Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hewy

A380‐800

Recommended Posts

I picked up the revell a380-800 silly cheap from the hobbycraft black friday sales, i haven't built an airliner for years and I'd  like to build it in the old british airways  landor scheme, are there any landor  decals  specifically available for the a380 -800,  or would a mash up be in order ,would maybe  a the tail decal for a 747 fit the a380 's tail , i could mask and paint some bits 

Cheers  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Hewy

 

The Revell A380 goes together fairly well but it is LARGE when finished!  As it has only been painted in the current livery, you won't find any off the shelf decals for your "what if" livery.

 

The 747 tail fin is quite a lot shorter than that on the A380 (and the edges slope at different angles), so I doubt that any 747 decal would be a good fit.  It would be easier to mask and spray the blue and red on the fin but then you would need to find a set of decals where the large silver crown is a separate item eg 26decals STS44180   This is currently out of stock but if you can find one it would also give you the narrow red stripe along the fuselage - and if those aren't long enough there would be some unused red decal from the fin which could be cut.  You'd also need decals for the registration.

 

Good luck if you go down the Landor route

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

The 747 tail fin is quite a lot shorter

Mike thanks , i actually didn't think I'd get a hit on the tinternet with side by side comparisons, but ut does show the difference quite well, I'll  use the kits reg number and window decals

11 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

This is an idea that I too have been contemplating. Try this

Yes , they may work with some deft paint work 

Thanks chaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Xtradecal Landor 777 sheet X44-001 in my for sale post if that would help https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235059459-172-aircraft-items-inc-raf-b-29-washington-package-plus-books/

 

Edit - you do get silver insignia separate from the blue background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rossm said:

I have the Xtradecal Landor 777 sheet X44-001 in my for sale post if that would help https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235059459-172-aircraft-items-inc-raf-b-29-washington-package-plus-books/

 

Edit - you do get silver insignia separate from the blue background.

I'd not thought to look at 777 decals!

 

Measuring my own set of X44-001, the thin red stripes are 360mm in total length - possibly not enough for an A380 but if you don't use the red tailfin decal that can be cut to give you a longer stripe.  I've also compared this set to my Revell 744 Landor set, despite this being a longer aircraft than the 772 the thin red stripes are slightly shorter than on the Xtradecal sheet - so this looks the best route to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Mike thanks , i actually didn't think I'd get a hit on the tinternet with side by side comparisons, but ut does show the difference quite well, I'll  use the kits reg number and window decals

Yes , they may work with some deft paint work 

Thanks chaps

Hewy, I didn't look online - having both kits I just compared the tailfins side by side!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Measuring my own set of X44-001, the thin red stripes are 360mm in total length - possibly not enough for an A380 but if you don't use the red tailfin decal that can be cut to give you a longer stripe.  I've also compared this set to my Revell 744 Landor set, despite this being a longer aircraft than the 772 the thin red stripes are slightly shorter than on the Xtradecal sheet - so this looks the best route to follow.

So ross's option of x44-001 sheet  for sale looks good ,my only concern mike as you have the 747 landor scheme too,    is the british airways decal on the side of the 747 bigger than the 777's british airways decal , cheers if you can shed another ray of light

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any decals to hand to check but another option might be draw decal's 125scale 747 Landor decals, even if it is just for the tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

125scale 747 Landor decals, even if it is just for the tail.

Thats a pretty big difference in the tail size,  though the 1/250 would be a bit smaller  wouldnt they

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 1:44 PM, Hewy said:

So ross's option of x44-001 sheet  for sale looks good ,my only concern mike as you have the 747 landor scheme too,    is the british airways decal on the side of the 747 bigger than the 777's british airways decal , cheers if you can shed another ray of light

Hi again Hewy,

 

A couple of pictures to help you:

20200102_150227

As you can see the "BRITISH AIRWAYS" decal is larger (well, certainly longer) on the 777 sheet at the top of photo......

 

….but this is still about 1cm shorter than the current A380 version

20200102_150536

 

As BA chose not to repaint one of its A380s in Landor livery for the 100th Anniversary, I guess we'll never know just how large that "BRITISH AIRWAYS"  would have been - so use your modeller's licence and go with whichever you choose!

 

Mke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

As BA chose not to repaint one of its A380s in Landor livery for the 100th Anniversary

😋 it would have used far too much paint and cost a small fortune is my guess why not ,

Thanks a lot  though mike,seeing those are a great help,and  I've  bought the 777 landor decals from ross who posted earlier,they should  fit the bill for the  flight of fancy i have in mind

Glynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have an A380 and some spare 747 Landor decals, plus all the right paints, so I might be tempted to abandon a project (nothing new there) and build a Landor A380 myself using a mix of A380, 747 and 777 decals instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

I already have an A380 and some spare 747 Landor decals, plus all the right paints, so I might be tempted to abandon a project (nothing new there) and build a Landor A380 myself using a mix of A380, 747 and 777 decals instead.

These Landor A380s are just like buses - you wait for ages and then two come along together!

 

A curiosity question:

 

Which paints do you use for the Landor livery - I prefer acrylics but so far Xtracrylix don't do them.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 04/01/2020 at 15:12, FortyEighter said:

These Landor A380s are just like buses - you wait for ages and then two come along together!

L O L :rofl:

I have Holt's HL01 for the Airbus grey, revell 374 for the aeroflex, revell 371 for the Landor grey and humbrol 15 midnight blue for the underside. I got them all (apart from the HL01) for the Landor 747 I'm doing. I have Halfords racking grey for the Boeing grey for that one. All of these are spray cans.

Edited by Abandoned Project
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 9:27 PM, Abandoned Project said:

L O L :rofl:

I have Holt's HL01 for the Airbus grey, revell 374 for the aeroflex, revell 371 for the Landor grey and humbrol 15 midnight blue for the underside. I got them all (apart from the HL01) for the Landor 747 I'm doing. I have Halfords racking grey for the Boeing grey for that one. All of these are spray cans.

Thanks,

 

HL01 and Racking Grey are in my paint cupboard.  I've used HU15 for my Negus aircraft but think it's a bit light for the Landor scheme - may try spraying it over a black base coat rather than grey.  Will have to look for the Revell rattle cans - I've tried the small pots of their acrylics but have got poor results (probably my technique).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2020 at 15:12, FortyEighter said:

Which paints do you use for the Landor livery - I prefer acrylics but so far Xtracrylix don't do them.

A a properly valid question mike , and one i was intending to ask shortly ,for some reason I'm not recieving notifications for this thread , I'm going to use halfords spray tins ,if i can get out of the tin coulors , i may decant into an airbrush, ( i prefer this ) if not I'll have to mix , although i saw , when i built a model of donald Campbell's blue bird, **

That you can get spray tins to order, with what ever  ral number you choose off the tinternet somewhere so just the ral numbers if i can't get a realistic match, i dont mind enamels either,  the tins would work out expensive but you'd get maybe a heller 72nd 707 out of them too😋  (have to create your own upscaled crest decal though), 

Ps I've thought about this too 

** from what i remember about the blue bird build, zero paints came to my rescue with a one off ral 5009  blue,

 

On 04/01/2020 at 21:27, Abandoned Project said:

Landor grey and humbrol 15 midnight blue for the underside. I got them all (apart from the HL01) for the Landor 747 I'm doing. I have Halfords racking grey for the Boeing grey for that one. All of these are spray cans.

👍👍must keep a note of these , look forward to your 747

 

Just to add i bought the 777 landor set from ross who kindly provided exra red stripes from another set , cheers @rossm

Edited by Hewy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...