Jaguar GR-1 painting conundrum

Angry_GCI

Hi all

I'm having a conundrum, with deciding whether to use POST-SHADING or preshading for the jaguar GR-1A used in Saudi Arabia 1991. 

Also I multiple avaliable desert colours and wondering whether it'd be better to use a darker colour as a base and then use the actual colour in the panel lines.

Or just to spray one colour and add bit of white to it for the post shading? 

2 hours ago, Angry_GCI said:

Hi all

I'm having a conundrum, with deciding whether to use POST-SHADING or preshading for the jaguar GR-1A used in Saudi Arabia 1991. 

Also I multiple avaliable desert colours and wondering whether it'd be better to use a darker colour as a base and then use the actual colour in the panel lines.

What's your usual painting style? Do you pre shade or post shade? 

For me, and this is only my opinion, I would prime in black, marble coat in white and grey, thin coats of the main colour keeping some of the white and grey showing through as fading and weathering. The marble in the centre of panels leaves the darker panel lines so its the best of both worlds really. 

This probably doesn't help you at all but it may well do. 

4 minutes ago, Antb said:

What's your usual painting style? Do you pre shade or post shade? 

For me, and this is only my opinion, I would prime in black, marble coat in white and grey, thin coats of the main colour keeping some of the white and grey showing through as fading and weathering. The marble in the centre of panels leaves the darker panel lines so its the best of both worlds really. 

This probably doesn't help you at all but it may well do. 

As the pink finish was a temporary coating applied over camouflage  I would suggest pre shading with Green /grey would be appropriate.

Selwyn

• Like 1

The paint was on for a fairly short time. It would either be new, in which case it would be an extremely even tint with barely visible panel lines, or it would be used, in which case it would be an extremely even tint with barely visible panel lines except that every possible place that oil could leak or liquids could collect or grounds crew could touch or vents could vent would become very dirty very quickly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

As the pink finish was a temporary coating applied over camouflage  I would suggest pre shading with Green /grey would be appropriate.

Selwyn

Agreed. 

This would actually be the closest a real aircraft comes to pre-shading.

1 hour ago, spejic said:

The paint was on for a fairly short time. It would either be new, in which case it would be an extremely even tint with barely visible panel lines, or it would be used, in which case it would be an extremely even tint with barely visible panel lines except that every possible place that oil could leak or liquids could collect or grounds crew could touch or vents could vent would become very dirty very quickly.

Again, agreed.

The aircraft were supposed to be washed prior to the application of the temporary paint, unfortunately this was done in winter with cold water washing equipment, quite how well they were washed would depend upon whether the groundcrew had cold/wet weather clothing, enough cleaning fluid, equipment and frankly just how bloody cold they were!  I know the undersides of the types I worked on weren't cleaned as thoroughly as the rest of the aircraft because frankly, nobody wants to lie on a cold, wet wash pan (and before anybody points a finger I was on nights during that period, washes were done by the day shift).

When the paint was applied it had a very even flat finish, it didn't last long.  If paint had been applied to areas which hadn't been thoroughly cleaned and degreased it didn't adhere too well.  Once the groundcrew clambered over their usual access routes it got burnished and scuffed up.  Lubrication but especially hydraulic oil are very good at stripping normal aircraft finishes, they were particularly good at stripping the ATRF temporary paint so you need to look at those areas which were prone to regular oil leaks.  Dirt also accumulates in specific areas, this highlights certain panel lines.

Then you have to think about the environment the aircraft were operated in, for instance, those areas that were exposed to sand erosion by flight at low level, the leading edges would suffer the most erosion, some areas more so than others.  Also, some areas were touched up with fresh paint, they appeared darker than the temporary paint which bleached under the desert sun.

At the end of the day it's your model but speaking as an aircraft engineer, I would suggest looking at what happens on real aircraft and try and reproduce that rather than fret over whether you should pre or post shade because real aircraft have neither.

Take a look here but bear in mind, some of the returnees were repainted for the display season following their return.

Edited by Wez
link added
  • Like 5

On 12/29/2019 at 2:07 PM, Angry_GCI said:

Hi all

Black base it.

Gulf War Jags were very worn out and patchy and black basing is the only way to realistically achieve that. If you don't know what black basing is:

1) Prime it black.

2) Spray a gray or light gray in irregular patterns and blotches throughout. Leave some parts lighter than others.

3) Spray the Desert Pink in light coats building it up. Or spray it with normal thickness but also in irregular patterns.

Once you go black (base) you never go back. :P

• Like 1