HMS LORD NELSON

beefy66

Gent's thanks for all the kind words and encouragement it really is appreciated

Well the build time on this is coming up to the full 12 month mark and I hope to have the ensign raised by the 28th a year to the day of starting with it going to be a quiet festive time I hope to have some me time at the bench to get it completed( Famous Last Words).

So small update coaling scuttles fitted to main deck also started on the Torpedo netting shelf and booms and also this strange cage near the gallery think it might be for holding a float used for target practice any thoughts welcome.  :book:

also covered the remaining ships boats with some tissue paper and trimmed before hanging to rear Davits

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope Santa is bringing you all lots of model goodies

Stay Safe and Best Wishes to All  🎅

beefy

• Like 14

16 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

Hi Beefy, looking nice mate. I think the float in the cage is a form of life buoy.

cheers

Nick

I agree.  I seem to recall reading somewhere else where this was being debated about another pre-Dreadnought that it was a lifebuoy.

• Thanks 1

Definitely a lifebuoy, and it persisted well beyond the Dreadnought era; this isn't the clearest of images, but you can see one on the quarterdeck of Ark Royal 3 as built - it's marked "Night Life Buoy".

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 18.21.12

...and here you can see one in a still from some IWM film of her alongside South Railway Jetty in Pompey in early 1941:

Ark Royal 3 port quarterdeck with clear lifebuoy shot (1)

I'm almost certain that the balls were made of copper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Definitely a lifebuoy, and it persisted well beyond the Dreadnought era;

22 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I'm almost certain that the balls were made of copper

Now I could have said something about copper balls but I will resist the temptation  :whistle:

but thank you all for the help and wealth of information you always come up with should have more progress to report tomorrow

Again a big thank you ALL  :book:

Stay Safe and Best Wishes

beefy

• Like 4

Well last up date before the RFI page main deck rails fitted and the remaining ships boats hung name plate from NAME IT also added the insulators and block on rigging using a Dab of Gator glue just a few touch ups and the torpedo netting to fit on the shelving.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 9

On 26/12/2020 at 13:52, beefy66 said:

GreatNow I could have said something about copper balls but I will resist the temptation  :whistle:

Good thing you didn't mention 'brass'.  :rofl:

Your HMS Lord Nelson looks great!  :yes:

John

• Haha 1

Thank you to all who have commented and liked this build it is really appreciated so that is it completed now in the RFI section

RFI  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085853-hms-lord-nelson-1350/

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 5

Thank you to all who have commented and liked this build it is really appreciated so that is it completed now in the RFI section

RFI  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235085853-hms-lord-nelson-1350/

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 7