ICM 1/35 KHD A3000 cargo truck

Hi all, after MiniArt's GAZ-AA which was a challenging build I wanted to end this year with a relatively quick and easy build. Another WWII era cargo truck of course... what else? 🙂 

This is the kit, ICM's KHD A3000. 

20200205162612-74c77d7a-sm.jpg

Not a bad kit at all, nicely molded and detailed but not very complex which was fine by me. I wanted this one to be more or less in "restored" state so no weathering at all, just clean paint. I took only a few pics while building. The instructions were off on some parts and one of the drive shafts was missing a piece. 

20200205162610-4fcc3c1f.jpg

So I scratched something vaguely resembling the linkage. 

20200205162612-094d9bd1-sm.jpg

It all went together very well although the chassis has a tiny bit of a warp in it, but I think that's on me, I built it rather quickly. 

The plans call for building the cab around the interior but I wanted to complete the cab before painting it and slide the interior into the cab after finishing the paintwork. For that to work I had to cut off some protruding bits which are normally used to attach the interior to the cab. 

20200205162612-f385e300.jpg

It's not a problem to do it like this, the interior fits snugly into the cab, not even needing glue.

A little bit of detail in the interior. 

20200205162612-14e0d469-sm.jpg

I chose Vallejo's Gold Brown to paint the interior, Medium Brown for the seat. The chassis and engine are all black, no detail painting on the engine as it will not be visible and I wanted a nice and quick build. The blue is Dark Blue with a touch of black. 

20200205162609-db2bc53e-sm.jpg 

I used Gloss Varnish for the first time, I thought it would give a nice look to the truck. All paints and varnish applied by brush. 

20200205162611-99508be0-me.jpg

20200205162610-3330c5f6-me.jpg

I "borrowed" some decals from the MiniArt L1500S kit which has enough for 8 different versions anyway. 

20200205162611-20bd8f03-me.jpg

There should have been one on the back as well, but of course I managed to totally destroy it. 

20200205162610-776f7efc-me.jpg

20200205162610-a354ea5f-me.jpg

20200205162611-c10e5dc5-me.jpg

All in all, a nice little build! Thanks for watching. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

a nice little build!

That's resulted in a very nice little model! Lovely work again Jeroen, and I wish I could get an airbrushed gloss coat to look as good as your brushed ones!

Keith

edit - out of interest, can I ask what gloss varnish you used?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

edit - out of interest, can I ask what gloss varnish you used?

Hi Keith, thanks and it's Vallejo's gloss varnish.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, and yes please do! I have the Renault on my wishlist so maybe one day I'll add it to the (growing) collection.... I'd love to see you build it 🙂 

Jeroen,

You did a nice job, it's a pity that this model is not aviable in 1/24 ! 😉

May I give you some advise, I always add black ink on the edges of the clear window parts. With a Fineliner it is quite easy, after that, use some clear glue or Kristal Clear  ( Velpon also works fine ). 

With kind regards,

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

You did a nice job, it's a pity that this model is not aviable in 1/24 ! 😉

Thanks John, that's not a problem for you is it? You could easily scratch build such a truck 🙂 

6 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

May I give you some advise, I always add black ink on the edges of the clear window parts. With a Fineliner it is quite easy, after that, use some clear glue or Kristal Clear  ( Velpon also works fine ). 

You're right I forgot the window surround! I use a Molotow marker for it (normally). I will do it today.