F4D-1 Skyray NOTSNIK

Tamiya 1/72 F4D-1 Skyray

Painted as aircraft 130747 which was assigned to project pilot ( NOTSNIK) satellite launch platform and ASAT project 

The tamiya kit is lovely and fits really well, the first kit i have built for years that i have not used any aftermarket goodies on.

just tape seatbelts.

Starfighter decals sheet, which went on really well, except i destroyed one of the intake markings, had to use the tamiya ones which wouldnt settle.

Had fun researching this. 

thanks for looking.

f44

f45

f46

f4r1

• Like 33

Nice job on an interesting version of a really good kit. I built one with the kit decals many years ago.

I found the colour scheme interesting. Is the blue the same as that used by the USN? If so could that a/c be one of the original protypes, which were blue. If so it would it not have the J40 engine with the smaller jetpipe?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John R said:

Nice job on an interesting version of a really good kit. I built one with the kit decals many years ago.

I found the colour scheme interesting. Is the blue the same as that used by the USN? If so could that a/c be one of the original protypes, which were blue. If so it would it not have the J40 engine with the smaller jetpipe?

The information that I have found about this aircraft was that it was fitted with a J57 engine, it was also stripped of unwanted weight, which is why mine has no hook.  This was to make it fast enough in a climb to launch the satellite rocket.

1 hour ago, invidia said:

The information that I have found about this aircraft was that it was fitted with a J57 engine, it was also stripped of unwanted weight, which is why mine has no hook.  This was to make it fast enough in a climb to launch the satellite rocket.

Thank you - I should have thought of that. The J57 gave a rocket-like climb.

That is a very unique looking build and a nice bit of history.  I am putting the finishing touches to the same kit and agree that it is a cracking little model.  Perfect fit and some of the best detail that I have sever seen in a 1/72 kit.