same type is quite fascinating too. I'm now thinking about Phantoms, Bell 204/205/212/412 choppers and Mustangs. 

Dennis.

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1