Roden v Wingnut Wings Albatros 1/32

Tomcat Alley

Hi All

Having just returned to modelling I wanted to look to do one of my favourite WW1 aircraft the Albatros.  I have tried to look for a post for this before but couldn't find one, so my question is, do I go Roden or Wingnut Wings for a 1/32 Albatros?

I think your answer depends on which mark of Albatros you want as if I recall they do different marks and while I would hesitate to say you could not convert from one to the other it seems a great deal of work. Roden do both the D1 and DIII while Wingnut Wings do the DV/DVa
The Wingnut Wings model is perceived as the better model but it comes with a heftier price too. 
I am pretty sure that at the least advanced modelling skills are required to change a DIII to a DV or vice versa 

D.III to D.V or vice versa is not a worthwhile conversion to attempt when there is a decent kit of each. It's a new fuselage on the D.V, for a start. So, yes, buy which ever is the type of Albatros you fancy, they are both decent kits. They are also both pretty complex and challenging kits. 

If you don't have experience with WW1 types and want a taster, you might also consider the much cheaper and less complex, but still very good, 1/48 Eduard kits as a way of breaking yourself in without committing to too much. The 'new' Eduard range which came out in I think around 2009/10, not their originals from the nineties. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

D.III to D.V or vice versa is not a worthwhile conversion to attempt when there is a decent kit of each. It's a new fuselage on the D.V, for a start. So, yes, buy which ever is the type of Albatros you fancy, they are both decent kits. They are also both pretty complex and challenging kits. 

If you don't have experience with WW1 types and want a taster, you might also consider the much cheaper and less complex, but still very good, 1/48 Eduard kits as a way of breaking yourself in without committing to too much. The 'new' Eduard range which came out in I think around 2009/10, not their originals from the nineties. 

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

I think your answer depends on which mark of Albatros you want as if I recall they do different marks and while I would hesitate to say you could not convert from one to the other it seems a great deal of work. Roden do both the D1 and DIII while Wingnut Wings do the DV/DVa
The Wingnut Wings model is perceived as the better model but it comes with a heftier price too. 
I am pretty sure that at the least advanced modelling skills are required to change a DIII to a DV or vice versa 

Thanks both for the replies. Have done WW1 before but have got a couple of kits to do in order to get back into it and practice rigging. These are Eduard 1/48 Albatros which I picked up nice and cheap.

Having seen some of the 1/32 builds on here, I really do fancy going for the larger scale, especially as the eyes seem to struggle with smaller scales now.

If you do get a Wingnut Wings kit the one thing everyone says about them is that they are superbly engineered but this means finer tolerances than one usually expects. Advice universally given is make sure that all mating surfaces are clean and free of paint etc otherwise it causes build problems. If kept pristine there are no issues. 

On 12/29/2019 at 10:04 AM, JohnT said:

If you do get a Wingnut Wings kit the one thing everyone says about them is that they are superbly engineered but this means finer tolerances than one usually expects. Advice universally given is make sure that all mating surfaces are clean and free of paint etc otherwise it causes build problems. If kept pristine there are no issues. 

Thanks JohnT, ordered one of these, so will bare that in mind