considering that WW I diorama?

s.e.charles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Given the level of detail put into 1917, one thing that does intrigue is the localised weather.

Given the whole film is set over a day and just a few miles I question the difference in the climate.  The starting point, is very soggy and muddy trenches and when they go over the top they are slipping in a quagmire.  But very quickly start to progressively dry out until the destination is reached where it doesn’t look like it has rained for weeks, maybe months.

Is that possible/likely?

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nheather said:

Given the level of detail put into 1917, one thing that does intrigue is the localised weather.

Given the whole film is set over a day and just a few miles I question the difference in the climate.  The starting point, is very soggy and muddy trenches and when they go over the top they are slipping in a quagmire.  But very quickly start to progressively dry out until the destination is reached where it doesn’t look like it has rained for weeks, maybe months.

Is that possible/likely?

Cheers,

Nigel

In Hollywood anything is possible!  I had more difficulty in believing the raging torrent of a river, where did that come from?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As regards the muddy versus non muddy "realism" in films,  I think the producers may possibly be excused.

In reality front line areas were subject to constant shelling which pummeled the landscape creating the just type of terrain we associate with the Weatern Front..however if you went a few miles behind the lines you could find normal countryside undamaged by war, so perhaps not so unrealistic.

...as a kid I often talked with my grandfather who served throughout the first world war, I remember reference being made to the stark and rather surreal contrast between front line and rear areas.

just a thought....

• Like 1

The front lines could be less devastated than you might imagine, as well.  I've just finished reading 'The Lost Legions of Fromelles' by Peter Barton, and the description of the front lines and no-man's land is surprising.  The actions Peter Barton is writing about took place in 1915 and July 1916, and in the Fromelles sector there were no trenches as is usually imagined; as the water table is so shallow the trenches comprised breast words of sandbags and earth built up on the ground level.  (This probably explains why there is no trace of trenches to be seen on Google Earth!)  No-man's land was just an uncultivated wilderness, covered with long grass, unattended crops, brambles and hedges.  Both sides carried out regular grass cutting in front of listening posts and machine gun posts.  It would make an interesting and unusual diorama to have assaulting infantry wading through waist high grass and breaking through hedges.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 2:30 AM, nheather said:

Is that possible/likely?

Cheers,

Nigel

You’ve never lived in Georgia.

Wait 30 minutes and the rain storm that washed out trees and roads is dry and gone ;)