Airfix 1/72 Gloster Meteor

I've built one of these in the past, sprayed it white, put the wrong decals on, first time I used pastels. But it's a quick and easy build. I've got another one in the stash that has the longer nose and some PE with it. But this one's mainly so I can practice some oil paint washes and dot colour modulation? Before I go ahead and start on my 1/48 Beaufighter. 

Anyway the build. 

20191228_140923

Marked out the gear wells on the upper wing surface, just to add some 0.5mm tube to catch some wash. 

20191228_175122

20191228_180544

20191228_180702

Ill be going for all silver and using dark brown and grey for some washes. 

🐧

• Like 4

Managed to mask the canopy with pretty much no problems. I'll clean up any excess paint that runs under the tape with a cocktail stick. 

People have probably used this brand of primer before. But I picked it up for a different project at a quid for a can. It comes out the nozzle with quite some poke so spraying from a foot away is recommended. But it dries lovely. Time will tell. 

2019-12-28_10-54-12

• Like 3

So. Got the silver on, just sprayed from a rattle can. Gloss coat, decals on using humbrol decal fix (sticky stuff) blasted with the newly acquired hair dryer from the better 3/4s, another layer of gloss coat to seal the decals. And we're here 

20191229_211305

20191229_211313

20191229_211408

I chose this one specifically because of the lack of decals. Not just because I hate putting decals on but because I wanted to practice some oil paint techniques and wanted plenty of plane to play with....now 😂

Anyway. After watching way to many YouTube videos I'm now clouded with many different opinions on how to go about the next step. 

How would any of you approach the weathering now using thinned oil paints? Do I add black first mixed with brown? Do I use light washes/filters on panels now like black and dark grey? 

I've been waiting to get to this point to practice and I'm now questioning myself on where to start. 

Advice much appreciated. 

🐧

• Like 1

Why not pit it in under "first time with washes and filters any advice" you could get poss feed back.

Oh and it's better than my hamfisted attempts 

All the best Steve

• Like 2