Start up questions

750k2

Well after an almost 30yr break I'm starting up again in 3 days - figured new years day was a good target.

Bench is back in shape and found most of my tools and even added some new tools.

Was mainly aircraft and auto when I hung it up but was getting ready to try the first armour since I was a kid (early 70's)

Have 2 kubels that were just started put away along with some un-started trucks and tanks.

Now the paint stuff - past pref. was model master but with the dropping of some colors and the local shop closing

I am going to switch to Vallejo paints.

First go will be just additional weathering, chipping will come later as I try new skill lessons.

Will their primer in appropriate colors work as a primer and paint in one?

Or should use paint over the top of the primer?

I know for chipping having another prime show through would look better but will try to learn

washes and other techniques first.

Vallejo Dark yellow RAL7028 primer would be the choice.

Sorry for being long winded but I'll try and catch up as fast as I can.

Thank you for your time

Glad to see a modeller back into the hobby !

Some things have sure changed in these 30 years and paints are one of these. Vallejo paints in particular have gained a lot of following and IMHO these and other acrylics have a lot of merits, so much that today 99% of my paints are acrylics, with Vallejo's featuring prominently.

Among the various Vallejo products, I also have some of their primers and I use them quite often. I have no direct experience of their dark yellow primer, but I'd expect this to behave like all others.

IMHO these work very well with an airbrush, they can also be used with a brush but need a few coats to cover properly. Out of the bottle they are maybe a bit too watery to cover a surface quickly. Said that, they can of course be used directly as both primer and paint, with one caveat: my experience with airbrushing them is that they seem to use pigments that look slightly coarser than the ones in their standard paints: I never noticed this the few times I applied them with a brush though.

I'm quite a fan of these primers as they seem to stick very well to the plastic. The black primer in particular is my favourite to use under metallic paints.

• 1 month later...

Well I used the vallejo primer as a base coat and primer with testors acrylic and vallejo for the camo and I really like what I did.

It's not up to the standards I see in here but worked better than anticipated.

Now it's on to learning some weathering/oils stuff.