HMS LORD NELSON

beefy66

While some of my other builds are at the fragile stage to be transported when I go to my local model club meet on a thursday night to still keep me busy I had started on this one but I will still be concentrating on getting the other two completed first.

So here we have my first Hobby Boss kit and my first pre-Dreadnought HMS Lord Nelson and as some of you may know I try to keep to ships built in the area of my home town and this one fits the bill of being built on the river Tyne at Jarrow

This is how far I have got after a couple of sessions at the club this will be mostly out of the box only adding my first wood deck and the rigging using the WEM spreaders for the aerial set up.

Does anyone have any info on the correct color as the instructions are identical to Trumpeter and are probably wrong I think I should be heading for a Dark Grey 507B

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 23

Good choice there Beefy, kit looks like it's got some good detail on it, and a good selection of PE.

Great stuff so far, I'm sure I saw something about Nelson and Agamemnon initially being Dark Grey, but both changed during their service with a lighter (507c ish) in the Med? 

Think it's up to you as to when you portray her? 

Now where's that discounted Agamemnon gone? Think you've just pushed me over the edge to getting her oh the missus won't be happy with me...

Again...

Geoff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gentlemen thank you for looking in on this ride I have been trying to get some more info and looked in the Works the other day to find these books they have a small amount of info on this type of ship but should come in handy for when i get round to Dreadnought

As for the colour scheme I have tried to get the look of the ship as she would have been during the Dardanelles Attack Fleet 1915 which I think would have been a slightly Dark Medium Grey so i have used MS3 greenish grey as a base coat and will lighten with 507C as a highlight I hope this works. :idea:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now to see what it looks like with some weathering and also painted up some of the main superstructure parts.

spacer.png

and the white bands for the funnels

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 18

While I am sort of getting over the man flu I am not wanting to go anywhere near the Sovremenny build for fear of sneezing and blowing bits all over the place so tried out my laminate flooring skills and applied the wooden deck from Wood Hunter I got from Starling Models my word you only get one chance with these they stick like I don't know what but make such a difference.

spacer.png

and some of the main structures going on

spacer.png

beefy  :cold:

• Like 22

On 1/6/2020 at 2:07 PM, KAYELL said:

Looks really effective with the wooden deck

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That does make a difference - looks Fab

Get well soon

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

and I thought you boys in the NE was hard ....

Hope you get better soon

Cheers Lads but the flu thing is just me feeling sorry for myself and having to go back to work after two weeks off over the festive season  🤪 a mix of to much drink and food and wearing shorts while taking the dog for a walk it gets windy up here you know  :coolio:

Best Wishes

beefy  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well slow start to 2020 but managed to get some time on this build 12 pounders fitted to shelter deck and upper boat deck fitted also got the funnels and a couple of other bits done for now

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 16

• 7 months later...

Well after not touching this one for a while thought I had best get it back from the shelf while Swift is setting in the water starting with the ships boats it has quite a few and then some hull weathering

spacer.png

spacer.png

A thin mix of Raw umber and Burnt Sienna

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Michael M said:

Maybe add some oil on top of the brown on boats, to simulate wood grain/texture.

I also have LN and every time I push away the idea of starting it, you come up with the update in your WIP..... coincident?....... or CONSPIRACY? hahaha.

Michael no conspiracy honest and thanks for the tip on the oil grain will give it a go these are only in the base coats for now looking at the funnel stays next want to get them in place before any more work on the boats??

Stay Safe

beefy