1/72 Tamiya F-51D Costa Rican Air Force

Modelraynz

Hi Folks,

after a 'bleh' year for building - i thought id try and end the year with a Costa Rican F-51D - these were ex Texas ANG aircraft shipped at haste to costa rica)

for the interesting backstory and a ton of LIFE photos I recommend the following link:

https://jetpilotoverseas.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/ex-texas-ang-f-51-mustangs-sent-to-costa-rican-civil-war-19th-january-1955/

spacer.png

Im using the Airfix kit and Blue Rider decals.

so far ive go the basics of the cockpit base color down (a dark green) dry brushed with Testors interior green ( the colors dont show up well on my cell cam) :

spacer.png

from the photos i was unsure if the ANG planes should of have all black cockpit, or the interior green - I went with interior green just for a bit more

visual variety 🙂

Edited by Modelraynz
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Blue Rider decals.

An excellent choice all round. I have multiple Bolivian (Chaco) and Nicaraguan Blue Rider sets ready for more builds. Good luck! You will see that I have a liking for the Latin machines ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Cheers guys!

from digging through  pics, i decided to modify the kit more inline as a post-war mustang - so put the work so far on the Airfix kit away, and got out a Tamiya kit to modify to post 1950 standard B)

first up - the instrument panel issnt the best fit, so need some careful filing to fit the instrument panel combing:

spacer.png

mvWWf8c.jpg

annoyingly there's a ejector mark  just before the radiator that needs filling and sanding:

n2hbsZX.jpg

Created some Seat belts from thin foil:

spacer.png

Edited by Modelraynz
spelling
  • Like 6

On 30/12/2019 at 20:27, RidgeRunner said:

Ah ha! You're underway, Ray :). I thought the Airfix kit was 'plug and play'. I guess not.

Martin

I've found the Airfix very nice...though one of them i have the fuselage is quite warped and needing clamping?!?

On 31/12/2019 at 01:44, gingerbob said:

If you're definitely switching to Tamiya, please edit your topic title to suit.  (That can be done by editing the first post.)  Or build them both!

Done!... it might  become build no.2 ;)

Edited by Modelraynz
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Ive found the airfoc very nice...though one of them i have the fuselauge is quite waped and needing clamping?!?

Ah, thats a bugger! I'm sure you'll beat her in to submission, though. :)

Martin

so now ive got the cockpit pretty much done! 😄

Using Tamiya rubber black as a base coat, i dry-brushed Humbrol Matt 32... allowed to cure for a few days, then used XF-19 for the controls, and artists acrylic red  - for tiny things such as buttons I cant speak highly enough for artists paint, its thicker so u can 'dot' on with a tooth pic without it running out of control!

I then did a wash with thinned Tamiya smoke - a tip for retarding drying time is to spray the surface with isopropyl alcohol ( i use an old lens cleaner bottle) before putting the wash down.  Then just some decals to round it off.

blacks a real pain to photograph , but you get the general idea from the pics 😄

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Modelraynz
spelling
  • Like 12