A 1:72 Mustang trio, a B, a Mk III and a Mk IVa - No lets add another B and make it 4 Mustangs instead- All Now Complete

Cheshiretaurus

2 minutes ago, Johnson said:

P.S.

So now would probably be a good time to ask how you are going to do Dooleybird's spinner?

Having cocked mine up yesterday! :huh:

Not too sure yet, The AK cutting template will cut strips down to 0.4mm so the loose plan is to mask it. Using tape spacers to help keep the distances constant. The silhouette cutter may be used to cut the spacers exactly the size i need if I cant do it on the cutting template. 

• Like 1

A little further update

Masking and spraying today.

Did a little rework on the nose checks to clean them up then next was the yellow on the nose and wing leading edges

MI1K3b6.jpg

Olive drab next

1kQEL4Z.jpg

AWmAivJ.jpg

jx1opNZ.jpg

Got a little over spray of the yellow on the wing so over sprayed that with Alclad again.

ready for glossing next

CT

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Forgive me CT, but why yellow on the cowl? I can only go by the Matchbox box art on page one... and that's blue? :unsure:

Very good question

The Matchbox kit is the only one that shows this all other sources show the stripe to be yellow, Airfix have it show this way on their 48th and 24th scale kits.

4mPjQHm.png

On this photo it matches better the yellow in the roundel

99Khnmx.jpg

there is some discussion I read somewhere that consensus is yellow. Arthur Doley will know

Isnt scale modelling such a can of worms.:worms:

CT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

On this photo it matches better the yellow in the roundel

Agree. But a close call. I'd go yellow.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Busy weekend with the builds, mostly getting Dooleybird up to the same stage as the other two.

To paint the brass tube guns i threaded them onto some fishing line and sprayed them black. this proved a little troublesome as even on the line they blew around a lot. maybe next time ill thread them on some stiff wire instead. Anyway they are now glues into place on the Queen and the hunter.

FeierB6.jpg

The picture of the Dooleybirds right side on post above showed me I need to change the tone on the panel around the exhausts.

Panel masked up and sprayed Alclad dull aluminium.

OmSMqlm.jpg

CXPgnKb.jpg

Prop next this is the Freightdog resin one, Yellow first then used the AK cutting board to make 1.4mm (2×0.7) masking strips representing the 4" yellow tips. The middle of the blades was sprayed white then I masked a blank curved triangle shape cut on the Silhouette cutter to represent the Aeroproducts logo that I will make from an inkjet decal and apply in the same way as the lady in red on the Queen. I do have decals for this  but found they are well overscale and need to be about half that size (2mm) 

Kddpnwy.jpg

VS1bc89.jpg

So much for supposedly 1:72

03lLwva.jpg

On 3/8/2020 at 2:59 PM, Johnson said:

So now would probably be a good time to ask how you are going to do Dooleybird's spinner?

White first then mask a band using very thin cut strip of tape for the edges, the spray the blue.

gzaUHX4.jpg

the result

Ez37U6i.jpg

Unmasking had some difficulty's as a lot of paint on the spinner lifted and also on most of 1 blade that I had to redo, I think Mr Surfacer 1500  black is not very good with resin although it was no issue on the resin nose chin. I had degreased it before putting the Mr Surfacer on. Probebly should have used my newley aqired Mr Surfacer primer 1200 on resin parts instead. Oh well every day is a School day.

Now should iI risk remasking this area on the spinner as this is the second peel here or should i just put some aluminium on to make it a weathered paint chip.....think Ill go with the aluminium.

EZWroZZ.jpg

Looks ok on the Dooleybird

3221ny4.jpg

I wasnt able to find a decent 40" C type roundel for the upper wing. the matchbox ones are a not the right blue.

So Im going to try to spray them, after a practice on some scrap card I went for it, not done this before. Roundel masks were cut onto Tamiya masking sheet with the silhouette cutter. Proportions of the circles for a C type are red 3/8 white 4/8 and blue 8/8 and 40" = 14.1mm outside diameter.

Outer mask

tMBfJJT.jpg

MRP marking blue

iTdfLNb.jpg

Mask the blue

gjgkGhS.jpg

MRP white

tew25x7.jpg

mask the white

snk3Okn.jpg

MRP marking red.

XO7j955.jpg

And prey.....

unmask

ISoxOSb.jpg

Not prefect but looks good if you don't look too carefully but the colours are right.

Rest of the day was decaling, Rest of the roundels and fin flash came from the Academy sheet.

OaETaTL.jpg

Current status of the trio

4sc0VO3.jpg

Think they are all at the same stage, Stencils next for them all. But its now a week away with work just at the wrong time, but I have brought some small parts with me to work on in the Hotel room.

Best regards 

CT

• Like 9

Great stuff CT.

Bands on spinners are a pain I've decided. I used the 'apply the masking tape then cut round' technique, worked mostly..

Dooleybird looks very good, nice roundels.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Small update. Hotel room modelling.

Brought just enough stuff with me to get a few tasks out of the way, Id liked to have brought all three with me to get the stencilling out of the way but that may have involved going through and airport with them if work plans changed and risk damaging them.

m72X97I.jpg

So plan is to get the propeller decals done and paint the tyres for the Hunter, The wheels were done a while back for the other kits but the hunter was a late starter.

Propellers first, these will need a little microsol when I get home as there is just a little silvering in places to deal with before a gloss sealing and weathering.

DQNYvaU.jpg

Next was the wheels for the Hunter, I brought a bit of Humbrol 67 tank grey (favourite colour for tyres) 

vA1Ue3i.jpg

And with that an evenings modelling was complete. Hoping I might be able to sneak home on Thursday afternoon to start the stencilling.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:57 PM, Johnson said:

Bands on spinners are a pain I've decided. I used the 'apply the masking tape then cut round' technique, worked mostly..

I've had a idea of how to cut an accurate mask for spinner bands like this, need to try it when I get home. . Its too late a plan for the Dooley bird but if it works I'll use it on future builds.

CT

• Like 8

Saturday morning update, Manged to get home Thursday night and did the Stencils on the Queen & Hunter. Last night the Stencils I did the Stencils on the Dooley. This Morning I have given them a sealing gloss coat. 

They have just been given a coat of Flory grey wash on the green areas on the Queen & Hunter the rest goit a Flory grime wash. Ill let that dry now.

Here is where things stand at Saturday lunch time

U0B6R0e.jpg

I'll wipe away the excess in an hour or so then seal that in with gloss, attach the aerials then start weathering.

Still to do:-

Fit mirrors on the Queen & Hunter 

Fit undercarriage

Fit stores

Paint the guns, (again)

Complete exhausts

Matt coat

Unmask clear parts

take pictures..

CT

• Like 5

Might actually be able to finish this quad build by tomorrow night.

Aerials went on 

The Queen seems to have a simple mast so I used a length of 0.3mm plastic rod.

The Hunter has a standard one so used the one from the Academy kit

Dooley Bird also has the standard one included in the but anyone who has built the Airfix P51D will no this part is deformed (mould damage?) and of general poor quality so I used one from one of the other Academy kits

AuayUVc.png

After sealing in the Flory wash with gloss, all three got an oil dot weathering using Mig oil brushers, that was then sealed in and a matt coat put on all three.

The Queen will be the next finished and has had the next stage of weathering done with Tamiya weathering master soot and a Aluminium weathering pencil was used to represent scratches and paint chips, all again sealed in

The exhaust soot went on a bit quicker and heavier than I expected and almost obliterated the lady in red, I had to clean it off the decal with IPA on a cotton bud. Think ive had a lucky save with it.

Next I started putting the undercarriage on the queen getting the angles right with a makeshift jig.

4MBCdzx.jpg

Thats just setting now then this one might be finished tonight.

Tomorrow I'll do the same on the Hunter and Dooleybird.

CT

• Like 5

Six o'clock update

Completed the weathering and final matt coat on the Queen & Hunter, after that I did the underwing lights. 

Tried many different ways of doing these in the past, Current thinking is as follows. This is also what I did on FB387

Punch some 1mm discs out of self adhesive aluminium tape and fix them in the light recesses

Tiny drop of Tamiya clear colour in each light

Followed by a drop of UV cure glue to make the lense.

HzNpjHq.png

The Queen and Hunter are pretty much complete just need to add the mirrors and drop tanks.

2nscZvK.jpg

Dooley Bird is just about to get the final matt coat then I'll do the lights the same way.

All the drop tanks just had a gloss coat to seal the decals, they will get a flory wash and then a matt coat possibly a little fuel spillage stains too.

VpbYMe9.jpg

CT

• Like 6

Rebel looks great in the Gallery CT.

I like the interior green on the inside of the canopy. I also noticed that I'd forgotten to add the rear view mirror on mine! Too late now for this GB but I will add it and update my thread. I see the mirror on your Rebel Queen is white, may I ask where that info came from?

Thanks,

Thanks for the comments during the build.

26 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I see the mirror on your Rebel Queen is white, may I ask where that info came from?

Actually on reflection I may have made and error there, The Hunters mirror is white and I had in my mind I had also seen a pic of the Queen mirror being white, I'm mistaken, I've just looked at this pic and my best guess is now olive drab.

1mza1rZ.png

Will have to change mine now.

Regards 

CT

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 10:30 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

Actually on reflection I may have made and error there, The Hunters mirror is white and I had in my mind I had also seen a pic of the Queen mirror being white, I'm mistaken, I've just looked at this pic and my best guess is now olive drab.

Will have to change mine now

Removed the mirror this morning, (I had used gator glue) Respray and glued back on

QipllOi.png

K7xoFQ0.jpg

All happy its corrected,

I just need to do the landing light on the Dooley bird next and also wonder if I should fit aerial wires and if so what arrangement, there were many!

Difficult to see as they dont show very well on 1940s photos.

CT

• Like 4

Well done CT! Still to do mine.

1 hour ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

I just need to do the landing light on the Dooley bird

Yikes - another thing to add to Old Crow #2. The trouble with a rushed completion.

27 minutes ago, Johnson said:

The trouble with a rushed completion.

All the best projects are not finished on time. A new ship might still be being completed when it enters service or released from a re fit. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:24 AM, Courageous said:

I do like the open canopy on this type.

Open canopies usually look great on most types, but something has been bugging me on this one but wasn't sure how to fix it. Its those giant 4 inch blocks of plastic representing the hinges.

ph71lJo.jpg

On this video from Kermit Weeks it can be seen how they should look.

I'm going to cut off the blocks and replace the cockpit ledge with some plasticard and rod representations. 

Ive cut a strip of 0.125mm card 1.5mm x 10mm and scribed line down the middle. Next I glued 2 pieces of 0.3mm rod 1mm long for the hinges. This was fiddly to say the least and took a while. 

kkhxXBI.jpg

Managed to make two of them and painted them interior green with aluminium on the hinges.

NdoBjKs.jpg

Once I had test fitted them I cut the old blocks off and filed the edge of the door flush.

9xEVjp3.jpg

Think they now look much better.

ZdcAdDF.jpg

Ive also done the same with the Queen.

Stay safe and keep up the social distancing.

CT

• Like 3