HMS LORD NELSON

beefy66

Hi Keith

sorry I missed this one at the start, but all caught up now!

I too have this one in the stash and plan on building her in the near future, so I'm watching closely 😉 ... no pressure

For the colours, I've chosen Narn03 from Colourcoats to represent the standard grey used on most large Royal Navy warships between August 1902 and November 1914, no boot topping and their Anti-fouling Red for below the water line Corticene and for decks where applicable...

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RussellE said:

Hi Keith

sorry I missed this one at the start, but all caught up now!

I too have this one in the stash and plan on building her in the near future, so I'm watching closely 😉 ... no pressure

For the colours, I've chosen Narn03 from Colourcoats to represent the standard grey used on most large Royal Navy warships between August 1902 and November 1914, no boot topping and their Anti-fouling Red for below the water line Corticene and for decks where applicable...

Hi Russell I bet you can guess where I got my inspiration for this one from I think this one will be more of a learning curve for myself as well not quite sure it will be totally accurate but sure I will still enjoy it what ever the outcome.  :think: 

Stay Safe

beefy

Hi Beefy.  Looks like you've made really good progress with this kit.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result.  I was working on Agamemnon til I had a mishap with a soldering iron.  Have you done anything with the PE canopy over the sternwalk yet?  It's a terribly engineered part.  Should probably be replaced a wire frame and thin paper or something like that.  The Imperial War Museum website has lots of great reference pictures, but they created a lot of work for me correcting errors in the kit.  Deck gear on the Focsle is all wrong and as with many kits, the anchor chain gear - pelican hook, guillotine bar, etc. - is just missing.  The skylights on the poop are positioned incorrectly as well and windbreaks missing adjacent to the accommodation just for'd and aft of the turrets.  I like how the kit turns out but so many glaring mistakes and simplifications that I couldn't summon the enthusiasm to re-start after melting a large portion of the stern. 😖

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Russell I bet you can guess where I got my inspiration for this one from I think this one will be more of a learning curve for myself as well not quite sure it will be totally accurate but sure I will still enjoy it what ever the outcome.  :think: 

Stay Safe

beefy

Actually, Beefy, no, I can't.... Surely not the KGV? 😉

Will be a learning curve for me too, mate... Never done aerial spreaders before-eek!

As for the accuracy issues, well, I'm not really fussed given the time period the ship was built and the NMM's obsession with charging like a wounded bull for drawings...

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 7:23 PM, CharlieBob said:

Hi Beefy.  Looks like you've made really good progress with this kit.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result.  I was working on Agamemnon til I had a mishap with a soldering iron.  Have you done anything with the PE canopy over the sternwalk yet?  It's a terribly engineered part.  Should probably be replaced a wire frame and thin paper or something like that.  The Imperial War Museum website has lots of great reference pictures, but they created a lot of work for me correcting errors in the kit.  Deck gear on the Focsle is all wrong and as with many kits, the anchor chain gear - pelican hook, guillotine bar, etc. - is just missing.  The skylights on the poop are positioned incorrectly as well and windbreaks missing adjacent to the accommodation just for'd and aft of the turrets.  I like how the kit turns out but so many glaring mistakes and simplifications that I couldn't summon the enthusiasm to re-start after melting a large portion of the stern. 😖

Charlie sounds like a very rough time you had as for the missing parts inaccuracies this is OOB for me apart from small additions the admirals walk i have only added the base plate so far

21 hours ago, RussellE said:

Actually, Beefy, no, I can't.... Surely not the KGV?

Definitely not the KGV but from someone else we know what type of spreaders will you be using I have a set of the WEM ones fingers crossed I can get them to work out OK

Added to the bridge pper platform some fine PE here( What I really mean is it is tiny :hypnotised: and used a Sharpie pen to color the stays not to thick I think

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay safe 

beefy

• Like 12

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I like those funnel stays - what did you use?

For those that are not paying attention or have just come back from Whales  :coolio:

The funnel stays are from stripped out old electrical cables and coloured with a black sharpie pen

spacer.png

Hopefully not looking to thick but both upper and lower sets of stays fitted and the boats starting to be put into place

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the rest of the boats being painted up read to load

spacer.png

and starting on the aft mast

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

I see you've done some wood grain 👏 If you still can try to add veeeery diluted dark brown oil wash inside the boats, it'll bring out that internal planking i think I see on one of the pictures ;) 

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Michael M said:

I see you've done some wood grain 👏 If you still can try to add veeeery diluted dark brown oil wash inside the boats, it'll bring out that internal planking i think I see on one of the pictures ;) 

The word being I tried but still have most of the boats to paint up and will give it a go need to do something similar to the deck as it looks to clean and bright

I did also have a go at stretching some sprue for the funnel stays but the only thing I managed to stretch was my patience will have to give it more practice for future builds  :hmmm:

Stay Safe

beefy

Coming along nicely Matey

20 hours ago, beefy66 said:

The funnel stays are from stripped out old electrical cables and coloured with a black sharpie pen

Thinner wire is available from the likes computer linking cables, telephone wires etc....

Avoid the numpties and stay safe

Kev

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:33 AM, beefy66 said:

And the rest of the boats being painted up read to load

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

I'm enjoying this, I've been tempted by one of these, what with living in an area named after the venerable Admiral. They're quite a handsome ship compared with some of their age group too. I like the look of your steam pinnaces, not so much a thing on later ships I'm guessing.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 11:18 PM, stevehnz said:

I'm enjoying this, I've been tempted by one of these, what with living in an area named after the venerable Admiral. They're quite a handsome ship

I think you are right there Steve and you only really need to add a couple of items to get it up to scratch it comes with quite a bit of the PE as standard go for it you know you want to. :coolio:

been doing some work with the for and aft mast set up and rigging.

spacer.png

spacer.png

also added a very thin wash of paynes grey oil wash to the decking.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 19

On 9/19/2020 at 6:12 AM, beefy66 said:

Definitely not the KGV but from someone else we know what type of spreaders will you be using I have a set of the WEM ones fingers crossed I can get them to work out OK

beefy

Hi Keith...

This looks amazing so far.... Yep, WEM spreaders for me too....

PS. I know who you mean now 😉 a certain duster of a red cloth variety....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RussellE said:

PS. I know who you mean now 😉 a certain duster of a red cloth variety....

Yes Simons builds are a great reference thinking of getting the RA BURT book he has mentioned should help with a couple of others I have planned  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

this is probably a stupid question , but , I've never been game to do the wash on a wood deck beefy ,I take it , it's a really light wash , barely washed over ?

Edited by steve5

10 hours ago, steve5 said:

this is probably a stupid question , but , I've never been game to do the wash on a wood deck beefy ,I take it , it's a really light wash , barely washed over ?

Steve not stupid at all I had some practice on the leftover piece I had first dampen the wood with white spirit then use small dots of of thinned oil wash and then wipe over with flat brush

spacer.png

I tried different colours but Paynes Grey looked best to me

spacer.png

spacer.png

HTH

5 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

She’s coming together lovely Beefy, looking forward to following the rest.

The WEM spreaders are great 👍 

cheers

Nick

Cheers Nick did you use the spreaders on your Dreadnought build

2 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

If your doing Lord nelson at the Dardanelles? In Burts British Battleships 1889-1904 there is a outboard profile plan of lord Nelson showing no mast after the spotting top on the mainmast (rear one)

Graham any chance of you posting the profile

The only photos of the short mainmast I have seen where from 1916 after she was damaged by the Turkey Ottoman fort which fired on her and a Concrete cannonball end up on the deck and damaged her mast and rigging /aerials

So will be sticking with what is fitted prior to the damage I think  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

It's good to impregnate wood first with clear, stops it from 'drinking' wash. My preferred color is Van Dyke brown but heavily diluted with white spirit, more of the dirty thinner than actually a wash. Then You can apply unevenly in few goes to get desired effect. Adding some other tones to the variety also helps ;) 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Cheers Nick did you use the spreaders on your Dreadnought build

Yep, WEP spreaders with 700 denier Caenis line.

9 hours ago, Michael M said:

It's good to impregnate wood first with clear,

Hi Michael, what do you use for ‘clear’?

• Like 1