ME 109 E7 over Africa

Hello,

I just completed this lovely kit from Eduards 1/48 scale. Messerschmitt BF 109 E 7 from 2 Staffel/JG 27 flown over  Libya in  spring 1941. "Weekend Edition" is quite a funny name, because I don't think it can be done over the weekend. Maybe in Blizbuild, who knows. The kit was nice to build. By me, is the best ME 109 replica avaliable on the market right now. I used Hataka paints for main camouflage and oil-based paints for weathering. 

I hope that you will like it, enjoy .  

4od8JDF.jpg

49opGNZ.jpg

nJ5r5Gz.jpg

vNZtaSS.jpg

Lr2gXEk.jpg

b4LKxJk.jpg

Q1b7aPK.jpg

Bb8n90d.jpg

eUr3PtZ.jpg

CUaWDA4.jpg

6yJQO1X.jpg

XAoLrw4.jpg

Edited by Franz75
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 2

Nice build.  Very good paint work.

I'm building an E3 at the moment. Did you have any trouble installing the engine. Mine has very vague locating holes in the fire wall for the main mounting brackets. I had to temporarily put the fuselage halves together to get it located. Also I had to carve the engine and main engine brackets back a lot to get the top cowling on.

This is maybe the nicest model I've seen of this particular a/c  for which there's a lot of photo references if I'm not mistaken. Yours is particularly  carefully painted with nicely retsrained weathering. Well done!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Nice build.  Very good paint work.

I'm building an E3 at the moment. Did you have any trouble installing the engine. Mine has very vague locating holes in the fire wall for the main mounting brackets. I had to temporarily put the fuselage halves together to get it located. Also I had to carve the engine and main engine brackets back a lot to get the top cowling on.

Hi Greg, 

I didn't have any problems with it. But if you will be doing a close engine version, you have to crave or sand engine block hire and there to make it fit. And you don't have to install engine brackets.  For an open version, it is unnecessary to sanding it or make another kind of alteration. This kit is pretty well designed, it shouldn't have any mistakes.  If you send me a picture I will be able to help you much better.

5 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Hi Greg, 

I didn't have any problems with it. But if you will be doing a close engine version, you have to crave or sand engine block hire and there to make it fit. And you don't have to install engine brackets.  For an open version, it is unnecessary to sanding it or make another kind of alteration. This kit is pretty well designed, it shouldn't have any mistakes.  If you send me a picture I will be able to help you much better.

If you left the mounting brackets out how did you locate and fix the engine.? I can't do images today as I moving.

very pleasing to look at

did you follow the Eduard instructions for the paint scheme? the white fuselage band on your bird looks a little too thin.

the mottle looks good - you are clearly accomplished with an airbrush - but is of a slightly different style to that sported by Black 8

I think the horizontal demarcation between RLM78 and RLM79 should be softer, rather than masked off but it doesn't detract from the overall look

I believe - but cannot prove - that the spinner was one third white rather than half / half with white

this is my current project (in 1/32) so I am fairly familiar with this airframe and the 2 known photos of it

thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Thank you all,  for your kind words. 

Thank you, Nicolas, for bringing this up. Yes, I painted it by freehand and green patches aren't quite 100% exact. Regarding the demarcation line, I wasn't sure about it. Photos from the period are not the best ones and it is hard to see how it was done. I choose to follow the kit manual in this case.  I wasn't sure about RLM 02 inside. The manual calls for RLM66, but the probability of RLM 02 been used inside is much bigger, so I used it. Show pictures of your project, I'm pretty much interested to see it. 

Edited by Franz75

Nice!  I really like the early 109s - they have more character.

I'm too chicken to attempt a paint scheme like that. But if I ever do,, I will use your build as a guide.

• Like 1